• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Please help! Noob ROOTING 2.3.6 Atrix

danf161

Jul 11, 2011
I've searched high and low for an answer and I'm not finding one. I'm running 2.3.6 with build 4.5.141. My main purpose to root is so I can turn my hotspot on without have to fork over extra $$ AND lose my UNLIMITED data plan I was grandfathered on. I've been reading that the exploit to enable the wifi hotspot was fixed and it can't be done. So my question is, IF I finally decide to root my phone, will I be able to utilize my wifi hotspot without having to subscribe to it?

I've never been able to find an answer to this specific question, so I'm hoping I've asked it in the right place. This is my only purpose to root my phone. If it can't be done then rooting is not for me ;)

Thanks for the help guys!

Ok. So the root worked. It's confirmed with a root checker. I'm not having any luck with the hotspot. I go to turn on the mobile hotspot and it says account is not setup and to go to the website.

Do I have to create a new apn or am I editing one? Is the apn name "AT&T"? That's really the only question I had about those settings.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones