• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Please Help, Movies on Acer????

I have the Acer Iconia Tab A500, and I have an iMac running OS X 10.6.7 (scandelous, I know, but it is what it is).

How the heck can i put movies on the Iconia using my Mac. I have tried what feels like everything including Handbrake, didn't work. Literally nothing happened. I also tried Wondershare DVD ripper, this one came the closest. I actually got the movie on the tab, but its playing at a breakneck speed. I can't seem to slow it down.

I am originally an iPhone user (still technically am). And I have to admit I am NOT that technically savy. I have read all kinds of posts that mean nothing to me in helping me solve this problem. I wanted to try an Android. My boyfriend has a droid phone and I like it better then the iPhone. But the iPhone seems so much easier for me to use.

Should I give up, get an iPad, and get a droid phone? Or can someone out there help me figure out this damn tablet? :D

I should also say that BF is pretty tech but can't figure it out either (he has HTC evo) and blames it on the Mac. Which I am not disputing but also not yet convinced.

I have the Acer Iconia Tab A500, and I have an iMac running OS X 10.6.7 (scandelous, I know, but it is what it is).

How the heck can i put movies on the Iconia using my Mac. edited...

Should I give up, get an iPad, and get a droid phone? Or can someone out there help me figure out this damn tablet? :D

I should also say that BF is pretty tech but can't figure it out either (he has HTC evo) and blames it on the Mac. Which I am not disputing but also not yet convinced.

Hi,

I use a Acer Iconia A500 (32GB) and a Macbook Pro 13" running Snow Leopard as well. I have tried to use Android File Manager for Mac... it doesn't work. But don't give up...

These are the methods that I have used:
- DoubleTwist to sync music
- A thumb drive to transfer files via USB host to Iconia Tab A500
- A micro 32 GB SD card that comes with a USB adapter (I bought a Sandisk one) to copy Music, Movies and eBooks from my Mac
- Wifi Explorer app to connect wirelessly using any web browser to transfer files to my Iconia Tab A500.
- MoboPlayer (free download from Android Market) to play movies without conversion.
- Watch TV shows online via web browser (Adobe Flash Player 10.2 required)
- Read my eBooks using Aldiko (free install) & PDF files Adobe Reader (free install)

Guide for Newbies:
How to install Wifi Explorer on Iconia and transfer files using wifi network
to install wifi explorer in your tablet you need to download Astro File Explorer from Market (its free).

Step A: Install Astro
1. <launch> Market and search, download & install Astro File Manager

Step B: Install Wifi Explorer
2. copy wifi explorer to your thumb drive/ micro SD card
3. plug-in your thumb drive/micro SD card
4. <launch> Astro explore <external_sd> (if your are using a Micro SD Card) or <usb storage> (if you are using a thumb drive)
5. find and <click> Wifi Explorer and install the app -> then double tap to exit Astro

Step C: Using Wifi Explorer to Transfer Files
6. make sure both your laptop and tablet are connected to the same wifi network
7. <launch> the wifi explorer app on your tablet
8. launch safari/chrome internet browser on your mac (I prefer Chrome)
9. type in the wifi file explorer web URL <http://192.168.x.xxx:8000> in the address bar of internet browser -> as seen on your tablet
10. manage your files from your mac to tablet via internet browser

Example:
<create directory>[Movies]
<click> directory [Movies]
<choose file>
<upload files>

when you are done just close both the browser and the wifi file explorer app
you should be able to check your movie files in the Movies directory using file manager (e.g. Astro) and watch your movies using MoboPlayer

cheers :)

Apps you can install to try (using Astro File Manager):
TV Show Streams
Wifi Explorer
Aldiko Book Reader

Reactions: sockmonkeygirl
Upvote 0
Thank you all for your responses, I may not have asked the right question. I was able to get a movie on to the tab but using moboplayer and others it played really fast. I had used wonder share on my Mac to rip and convert a movie. Maybe my problem is in the converting? So what are you doing to the movie before you put it on the thumbdrive? Or how are you getting it on the drive in a way that will play on the tab?

Upvote 0
Thank you all for your responses, I may not have asked the right question. I was able to get a movie on to the tab but using moboplayer and others it played really fast. I had used wonder share on my Mac to rip and convert a movie. Maybe my problem is in the converting? So what are you doing to the movie before you put it on the thumbdrive? Or how are you getting it on the drive in a way that will play on the tab?

Hi,

I use Handbrake-0.9.5-Mac OSX 64bit Version

you can use any of the auto settings options.

cheers :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones