Please help - I think I bricked my desire with a ROM install!

Last Updated:

1. the ginger god

the ginger god Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi

In a bit of panic here!

I rooted my HTC Desire via unrevoked and installed ROM Manager (bought a license) and downlaoded Opendesire from within this application. The ROM downloaded I did a backup and the phone is now in a continuous loop with the "android" logo shimmering across the screen.

I cant seem to get into recovery at all and the only way to power the phone off it to remove the battery! Has anyone got any ideas for me, I have been to the toilet 3 times in 30mins so far :(

Advertisement
  2. Nodders

Nodders Well-Known Member

If you took a nandroid backup you should be alright. Does the guide here help?

the ginger god likes this.
  3. the ginger god

Thanks! I am reading it now... if anyone out there can help me please post anything and I will donate to your Paypal! I'm stressing like mad !!

EDIT: Nope, that didnt work - I cant get into this Android System Recovery menu it refers too, If I hold down the buttons it mentions I just get to that shimmering "Android text" and I have to take the battery out to turn the phone off. :(

4. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

Have you tried removing the battery and then holding the buttons down as you replace the battery? Mine got caught in a loop to the HTC screen and this got me to the recovery screen.

5. wuthton

wuthton Well-Known Member

Download fake flash from here:

Fake-flash by Koush, launching recovery on your device without a PC - Android @ MoDaCo

Obviously you will need a card reader to place the file on your sd card. It will enable you to get into recovery to either flash another rom or restore your nandroid.

Rom manager is excellent but it is wise to keep fake flash on your sd card at all times if you are flashing roms just in case you can't boot your phone.

6. the ginger god

Thanks for the input, I got it working by entering recovery finally, not sure why it didnt work the 1000 other times I tried.

Does anyone know why this problem occurred in the first place? I was really keen to try Opendesire too.

7. wuthton

wuthton Well-Known Member

It can happen for various reasons but a boot loop is no biggie if you know how to return to custom recovery.

Make sure you never pull your battery if you are flashing a new radio even if it is taking ages, one way ticket to brickville.

8. the ginger god

Thanks! I have decided to leave my phone rooted with 2.1 for now and just get the 2.2 update when it is released :eek: