General please help me root

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by no-idea, Jun 10, 2010.

1. no-idea

no-idea Well-Known Member

May 18, 2010
    for the love of god, someone please help me root my eris. im ready to brake my phone because of all these little glich/bugs.

im on a mac, but i also have my wifes laptop which is win. xp.

i cant even get sdk on my mac...

Advertisement
  2. Shnuddy

Shnuddy Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2009
    First of all, can you root? You need to have 1.5 or the 2.1 OTA. If that is the case, you should go here: All Things Root (Eris) - Android Forums
    where all can be answered, including whether or not it is the right thing for you to do.

3. doogald

doogald  
    Guide

Jan 7, 2010
    Check out the All things root subforum, and ask in there. Having done it on a Mac myself, it is much, much easier on a Mac. (As long as it is an intel rather than PowerPC Mac.) It is easier on a Mac because there is a weird step for Windows machines to add a USB driver that seems to stumble up many people. With a Mac, it just works.

Note that when you read the instructions, it will tell you to run a bunch of commands from a command prompt. The Mac translation of that is to run the application called Terminal, and type the commands in that window. And any instructions that tell you to type a command that looks like this:

adb ...

you will type a period and a slash before the "adb" instead, like this:

./adb ...

The basic instructions are in this thread: http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/53963-guide-stock-1-5-latest-root-2-1-a.html

However, some really good information is in this thread, starting with this post, but the user erisuser1, who was walking JrzDRoid through the process: http://androidforums.com/all-things...placement-eris-root-questions.html#post827552

The SDK is here: Android SDK | Android Developers

Download it and install, as you would any other app.

no-idea likes this.
  4. doogald

doogald  
    Guide

Jan 7, 2010
    And let me recommend that, if you do this, and are able to do this, when you get to step 3 and need to pick a ROM to use, that you use Ivan's Official, which looks and feels just like the official 2.1 Eris update, without the bugs or problems?

5. no-idea

May 18, 2010
  6. no-idea

May 18, 2010
    thanks doogald, reading now.

7. no-idea

May 18, 2010
    im still stuck on the sdk... i got it downloaded for mac but i cant unzip it or download 2.1

8. no-idea

May 18, 2010
    im not having any luck on either computer... this sucks, i hate this phone because im too stupid... AHHHHHHHHH!

9. no-idea

May 18, 2010
    i started a new thread in the rooted section, please delete this thread. i couldnt find how to do it myself.