• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Please help me, Im so confused.

DanRyder

Lurker
Sep 19, 2011
Hey guys, Im new to the forum and i am looking for a bit of help.

My wife recently got a HTC Desire S and i had a little go on it and decided to scrap my iphone and get one of these badboys.

However im confused, After reading online that HTC Desire S does not play avi format i decided to try anyway and just set it to hard disk mode and drag a few on there and they all worked fine... So why are they saying that it does not support avi? Nothing has been downloaded app wise that would allow it to play. Unboxed connected and dragged..they work..

I downloaded doubletwist to see if it would sync faster than they transfer ( as transfering the files takes forever) However it seems to still take ages to sync, If they are already MP4 they are abit quicker but if they are not it takes forever.

Could i get a few answers as to why HTC Desire S is playing AVi's no problem when it apparently can not?

And if there is a better "sync" programme other than doubletwist as im sick of dragging one file and having to reclick the folder just to see what i put there.

Last one, Is there anyway to add the name of the video instead of just a screen shot? Like on the iphone it would have a screenshot of the movie and underneath for instance it would have "Hard Target" . I hope you understand that xD!

Thanks you guys!

Who are saying it doesn't support .avi? See here from the horse's mouth.

Wirelessly syncing and transfering big files isn't going to be that speedy. You can try an app like 'ASTRO File Manager' to see if that transfers things faster than DoubleTwist, but I don't think you'll see a great difference. Using ASTRO, it takes me about 2 minutes to transfer a 40MB file. Using the USB cable (always the fastest method), it takes less than 10 seconds. (One cause of slow transfer speeds could be to do with the SD card, but if it's the one that came with the phone, you should be alright.)

I don't think there's any way to add a label to the video image in the stock Gallery app. There might be an app that does what you want, but I don't know of any.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones