Please Help This Idiot...

Last Updated:

1. fireman9027

fireman9027 New Member This Topic's Starter

I probably shouldn't have done it but I have rooted my Droid, and installed Liquid Frozen yogurt 1.4. I really don't believe I should have because of my lack of knowledge, but I did, so here I am. I now have so much crap on my SD card that I can't add any apps.... how do I know what I can remove and what I can't? How do I get the themes on my droid by Liquid??

A humble thanks for any help.....

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Too many questions.

First of all, your SDCard is 16 Gigabytes - if you have that full of stuff, it ain't all from just apps, I guarantee you that. You've either copied stuff on there, or else have been rooted for a while and made numerous full system backups that are eating away your space (currently, my backups run 500-600 MB in size - each).

As for what can be removed and what cannot, we can't play armchair quarterback here - I could tell you to delete the folder, let's say, com.espn.score_center - but that would be good advice only if you no longer have ESPN ScoreCenter installed. If you still have it installed, then tell you to delete it would effectively be telling you to waste your time, b/c that will either 1) break the app, or 2) be recreated the next time it performs an update of scores / you run the app.

So, in effect, you're asking us a very impossible question to answer, as we do not have direct access to your phone.

As for adding apps - umm, apps, by default, install to your phone memory, not the SDCard, unless you're running an alternate ROM and / or are rooted and have enabled the Apps2SD script of some sort to force all apps to the SDCard. If you fall into the latter category, then you really need to read this: App Install Location | Android Developers

Finally, as for themes for Liquid's FY - the exact same way you got the original ROM installed.

3. hexon

hexon Well-Known Member

I doubt your SD card being full is causing the problems. Your internal memory can only hold so much data, and after that it won't let you install more apps. They only way to fix this is to utilize Apps to SD and move some apps to your SD card, or you can delete unused apps.

4. Danielson2047

Danielson2047 Well-Known Member

5. fireman9027

fireman9027 New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks johnlgault, the SD / app install info helped a lot!! I still have a few apps on the SD, but I removed a lot of junk and have lots of room now.

I still for the life of me can't seemt o figure out how to apply the themes I've downloaded.....

6. kevin24lg

kevin24lg Member

Rename the zip file you downloaded for the theme to update.zip. Place it on the root of your sdcard. Restart the phone, while holding the X button on your keyboard, turn the phone on and when the recovery prompts up, apply update.zip from sdcard. Thats it. Oh and delete the zip file when you're done because you wont need it anymore.

7. Pfilly

Pfilly Well-Known Member

Or download ROM manager--->open--->flash clockworkmod (allow superuser permissions)--->click install from SD card--->find the theme.zip (usually in downloads folder)--->make sure "wipe data and cache" are UNchecked--->GO!

8. Oandroid

Oandroid Active Member

Got to love the condescending attitude. You get picked on a lot when you were a kid?

9. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Obviously you're new to the forums. John has helped countless people time and time again. We're starting to get a little tired of folks downloading the Easy Root app not knowing anything about what they're doing and then posting these "help I bricked my Droid" threads. If folks would do a little research before venturing into rooting their phones before hitting that "easy" button, they'd be far better off. So, really, if you want to be the dick around here, great. I'm also not sure how you can be condescending to someone who starts a thread title with "Please Help This Idiot"....

10. Oandroid

Oandroid Active Member

You can be condescending towards others and still help them out, ya know? If you guys are tired of the threads, then simply avoid them. Why waste your time venturing into these type threads? It's better to simply avoid than giving the forum a bad image.

11. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

So you're saying you'd rather we didn't help people that have problems at all?

It does get annoying. They need to add a warning in big letters "DO NOT ROOT UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING" on these easy root applications - I'm sure everyone would ignore that though.

I think if I screwed up my phone I'd rather get some help and be humbled than have everyone ignore me because I'm asking almost the same question as has been asked 50 times before.

12. VIO

VIO Well-Known Member

Ditto

plus beyond the "humbling" attitude John managed to put together 2-3 paragraphs of useful info (by the OP's own words) together for him.