PLEASE HELP! Questions before Rooting...THANKS!

Last Updated:

1. karate_kid

karate_kid Member This Topic's Starter

Well, I was looking at some tutorials from TheUnlockr.com and they seem pretty easy on a mytouch 3G. I have successfully installed Cupcake (1.5) on my phone.

But before I do the actual rooting, I wondered if anyone would be so nice to
    guide me with installing [ROM] KiNgxKxROM Sense Hybrid Version 2.3 "Back to Work We Go" <11/9/09> - xda-developers onto my mytouch.

I don't know what to do, and I've tried reading the steps but I'm completely lost.
    IDK if the steps are for G1 users or mytouch. I hear all these "spl"s and "radio"s and don't know what it is.

All I want is to install that ROM on my phone. the Unlockr says to download the ROM's .zip file and simply flash it, but idk if that's exactly what's required for the above ROM.

Anyone suggest other ROM that has the HERO Sense UI?

and what's a gold card? do I need that?

and I only have a 1GB MicroSD card...idk if that's relevant, thanks so much!

Advertisement
  2. InstantKarma

InstantKarma Well-Known Member

Don't worry about the SPL and radios, those are prerequisites for the G1.

If you've already downgraded to 1.5, you don't need the goldcard.

Partitioning will be easy once you've gotten your recovery image installed (and I do NOT recommend Cyanogen's, even Cyanogen doesn't use it anymore). Get Amon-Ra or Clockwork. After that it's pretty much just flashing like said before.

But I don't know if I'd want to do that rom for the first one.

karate_kid likes this.
  3. karate_kid

WOW THANK YOU!
    Ok, so what's the recovery image used for...I downloaded a file "recovery.img" i believe...idk, the UnLockr guy told me to download that and this other file. So it's easier to load a custom ROM on the mytouch than the G1?

And why not that ROM? what's wrong?

4. karate_kid

And what is a Gold Card used for? or what is it?

5. mulletcutter

mulletcutter Well-Known Member

Its for us with a v1.2 mytouch...or fender. But just follow the unlockr and try super e or a cyanogen rom...ull get the hang of it. Youtube helps also

karate_kid likes this.
  6. karate_kid

I was told by a XDA member that I need SPLs, Swap partitions, and "etc. etc. etc." I'm not sure what that means but he also suggested a class 4 SD card.

Can I be pointed out what he means by class 4? I'm sure it's probably some High capasity SD card or something, but how can I tell? I only have a stock 1GB card.

7. InstantKarma

Just seems too complicated to me, especially for someone new to rooting and flashing roms. F'rinstance, I don't know if that partition requirement is another G1-specific requirement, but I've never been required to partition to install a rom.

I promise you, you don't have to flash a different spl and radio for the MT3G, but go ahead if you want. It probably won't hurt. The reason it's required for G-1s is that they have less internal memory, so you have to flash a stripped-down SPL to create more space for the ROM. The radio is required to be compatible with the SPL.

Different classes of sdcards refer to the read/write speed. If you have the stock, it's only Class 2. Class 4 would be twice as fast as a Class 2, Class 6 would be three times. The Class (speed) requirement probably is due to whatever the rom is storing in the different partitions.

So, come to think of it, the partition probably is a requirement for that rom (regardless of what device you're installing it on), and therefore another reason not to use it (imo).

I really recommend using CM or SuperE to start with.

8. karate_kid

Oh ok, that explains a lot! Well...what I really wanted was the whole HERO SENSE UI...on my phone. I know HTC Magic got Sense UI update, I believe...but do you know any Hero ROM that works great for mytouch...or even a rom that has Sense UI? Thanks...all I really want is that Messages widget and the launcher menu.

EDIT: OMG I just saw the CyanogenMod 5.0.8 video...it looks nice! Is it hard to install on mytouch?

9. InstantKarma

Once you have your Recovery image installed, it's a piece of cake.

10. karate_kid

Ok, I'm not sure what recovery image is...but I do have a file called "recovery.img" already downloaded...well, theUnlockr guy told me to download that...i think i wanna give cyan...a try is it nice?

11. karate_kid

I want to know if Wifi is working on Cyanogen...and PLEASE, i know I'm asking for too much but any special step I have to take or something..I've been reading, but this stuff just doesn't absorb!

What are the basic steps guys? I mean if I were at the point to load a custom ROM...such as Cyanogen.

12. dbgrigg189

dbgrigg189 Well-Known Member

if you have the zip files for the rom and the gapps on the main part of your sd card then:
    1-turn off the phone
    2-hold home and power to boot into the bootloader
    3-use the wipe/factory reset function
    4-install from sd and choose the rom
    5-install from sd and choose the gapps
    6-reboot

13. dasudevil

dasudevil Well-Known Member

Wifi does work. My phone uses it and connect automatically when i get within my homes distance.

14. karate_kid

I just wanted to thank all of you for the help! I think I'm no longer an amateur with rooting. I have been rooting my friends' mytouch's and loading custom roms like crazy, to test them out of course. It's extremely easy! I was just not familiar with it, but thanks a lot!