• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Please help me solve the mysteries of the Galaxy s4!

heycal1

Lurker
Nov 22, 2014
So I got a s4 yesterday with Verizon (and apparently a new username), and I'm going to try it out and see if I like. I experimented with the LG G2 before this, and while I loved much about it, it was just too glitchy. Before that I was using an iphone 4 for awhile.

So after a few hours with the phone, here are my questions so far:

1. Can one control power saving settings? On the G2, one could choose when it got activated, choose which things to put on low power,and the details of each. But I see no such settings on the s4. It just says "power saving" without detailing what exact power saving measures will be taken when you press it.

2. I don't really want sync on (or even mobile data maybe?) as a general battery saving rule, correct? But if I turn either off, I can't refresh my email. (I have it set on manual). Thoughts?

3. When I hit the little update symbol on the weather widget on the home page to get the current temperature, it suggests I turn on high accuracy mode in locations first. I I just want the current temperature without seeing this prompt every time or having to change my settings. I've never seen a request like this before on any previous phone. Can I get rid of it somehow?

4. Can I change the style of the icons? Message and email look too similar, so I might want to change them. (G2 made this very easy to swap different icons).

5. If I read a message in notifcations, can I make it so that pressing 'clear' will reset the mesage counter? It seems like I'll read it, clear it, but the indicator in the messaging app will still show there's 1 message waiting. I have to then go into the messaging app to get rid of it.

6. I have pop-up text message enabled, and text preview. Can I tap or swipe on the message itself when it appears on the lock screen and be taken directly into the messaging app to reply? That's instinctively what I want to do -- press the thing I want to respond to -- but it seems like I might have to unlock the screen first to get into messaging. I'd love to skip this step like I could on other phones.

7. in blocking mode, is there a setting that allows a repeat caller from an unknown number to bypass the block and ring if they call twice in three minutes? LG and iphone have this, and It's a feature I value in case someone is trying to reach me from an unfamilar phone.

8. I went to sleep with the screen off and with the phone plugged in and charging. I happened to wake up in the middle of the night and saw that the screen was on. Why?

9. Suddenly this morning the screen timeout is not honoring the one minute time out setting I've given it. Double checked the setting, and it's still at one minute, but the screen is staying on long past that. Why?

So those are my questions so far, and I'm sure I'll have others. Thanks for any input on these.

Last edited:
  1. Press "Power saving mode" (the label, not the checkbox). You'll see individual options for CPU, screen, and haptic feedback.
  2. It's not all-or-nothing. In Settings > Accounts, press the account name text. There will usually be an option to enable/disable sync only for that account. Many accounts (e.g., Google) will have multiple options. If this isn't granular enough control for your liking, install GreenPower Premium.
  3. If you answer NO, it doesn't keep asking, does it? Regardless, IMO a better weather widget is Transparent weather clock. Individual options can be enabled/disabled, including background, icons, and location source (and it's FREE).
  4. Just about any aftermarket launcher will allow this, either individually or via themes (many of which are free). I use Apex, but Nova is equally popular. For an example of what can be done, check out the Post Your Home Screen thread.
  5. I never experienced that with Apex, which is what I ran from day-1.
  6. No first-hand experience with lockscreen widgets, since I have them disable (security violation). A search in Play store for "lockscreen widgets" should find a replacement that will do what you want - DashClock is popular, so maybe start there.
  7. That's not a standard feature on S4, but I'm sure there are apps that will allow it. If a Play store app doesn't turn up anything (or turns up too much), try asking in the S4 sub-forum for your carrier or variant.
  8. When it's fully charged, the screen comes on. There's a setting in Developer options for "Stay awake," which keeps the screen on at reduced brilliance whenever the phone is on charger. It can be overridden by pressing the power button. I no longer own an S4, but maybe it still causes the screen to come on at full charge if it's set. If you have it enabled, try turning it off.
  9. there are two settings. The one you are looking at is probably under Settings > My device > Display. There is another one called "Secured lock time" under Settings > My device > Lock screen.
HTH!

Upvote 0
Thanks for replying. My responses to your remarks are intepeseed below:

1. Press "Power saving mode" (the label, not the checkbox). You'll see individual options for CPU, screen, and haptic feedback.
I see this, and I guess that's the limits of my options, huh? LG had many more and specifics details of them.
  1. It's not all-or-nothing. In Settings > Accounts, press the account name text. There will usually be an option to enable/disable sync only for that account. Many accounts (e.g., Google) will have multiple options. If this isn't granular enough control for your liking, install GreenPower Premium.
Will investigate.
  1. If you answer NO, it doesn't keep asking, does it? Regardless, IMO a better weather widget is Transparent weather clock. Individual options can be enabled/disabled, including background, icons, and location source (and it's FREE).
The options when it asked are "cancel" or "go to location settings". Regardless of which I choose, it will ask me again the next time I go in there to check.
  1. Just about any aftermarket launcher will allow this, either individually or via themes (many of which are free). I use Apex, but Nova is equally popular. For an example of what can be done, check out the Post Your Home Screen thread.

