• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Please help me back up my contact pictures :)

I don't understand what "set them all manually" means. Are they on the phone's internal memory or on the SD card? This is the root forum so can we assume you're rooted? You have any backup root apps?
It means that i took pictures from wherever and "set as contact picture" each one separately

I posted the thread here because in the regular Incredible section no one can help. Also I thought that maybe since i am rooted i could find someone who knows where these contact pictures are stored and i could just use a file browser to find the whole folder and copy paste it on my computer manually.

I have my contacts backed up in: backup assistant, SD card, and Lookout. It also says that my gmail app is synced but i'm assuming that is NOT including my phone contacts because when i go online there's no phone numbers.

any ideas?

Upvote 0
I can't be sure about the Facebook/contact pictures because I don't use it. But since you have root, get Titanium Backup. You can back up everything with it. I think the phone numbers fall under Contacts 1.0 and/or the People app. It should cover all the bases so you don't have the need for mulitple backup apps.
I dont use facebook either, that's what i was saying

is there any benefit right now with BUYING the pro version or does the free basically suit all our needs? and are you sure it saves the pictures with the contacts?

Upvote 0
I dont use facebook either, that's what i was saying

is there any benefit right now with BUYING the pro version or does the free basically suit all our needs? and are you sure it saves the pictures with the contacts?

It's well worth buying it because you have to restore each app individually with the free version. Still works though if you want to try it out before buying. I only have a few contacts with pictures and they always come back when I flash Roms but I'm assuming it's because I have all my contacts set up as Google contacts. Perhaps you have some that are phone only? If so, changing all contacts to Google might be all you need to do since it'll always sync and keep them in tact. Even so, I'm 99% sure Titanium would restore them, I just don't know the exact app you'd restore to get them back.

Reactions: XXXdc5
Upvote 0
It's well worth buying it because you have to restore each app individually with the free version. Still works though if you want to try it out before buying. I only have a few contacts with pictures and they always come back when I flash Roms but I'm assuming it's because I have all my contacts set up as Google contacts. Perhaps you have some that are phone only? If so, changing all contacts to Google might be all you need to do since it'll always sync and keep them in tact. Even so, I'm 99% sure Titanium would restore them, I just don't know the exact app you'd restore to get them back.
maaan that's annoying. I guess i'll end up buying it then.

yeah i have about 400+ contacts that have been carried over from phone to phone through the past 8ish years soooo.. haha How do i switch them over to google contacts?

Upvote 0
maaan that's annoying. I guess i'll end up buying it then.

yeah i have about 400+ contacts that have been carried over from phone to phone through the past 8ish years soooo.. haha How do i switch them over to google contacts?

Open your "People" app. Then select Menu > Import/export and export your "phone" contacts to the SD card. Then turn right around and import them back. It will ask you how you want them imported...choose to save them as Google contacts. From then on, they should sync back for you.

To be on the safe side, once you're done, create a new bogus contact. John Doe with telephone # 555-555-5555 etc. If it attempts to create it as a phone contact, select Google instead. I think once you do that, it'll make all future contacts Google contacts. Phone only used to be the default, not sure if that's still the case but just trying to cover all the bases as you move forward.

Upvote 0
Open your "People" app. Then select Menu > Import/export and export your "phone" contacts to the SD card. Then turn right around and import them back. It will ask you how you want them imported...choose to save them as Google contacts. From then on, they should sync back for you.

To be on the safe side, once you're done, create a new bogus contact. John Doe with telephone # 555-555-5555 etc. If it attempts to create it as a phone contact, select Google instead. I think once you do that, it'll make all future contacts Google contacts. Phone only used to be the default, not sure if that's still the case but just trying to cover all the bases as you move forward.
thanks for the help i will try that. So google contacts for sure have the pictures backed up then? Since it's on Googles server or whatever?

then when time comes back around to whipe and restore for whatever reason i just restore contacts from google and ignore all the other methods I assume?

thanks

Upvote 0

uhhhhhhmmmmmm......now i have a bunch of contacts that show in doubles in my directory after doing this

-_____________________-

Upvote 0
Dude your phone is possessed LOL. Actually I've heard other people talk about double contacts before too. Check to see what type of contact the doubles are. Are they both Google contacts or is one of them a phone contact or other? Might just have to delete one of them unless somebody else knows a workaround. Kind of a pain but you should be good from then on unless you're having an issue I'm unfamiliar with.

Upvote 0
you may want to check the quality of the pictures with google contacts before proceeding as well. they look just fine within the messenger app and in the contact app as thumbnails, but as soon as you call someone and the picture is displayed blown up (just before connecting) the photo will be very pixelated. apparently google contacts doesn't save a resolution high enough to look nice on android at that size.

just want to give you a heads up because i know how much of a pain it is to do this manually because i did the same thing. i did it from the google contacts interface however, and was really sad to see about the poor quality. i know in the future when the resolution improves i'll have to do it all over again : (

other than that gripe, it is nice to have it there. i don't have to worry about backing up my contacts up anymore : )

Upvote 0
for the love of god this is ridiculous lol

does anyone know where the contact pictures are saved once they are assigned?? like the fil location? it would take me 30 seconds to go to the file folder, copy and paste it on my computer then BAM problem solved without all the bullshit

i already have lookout. it doesnt say anything about saving contact pictures

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones