please help my battery lifeSupport

Last Updated:

1. alackman

alackman Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, I am a new andorid user and I would appreciate anyones help regarding battery life. I do fully understand that these smartphones are going to be more power hungry than other mobiles but I do feel that i am getting significantly less life than others post on here. I have usually 12 -16 hours which is considerably less than others suggesting thay can get up to 36 hours.

Of course I have been looking around this forum for any solutions and have started doing my own test. Last night went to bed on a full charge, unplugged the phone, turned off wifi, 3g, gps, sync and brightness and then decided to put it in airplane mode anyway. After just 6 hours, this morning phone has just 85% showing - this cant be right right?

I follwed the suggestion from tuatha

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tuatha [​IMG]

Also, dial *#*#4636#*#* and select battery history.

Under 'other usage' check the figure for 'running'. A normal figure should be less than 30% (give or take 5%)

If it's abnormally high, you have a program preventing your phone from sleeping.

!

and the fiugure for running is 98% so I guess this is the cullprit...what do I now do to find out what is causing phone to not sleep? appologies if I shouldnt have made this a new thread, as Im know there are lots of threads about battery life - please let me know if I should have done this dirfferently to get the support I need.

all help appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. wuthton

wuthton Well-Known Member

Your battery usage sounds normal to me, any smartphone needs to be charged every day.

Regarding those that are claiming 36 hours, do the maths:

You achieved 15% usage in 6 hours therefore you have a potential battery life of 39 hours. 36 hours can only be achieved if you hardly use your phone.

As to awake time goto Settings>About phone>Battery, your up time should be less than your awake time.

3. alackman

Hi, Thaks for your response - the 6 hours I talked aboiut was when I was asleep and not using the phone at all?

As your suggestion..up time 45:25:51 awake time 22:37:10

any ideas?

4. Si Pie

Si Pie Well-Known Member

Check your partial wake usage.

I used to be a parrot by I'm alright now.

5. alackman

ok done- the only block coloured in is andoid system and nearlly full blue bar - so does this mean that it is the opperating system using the battery and therfore nothing to be done about it?

6. wuthton

wuthton Well-Known Member

I'll quote myself.

7. Pedro7

Pedro7 Well-Known Member

try dropping out your battery then re-booting the phone. my android system used to have such a high perecentage of battery drain, something that shouldn't happen while the phone is asleep.. dropping out the battery for me fixed the problem so it could be something to try :)

alackman likes this.
  8. alackman

Ok, I've tried this. Will be interesting to see how this goes . I will re.post about it tomorrow.

9. alackman

wow...what a difference.

I did as suggested and dropped the battery out and rebooted as well as removing task killer as suggested by other threads and the difference is imense.

I have used the phone throughout the day, internet wifi and 3g at different times, calls, facebook briefly and a few other apps. I have been toggling wifi and 3g, sync and gps off when not being used but I have been doing that for a while anyway.

Battery cgarged fully at 9am this morning and still not over 8 hours later have only lost 27%. I reckonmend that all users with a problem with abttery life check to see if the android system is using a lot of recources as previous messages and if so follow the suggestion of battery removal.

thank you again pedro7

10. alackman

although I am new to these forums, I was under the impression that responses to threads were about being supportive and helping a commuity improve their use and work with technology through each others experience.

Im not sure either of your two posts helped me in any way - Ill just take satisfaction that you have lost about 30 seconds of your life on not helping me.

11. glenmcfar

glenmcfar Guest

I've found an update to FroYo really helps the battery life.

12. alackman

I'm on tmobile so hopefully within the next month will be able to find that out. :)

13. denialnw10

denialnw10 Well-Known Member

Try dropping the brightness too, I'm on the lowest setting and I've found that the battery lasts nearly twice as long, and personally I don't think a bright screen adds more to my experience... although a longer battery life does! So its a small sacrifice.

alackman likes this.
  14. glenmcfar

glenmcfar Guest

Alot of people recommend turning off GPS but I haven't found it makes a great deal of difference. None of my regular apps make a great use of the GPS signal, and any that do turn it on and off as necessary.

Brightness DOES help but bear in mind you need it up full if you're outside or it can be difficult to read the screen.

I also removed my Task Killer a few weeks ago and, while the evidence is anecdotal, I'd say my battery lasts longer (as I'm not running the TK every 30 seconds :eek:) and my phone is more stable.

alackman likes this.
  15. Haste75

Haste75 Well-Known Member

The biggest tip, and one that other people will attest to is to be patient with your phone for the first two weeks and let the battery calibrate it's self. My battery life went from 12 hours to 20 after several charging cycles.

As long as your following all of the logical instructions ie, turn down brightness, turn off wifi when not in use ect then you will be fine.

There does seem to be some major differences in what people can achieve in battery life though, so you'll just have to find what your battery can do in a couple weeks.

TL;DR: Your battery life will get better over time! :)

alackman likes this.
  16. HTCandroid

HTCandroid Well-Known Member

I used to put my desire on charge every time i went to bed, mostly with battery left and sometimes quite a lot of battery left. For about 2 days i let the battery completely drop before recharging and my battery life went up by 6-10 hours with roughly the same usage and things such as wifi on...

i don't recall deleting any apps around this time but can't be 100% the different charge cycle made the difference but worth a try.

my battery last a lot longer with wifi off unless im using it too

alackman likes this.
  17. alackman

Thank-you to all who have made really useful suggestions to improve battery life. Of course it is accepted that batteries in smartphones take a battering this thread will hopefully offer other people with desires a way of getting more involved in the inner thinking of a really lovely Android phone. To those who have written condescending and unnecessarily smug replies in this and many other threads by people simply asking a community forum for support... never look down on someone unless you are helping them up.