please help Motorola razr ics4.0.4 unlocked

1. matkins1193

matkins1193 New Member

I have read many discussions and i just need a straight answer. I have a droid razr running ics 4.0.4 model xt912 unlocked..i guess(has superuser option) can i use any us sims in it?yes or no and wich ones is all i need ty in advance.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Thom

Thom Premium Guide Member Guide

Welcome to Android Forums. I moved your question for maximum exposure.

... Thom
  3. androidfan97

androidfan97 Member

As long as it has a SIM card slot you should be able to. As for which ones to try, thats up to you based on which carrier you want to go with.
  4. Biotic

Biotic Well-Known Member Developer

Straight Talk/Tmobile/ATT will not work unless you modify the APN xml and hack the GSM antenna with a moto tool to tell the antenna to use certain frequencys available. Straight answer, A cdma razr will not work on GSM networks.
  5. t4nkee

t4nkee Active Member

I'm wanting to do exactly that with my phone. Is there anyway to get detailed directions on putting a Razr Maxx on Straight Talk or T-mobile like you're saying? I appreciate any help that points me in the right direction. If it can work on any other prepay carrier that'd work also, I don't particularly need it on an ATT network.
  6. carracerz14

carracerz14 Well-Known Member

It's not possible, so there aren't any instructions

It will not work on any domestic gsm network.

Also, rooted and unlocked mean two different things if you have the supper user icon then you are probably rooted. You cant unlock the phone because verizon has it locked to their network, plus it is illegal now anyway.
    t4nkee likes this.
  7. t4nkee

t4nkee Active Member

Well that's a huge disappointment....darn the luck. Well thanks for the answer, by the way.

edit: What about putting it on Boost mobile, it's a CDMA network like Verizon....I don't see how that could be illegal.
  8. carracerz14

It's illegal because Congress said it is. It is now illegal to unlock your phone for use on another carrier.

Plus, it's not possible to anyway. It is locked to Verizon. Plain and simple.
  9. t4nkee

t4nkee Active Member

Since when? I don't mind bending the law, not breaking it completely, I'm just wanting a better phone with a cheaper bill.....surely there's someone one on the internet that will help me with my problem.
  10. carracerz14

It doesn't matter if it were even legal, it's NOT possible to unlock it anyway so you might as well stop looking.
  11. t4nkee

t4nkee Active Member

You're wrong. It is to possible, from my researching, an unlock code from Verizon is needed. I've read on XDA that once updated to ICS via OTA, it is unlocked by default. When I figure this out, I'll be more than happy to post directions. As far as the legality of it, if it's purchased before January 26, 2013, then it can be unlocked for another carrier, but purchased after that date then it becomes illegal. I'm dealing with a used phone from a cousin that was purchased some time last July...making it legal for carrier switching.

edit: I think this might be what I was looking for, says it works with bionic and razr, detailed pictures on page 3 of the thread.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1297714&page=2

I already have all my APN info gonna give it a shot.
  12. carracerz14

Have fun making your phone useless.

It is only unlocked for world wide gsm use, you can't use it on domestic carriers, and verizon isn't going to give you the unlock codes or frequencies to make it work on domestic carriers.
  13. jestexman

jestexman Well-Known Member

I am looking at switching over to Straight Talk as well.. did you find the info you were looking for..
  14. carracerz14

He never responded because it obviously never worked and now his phone is useless :beer:
  15. Biotic

Biotic Well-Known Member Developer

Ive found that thread to be useless and want todo this myself. Ive gotten farther in research on this subject by flashing a gsm rom to a cdma razr. Sim card is detected but doesnt register. My verizon rep at work told me the gsm capadibility is only intended for over seas activity. Not intended for our gsm networks. Even the gsm Razr doesnt detect a straight talk card.
    Only device i know that will accept a straight talk sims is the developer edition of the Razr or any sims card at that.