• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Please help - S4 doesn't want to connect to Wi-Fi extender anymore

nopenope

Aug 3, 2014
Hi all

In the rental apartment that I'm at, there's 1 wi-fi router downstairs, but I'm at the third floor so the signal is poor. Thankfully, the owners put a NETGEAR Powerline AV extender upstairs. When I first got here, I was able to connect to the extender just fine. Suddenly, I woke up today and I was disconnected from the extender. I tried everything- the extender isn't showing up on my wifi list anymore. See the screenshots for comparison with an iphone:

http://i.imgur.com/ufncwg9.png

http://i.imgur.com/qxqTvnO.png

Anyone know wtf is going on? I can connect to the ground floor router, but the signal is weak and I keep getting that "Your Internet is unstable" bullshit.

Thanks

Have you checked to see if the extender is plugged in and working correctly?

Yes, I even restarted it (it's for the whole building, so I shouldn't have done it :x). The second picture in my OP is from an iPhone, and you can see that it works on the iPhone.

It's been a few hours now and my S4 still doesn't show the extender on the wi-fi list. I'm seriously considering going back to an iPhone. I've had it with these stupid glitches and the "Internet connection is unstable" BS.

Any other ideas?

Upvote 0
Also, some further points:

- The extender is broadcasting its name. It's not a hidden network.

I tried:
- Deleting ALL saved networks from my WiFi saved list.
- Using a 3rd party app that analyzes nearby wi-fi signals. It also didn't pick up the extender.
- Clearing my system cache from the secret android recovery startup menu.
- Restarting the phone

Upvote 0
Is the extender's broadcast name "Extender"? I ask because in the iPhone screenshot it shows "Extender" with a check mark next to it but in the top status line it says "Bouygues" next to the WiFi icon.

Could the names be conflicting or confusing the S4? Can you go into the extender and change its name to something else and try again?

I'm seriously considering going back to an iPhone.

That's always an option. If you were happy with the iPhone...stick with it. Many iPhone users migrate to Android only to be disappointed because it turns out things are different. I have found that Android takes more work to get working right but is also much more customizable. That's not to say your problem is something "normal" in Android...it may actually be a problem or it's a glitch or maybe you are missing something simple that we haven't caught onto yet. Plus, in my opinion, Samsung software sucks the big one but their hardware is great...which makes their phone ideal for rooting, tinkering and changing ROMs. If you want it to "just work"...go with iPhone.

Upvote 0
Possible that your S4 has been put on to a block list for that router ?

That you wouldn't know though without getting into the settings of the router.

Well I'm back from my trip now, so it doesn't matter anymore but I'm still extremely curious at this problem.

Is the extender's broadcast name "Extender"? I ask because in the iPhone screenshot it shows "Extender" with a check mark next to it but in the top status line it says "Bouygues" next to the WiFi icon.

Could the names be conflicting or confusing the S4? Can you go into the extender and change its name to something else and try again?
Bouygues was the name of the carrier there. The name of the extender was "Extender".

That's always an option. If you were happy with the iPhone...stick with it. Many iPhone users migrate to Android only to be disappointed because it turns out things are different. I have found that Android takes more work to get working right but is also much more customizable. That's not to say your problem is something "normal" in Android...it may actually be a problem or it's a glitch or maybe you are missing something simple that we haven't caught onto yet. Plus, in my opinion, Samsung software sucks the big one but their hardware is great...which makes their phone ideal for rooting, tinkering and changing ROMs. If you want it to "just work"...go with iPhone.
I don't know why I said I'd think about going back to an iPhone. I hate iOS7 and the design of it. I guess I was just frustrated at the time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones