1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Please help! Need SMS app w/text-to-speech via bluetooth

Last Updated:

1. sk8fan

sk8fan New Member This Topic's Starter

I've done a lot of searching for this & haven't found a good solution. Please forgive me if it's already posted, I've really tried to find it!

I have a G1, and a Motorola bluetooth headset. I am searching for an app that will speak incoming text messages out loud, both through speaker and bluetooth. Voice-to-text for replies would be a nice bonus but not mandatory.

I've tried drivesafe.ly and it does work with the native Android messaging to read texts out loud, but it's speaker-only and will not work with bluetooth headsets. Also, there's no reply via speech-to-text. It also won't recognize or work with Handcent or other messaging programs at all.

I am currently trying Handcent, and while I like a lot of the features, it doesn't seem to have any bluetooth support. Also, it doesn't seem automatically speak texts upon receipt although I've seen posts saying it will? There is a button you can click upon receiving an incoming SMS message popup, but by the time you look down & find the button to click it to "read" the text out loud it's kind of pointless. And the voice recognition for speech-to-text is really wonky, but if the rest of it worked (automatically reading messages out loud, and through bluetooth headsets).

It seems like it would be such a commonly used app. Is there a good SMS program with these features? Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

I don't have an android phone yet, but when I get the EVO, I'd like to have an app that could do this too.

3. spinkick

spinkick Member

You can use tasker to do this for you. I would love a speech to text via bluetooth app.. anyone know how?

4. DasMuse

DasMuse Well-Known Member

bump... does any app do this yet?

5. Draiko

Draiko Well-Known Member

vLingo has a feature called safe reader. That might be what you're looking for and I think it's still free.

6. StratosWRC

StratosWRC Well-Known Member

...so two years on what's the app that will do this? driving mode stops short, just says message received.
    also what app will read a web page out loud?
    i hear network works great for twitter but doesn't extend to browsing.