PLEASE HELP! I think I bricked my phone.

Last Updated:

1. fruitpunch36

fruitpunch36 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. Anyway, I currently have Cognitionv2.3b6 installed on my phone. I messed around with the horizontal calibration and i couldnt get it back to normal. I asked how to fix it on XDA and someone suggested that my best bet was to reflash my phone. I found an Odin One-Click downloader so I can flash back to stock ROM. I needed to put my phone into download mode to do this process. I completely disregarded the forum's instructions on how to put my phone into download mode as it is similar to how to put it into recovery mode (which didn't work). I went into the power menu (I held down the power button) and I saw an option that said "Download" (excellent, i thought)! I pressed that and it rebooted. Now when it booted back up I see a yellow sign with an Android robot sweeping and it has yellow text under it saying "Downloading..." and under that it says "Do not turn off Target!!!!". I would have rebooted by myself now but it says "Do not turn off Target!!!!". It's been like this for about 15 minutes now, so I'm guessing it's not gonna budge. I have the phone plugged into my computer via USB (i did not mount my SD card when the phone was on) and USB debugging was enabled. I unplugged my phone once to see if anything would happen but nothing.... I'm just wondering what I should do from here, since I've been an iPhone guy for a while and this is the first time im doing this. I don't want to have to return my phone because I had a hard time getting this phone in the first place since I went from a Captivate to an Aria and back to a Captivate and they said I'm only allowed one return (I got them to give it to me anyway). Also, I was wondering, If it's really downloading something, is it using 3G? If it is I only have a 200MB plan and i Don't want to use it all up since the month just started.

Advertisement
  2. fruitpunch36

Also, Windows 7 recognizes it as an "Unknown Device". I'm really scared about my phone!

3. NorCal Einstein

NorCal Einstein Well-Known Member

That yellow warning screen with "Do not turn off Target" is Download Mode. It's not actually downloading anything using 3G.

You need to open Odin (and when you open it, right click and "Run as Administrator". With Odin open, get your phone back into Download mode. Once Odin recognizes your phone, click "Start", sit back and don't touch anything until it's all done.

4. fruitpunch36

Right now I have Odin open and it doesn't see my phone. It saw it before Download Mode was on. Should I take my battery out and put it back in?

5. NorCal Einstein

Yes.

Take your battery out so the phone turns off
    Open Odin (run as administrator)
    Connect your phone (Odin should recognize it)
    Get your phone into Download mode (Odin should see the phone disconnect, THEN reconnect)
    Once your in Download mode, with Odin seeing the phone, click Start.

6. fruitpunch36

Ok, one last question. Should I go into download mode the tradition way (holding down volume + power) or through the Cognition power menu?

7. NorCal Einstein

It shouldn't matter. Power menu is fine.

8. fruitpunch36

OK thanks for the help! I'll post back to tell u if it worked.

9. fruitpunch36

IT WORKED. I LOVE YOU. (no homo)

10. boxofcookies

boxofcookies Member

u know u coulda just set the phone on the table and calibrated it right?

11. fruitpunch36

I did. I tried it in every single position possible. nothing worked.