Root Please help me decide before I go crazy

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by labnjab, Oct 7, 2010.

1. labnjab

labnjab Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2010
    I have been at this for weeks now. I rooted my droid eris and love that I did, but for the life of me I cannot decide on which rom to use and stick with. I have tried nonsensikal, kaos, tazz, and celb. I just want one where I will have great battery life. I was wondering if I can get some advice on which ones you all think are the best. I know kaos is the most popular or so it seems. I keep going back and forth on this as I type I am flashing nonsensikal 9.0 and probably will switch again later unless I get advice.

Thank you for any help.

Advertisement
  2. thetingster

thetingster Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Top Secret
    Utah, USA
    LOL, you sound like me. I have finally settled down. I may flash new ROM's just to check them out, but I have settled on xtrROM 4.6

3. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    If battery life is your #1 issue, then pick a ROM with a zanfur kernel (instead of either CFS5 or BFS), and use setCPU with aggressive downclocking (e.g. 19 Mhz min, 160 Mhz max) when the display is off, and a cascade of profiles that reduces the max clock rate as the battery reserve drops. The CFS kernels have exhibited occasional strangeness when using setCPU, and (iirc), I think the same is true of the BFS kernels, so you can not employ the same strategy for preserving battery life with ROMs using those kernels.

There might be a (Koush "any kernel") flashable .zip with the zanfur kernel lying around somewhere - that would enable you to choose whatever ROM you like first, and then install the zanfur kernel after.

eu1

4. NPH-

NPH- Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Texas
    i have xtrsense and I absolutely love it!

great rom, nice stock feel, all around great rom

try it out if you haven't (try it for at least 2 days)

5. labnjab

labnjab Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2010
    ive been debating on trying a 2.1 rom again. I think I may flash one on my phone just to try it.

6. cmotion

cmotion Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    I would like to throw my two cents in here and also whole-heartedly recommend xtrROM4.6 or xtrSENSE4.6 if you enjoy the Sense launcher. I've been playing with Froyo roms for a while and after going back to xtrROM my phone has never run better. :) Definitely give 2.1 a chance, I feel like with this rom you will be very happy!

7. dansjeep

dansjeep Active Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Project manager
    Southern california
    I too have been struggling with this.
    Currently playing with XtrSense new 4.6 It's a sweet ROM with lots of features and very configurable.
    Also looking at a nonsensikal 9.0. It's Froyo ROM, so JIT is native.
    I ran some benchmark tests and nonsensikal wins them all, even when I enable JIT on the XtraSense.
    I do need more time to see what fits my lifestyle, so I'm going to set up nonsensikal on my Eris and see how it does for a couple of days, and then do the same for the XtraSense.
    I think these 2 ROMs are the best (certainly the newest without stupid bugs like to LED notification) out there in Eclair and Froyo.

8. doogald

doogald  
    Guide

Jan 7, 2010
    That's the smartest thing, really. Just remember that benchmarks only test some things. It's how the phone really works for you that counts.