please help me quickly confirm something - GPS related

Last Updated:

1. jmt9779

jmt9779 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Alright guys, please bear with me as I'm new to the Droid, Android, and GPS capability in my phone...

I downloaded Beautiful Widgets (totally awesome, by the way) and I just want to confirm how the GPS toggle widget works since it seems to just be a shortcut to a setting in the OS as opposed to the wifi and bluetooth toggle widgets which do their own thing... When you tap the GPS toggle widget it, it takes you the "location & security settings" part of the OS settings. I'm assuming that at this point you either check/uncheck the "Use GPS satellites" to turn on/off the GPS chip in this phone? Can I leave it unchecked and just before I need to get some directions or navigation, turn it back on?...What I'm getting at is: Can I turn it on and off according my need for it at any given moment?

Thanks guys!

Advertisement
  2. kabbie_mcfeely

kabbie_mcfeely Well-Known Member

Yes you can leave it off till you need it. That will even help you use less battery.

That's how I use the GPS, leave it off till needed.

3. SinfulDragon

SinfulDragon Well-Known Member

sure ya can, but why?

When you turn on GPS and its being used you see a little icon (up next to the 3G, WIFI icons) that lets you know its in use, don't see it, its not being used.

What I'm getting at here is mine is on all day every day, and GPS isn't on the list of whats causing my battery to go dead.

Leaving it on also allows your apps to work a bit faster as they will already be in sync with the Sats

4. Gunner

Gunner Well-Known Member

I agree w/ SinfulDragon. I leave mine turned 'on' 24/7. The reality is that it's in 'sleep' mode, and kicks in only when needed. Otherwise, it's not being used & not using power, even though it's designated as 'On' via my power control widget.

And you ought to use the Power Control widget that comes w/ Android. A lot easier than digging into settings everytime you want to use the GPS.

5. jmt9779

jmt9779 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Great! Thanks for the replies guys!