2. I never experienced that with Apex, which is what I ran from day-1.
  3. No first-hand experience with lockscreen widgets, since I have them disable (security violation). A search in Play store for "lockscreen widgets" should find a replacement that will do what you want - DashClock is popular, so maybe start there.

4. That's not a standard feature on S4, but I'm sure there are apps that will allow it. If a Play store app doesn't turn up anything (or turns up too much), try asking in the S4 sub-forum for your carrier or variant.
GOOD TO KNOW. THANKS.

1. When it's fully charged, the screen comes on. There's a setting in Developer options for "Stay awake," which keeps the screen on at reduced brilliance whenever the phone is on charger. It can be overridden by pressing the power button. I no longer own an S4, but maybe it still causes the screen to come on at full charge if it's set. If you have it enabled, try turning it off.
I JUST TURNED IT OFF, SO WILL SEE WHAT HAPPENS. BUT WHY WOULD THEY POSSIBLY SET IT UP THIS WAY? MOST OF CHARGE AT NIGHT. WHO WANTS THEIR PHONE'S SCREEN TO TURN ON IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT?
  1. there are two settings. The one you are looking at is probably under Settings > My device > Display. There is another one called "Secured lock time" under Settings > My device > Lock screen.
THERE IS NO 'SECURED LOCK TIME' OPTION UNDER SETTINGS>MY DEVICE>LOCK SCREEN THAT I CAN SEE.

AND WHY WOULD YOU NEED TO DO BOTH ANYWAY? SEEMS ODD.

THIS IS A POTENTIALLY MAJOR PROBLEM IF IT HAPPENS AGAIN. I WAS PLAGUED BY THE SAME THING HAPPENING FROM TIME TO TIME ON MY LUCID LG, AND I'M NOT SURE I COULD LIVE WITH IT AGAIN. NOT FUN! (A REBOOT FIXED THE PROBLEM -- FOR NOW…)
HTH!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The 'SECURED LOCK TIME' option is definitely there and at the location I specified earlier. I checked it on my wife's S4 before posting. I agree that it's odd having two related settings in different sections, but that's Samsung for you.

Although I prefer my current Nexus 5, the S4 is a fine phone and I have no regrets having owned one. GL!

Upvote 0
The 'SECURED LOCK TIME' option is definitely there and at the location I specified earlier. I checked it on my wife's S4 before posting. I agree that it's odd having two related settings in different sections, but that's Samsung for you.

I still don't see it. Maybe it's not on the Verizon phone? When I go settings>mydevice>lock screen, my options are from top to bottom:

Screen lock
Mutiple widgets
lock screen widgets
shortcuts
edit shortcuts
unlock effect (whis grayed out)
Help text

There is nothing further and nothing says 'sucured lock time'. If you can also tell me how to take a post a screenshot, I can if that would be helpful.

Upvote 0
I just checked again, and it's there. But she's on AT&T, so maybe it's hardcoded on Verizon. To take a screenshot, press and hold Power and Home buttons at the same time (and I mean precisely at the same time) until you see the screen flash. It's a little tricky the first time or two, but easy once you get the hang of it.

Here ya go. (I have the font size on large if it looks weird.)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-22-20-03-16.png
    Screenshot_2014-11-22-20-03-16.png
    223.4 KB · Views: 69
Upvote 0
Here's another Q: is there a way to bypass the location consent screen and having to press 'agree' every time I turn location on? Very annoying.

And any way to disable any other such screens that make you agree to things each and every time? (I think there are others, but I'm forgetting them at the moment!)

Also, any way to turn off the blinking blue 'charge phone' light? A blinking light is the last thing I want to see on a phone with low power. Might as well have the phone say "your battery is low, and me telling you so over and over will only make matters worse!"

Upvote 0
Thanks, hansangb. It did occur to me later that it's possible there was some volume down or vibrate only setting I had accidentally turned on. But the fact that it was off, then on, then off again, and then on-again for good (so far) after reboot makes me think it unlikely that I kept toggling between them without knowing it.

This issue, and the screen not timing out when it was supposed to a couple of days ago, are potentially big problems. There are some other little glitches, as I guess I expect from Android, and third party apps, unfortunately, but these two are the ones that really concern me.

Upvote 0
Thanks, hansangb. It did occur to me later that it's possible there was some volume down or vibrate only setting I had accidentally turned on. But the fact that it was off, then on, then off again, and then on-again for good (so far) after reboot makes me think it unlikely that I kept toggling between them without knowing it.

This issue, and the screen not timing out when it was supposed to a couple of days ago, are potentially big problems. There are some other little glitches, as I guess I expect from Android, and third party apps, unfortunately, but these two are the ones that really concern me.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Your BEST option is to go get yourself another iPphone.
You are just trying to pick the Fly$hit out of the pepper!
You'll NEVER be satisfied.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones