• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Please help Touch won't work on Screen

lucids

Jul 3, 2010
Hi i have a DHD just under 6 months old its not locked to a network in UK and has latest gingerbread update 2.33 i think.

Earlier this evening the battery was very low and went into power saver mode. So when I got home put it on charge.

later when half charged i was updating a sat nav app. During starting the app it seemed to freeze so i had to remove the battery.

On restart i cannot use the touch screen it is like it is no longer touch sensitive. Thus although i can see the phone is ok in background ie emails come in etc I cannot swipe down the lock or even enter the PIN to unlock when a SIM is inserted.

I can't get into sync mode either to back things up.

What can i do to make the screen work again? The phone hasn't been damaged or dropped.

With regard to back up, this is what i had done about 6 weeks ago, i ran HTC sync which backed up contacts to windows contacts files. (vista ultimate x86). Also i exported contacts from phone book which made a single vcf file. I had also tried the option to back up to gmail but that never worked.

I just tried importing the single vcf file that was exported from phone contacts to SD card into Gmail and they are there but its a mess all jumbled.

I noticed there are also 2 other vcf files in D:\backups\sem\Contact on SD card. These are each nearly 3mb compared to 2 other vcfs that are 71kb and 189kb.

Odd...the names of the 2 in the back up folder are contacts201108131931.vcf and contacts201108131942.vcf while the others are pcsc_pcsc_00001.vcf and google_"myemail_00001.vcf

What are all these different vcfs?

Also if i re import the latest correct one either to a reset working phone or new one will it reproduce the contacts in the phone as before.

When i got the phone i had originally imported individual vcf files (1 for each contact) from an N95.

is this a common problem? any idea whether its likely a hard ware or software issue that could be resolved without resetting.

Upvote 0
Holding down volume minus on boot up and the phone is in safe mode...(bottom left)
Now what? I still cant do any thing as touch screen doesn't work please help?

is there someway to access settings or soft reset etc????:(:(

EDIT
ok i got it into H Boot and have options for
FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
FACTORY RESET
SIMLOCK
IMAGE CRC

Obviously factory reset will wipe phone but what are the RECOVERY & IMAGE CRC options

I would prefer not to wipe all just yet ??/

Upvote 0
I'll be honest and say I think it's a H/W fault. You can try a factory reset on the premise that it probably needs to go back to HTC which means you'll be losing the data anyway. I'll happily be proved wrong though, hopefully a factory reset will sort.

Recovery will take you into HTC's recovery image and I presume Image CRC is a tool to check the validity of any PD98IMG.zip files on your SD Card (the PD98IMG.zip file is the ROM your phone uses in zip file format, digitally signed by HTC. In other words, not relevant here).

Reactions: lucids
Upvote 0
Thanks for your response. On every phone system i've had i knew all the ins and outs of flashing and backing up etc but am so new to android i just haven't had the time yet to get into it with new phone, hence complete panic set in when this happened.

If i have to reset and recover contacts which is my issue, I've not done this before and have several vcf files created by the phone(mentioned in above post) and am not sure whether they fully restore contacts exactly in the format they exist now. I have nearly a 1000 with multiple numbers and address data so would be a nightmare to sort.

i am wondering whether there is a tool i can run on the SD card via recovery mode to access and copy contact data and back it up to SD card?

Upvote 0
Don't worry, I totally understand the panic, it's not as if it's a cheap piece of kit ;).

If you have already uploaded the files to google, you may find that after the reset, when you link the handset to the gmail account again, it will look fine and as you would expect.

If you want to find out what's in the different vcfs, have you tried importing in outlook, seeing how they look there? You can also download vcf viewers. would that be of any help?

Open VCF (vCard Viewer) - Download Hub - Softpedia

Upvote 0
Thanks I'll do that, just been on the phone to HTC in uk who were very helpful, we tried recovery mode restart and it didn't work.

In recovery if i press power and vol up i have options for factory reset, apply update from sd card reboot or wipe cache partition.

would wiping the cache partition help? or is there a recovery image i can use to reflash without wiping the data? that i can place on the sd card?
As when one updates the rom from say froyo to gingerbread the data is kept intact.

Or is it possible to image the rom to sd then access the data before i hard reset.

Upvote 0
incidentally any idea what the pear shaped symbol followed by exclamation mark means? I do remember a brief notification at the top at some point saying "tell HTC"??

found answer seems its just clock settings...not relevant

attachment.php

Attachments

• note.JPG
    note.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 102
Upvote 0
Can you get into the phone at all or have you set up a PIN preventing access?

Also, does the handset have a network connection?

No can't get into the phone at all, ( I have removed the SD card) the screen swipe is visible and even if it weren't I'd have to enter a phone lock pin.

Yes the phone has network and wifi was enabled so if i switch on wifi on the router it connects and gets my gmail.

I have tried to connect with HTC sync and My phone explorer, neither of which see the phone.

Upvote 0
You need to install the MPE app on the phone, If you've not done that, you can remotely install via the market website (that's why I needed to confirm whether or not you had connected to a network). The issue being that I can't ascertain if there's a way to start MPE app on your phone via ADB (basically from your PC).

Do you know if you have enabled USB Debugging at all? It's all moot if you've not enabled that.

Upvote 0
I had also tried the option to back up to gmail but that never worked.

If you told your phone about your gmail account, it should have backed up your contacts and calendar (and other stuff like your tasks list) automatically into Google's secret cloud HQ (okay, I'm not sure that's how *they* describe it).

If you look at your gmail page using your PC browser and click on "Contacts", do you not see all the contact info you had on your phone? Similarly, if you click on the link to look at your Google calendar, you should see all your appointments there.

Also, I'd recommend in future using the fabulous and free SMS Backup & Restore which allows scheduled backups of your SMS messages to your SD card (and can also email them so you can get them onto your PC). I also make sure that any music I purchase through Amazon, and anything else that gets onto my phone in a similar fashion, gets backed up to a location off the phone. To date, touch wood, I've never had to do a factory reset, but do try to make sure that I wouldn't lose anything if I had to.

Upvote 0
You need to install the MPE app on the phone, If you've not done that, you can remotely install via the market website (that's why I needed to confirm whether or not you had connected to a network). The issue being that I can't ascertain if there's a way to start MPE app on your phone via ADB (basically from your PC).

Do you know if you have enabled USB Debugging at all? It's all moot if you've not enabled that.

Ok will try that 2moro re the app, as for de bugging i'm sure at some point it was enabled, but what makes me wonder is that my phone explorer requires debugging and that doesn't connect to phone. I checked its log file and it seems to have some ADB commands in it.

If you told your phone about your gmail account, it should have backed up your contacts and calendar (and other stuff like your tasks list) automatically into Google's secret cloud HQ (okay, I'm not sure that's how *they* describe it).

If you look at your gmail page using your PC browser and click on "Contacts", do you not see all the contact info you had on your phone? Similarly, if you click on the link to look at your Google calendar, you should see all your appointments there.

Also, I'd recommend in future using the fabulous and free SMS Backup & Restore which allows scheduled backups of your SMS messages to your SD card (and can also email them so you can get them onto your PC). I also make sure that any music I purchase through Amazon, and anything else that gets onto my phone in a similar fashion, gets backed up to a location off the phone. To date, touch wood, I've never had to do a factory reset, but do try to make sure that I wouldn't lose anything if I had to.

My phone was regularly syncing my gmail account but strangely didn't back up the contacts or calendar to gmail. I had previously checked the settings but for some reason it never worked. I'm sure there even was an option to do it to send contacts to gmail which i tried to do which it said was successful, but there was nothing there in gmail... the only contacts are the ones from gmail themselves. Weirdly though they got sent to facebook at some point but FB re names them according to its database. So if you have a friend who has changed their no. and some other person now has that number (you don't know) then FB changes the contact name to the stranger. Checked nothing in calender. :-(

Any pics and music is on SD card so no worries there. I must say backing up the old N95 was much easier and safer than this...I had everything sorted with individual vcfs and more... :(

Thanks for the help and advice. At least i wont have lost everything, just that i know i added loads numbers and updated contacts just before. i was actually preparing to do a back up when this happened. Sods law...

Upvote 0
Ok will try that 2moro re the app, as for de bugging i'm sure at some point it was enabled, but what makes me wonder is that my phone explorer requires debugging and that doesn't connect to phone. I checked its log file and it seems to have some ADB commands in it....

It might not be connect as the MPE phone app isn't running. I'll have a play about with some stuff later, see if I can get it to run via ADB. I've also asked for a little assistance so hopefully we'll come up with something.

was actually preparing to do a back up when this happened. Sods law...

Always the same unfortunately. :eek:

Upvote 0
lucids,

El Presidente gave me a heads-up re. your issue...

If you do / did have USB Debugging enabled, you'll be able to start the MyPhoneExplorer app via adb like this:

1. Download the MyPhoneExplorer client for your phone: View attachment myphoneexplorer.apk <<< attached it here for you

2. Download / install (extract) the Android SDK: Installing the SDK | Android Developers

Note: you will need the platform-tools since that's where the adb tool is located: Tools | Android Developers

3. Copy or move the myphoneexplorer.apk you downloaded in step #1 above and place it in the Android SDK's platform-tools folder (i.e., mine is called: C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools)

4. Connect your phone to your computer via your USB cable

5. Install the app via adb (this will actually cause it to start in the background):

Code:
C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools> [COLOR="blue"]adb install myphoneexplorer.apk[/COLOR]

6. I'm not familiar with PC (server) side of this app, but you'll have to download and install the app from here:

FJ Software Development

Good luck and I hope you get this working.

Cheers!

P.S. / FYI, since I researched this before I realized that the adb install would actually start the app anyway, here's how to start the app if its already installed:

Code:
C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools> [COLOR="Blue"]adb shell[/COLOR]
# [B][COLOR="Blue"]am start -n com.fjsoft.myphoneexplorer.client/com.fjsoft.myphoneexplorer.client.MainActivity[/COLOR][/B]
Starting: Intent { cmp=com.fjsoft.myphoneexplorer.client/.MainActivity }
#

Upvote 0
thank you so much for this tis appreciated, i have spent most of today with this either at carphone warehouse or on tel to HTC tech.
So will do this 2moro morning and try.

CPW were very helpful and connected the phone to a special service box to access the phone to retrieve the data but unfortunately it didn't work, but worth a try.

Having spoken to a manager @HTC they again were very helpful and understanding and agreed not to try and wipe my phone during repair...though no guarantees :eek:

It seems they use a 3rd party company as their service centre so they might just ignore the instructions, will just have to try the above and see whether it works.

Thank you both again for all the prompt help and advice, they're picking up the phone monday afternoon so i have until then to tinker..

On a slightly different note i had a look at the new evo3d today...wow the 3d is amazing. I had to restrain my self from pulling the credit card out.....
It seems though it'll drop in price within a month by a fair amount. But ironically the DHD is now

Upvote 0
Hope you manage to get the data you need off at the weekend. When you send it off, you could attach a note yourself advising what the manager told you about not wiping?

I didn't realise the EVO 3D had been released here yet, I cannot afford one at all at the moment, but I've been interested in seeing them work for a while. I might pop into a CPW or Phones4U over the weekend and see if I can have a play.

Upvote 0
yeah the 3d pics are great, didnt get chance to see video as the battery was low on it but the stills were better than i expected. i wont waste my money on a 3d tv needing active specs as they give me a headache after 10 min watching, seems that happens to a lot of people. Apparently the LG 3d phone also has the menu system in 3d..whether thats good i dunno but i think they have a tv set out that either needs no glasses or just passive ones (polarised lenses).

The DHD does seem a lot more sturdy than both the sensation and evo though with the metal casing and has a bigger screen than both being slightly wider.

Yes already written the advice note thanks with a huge circle around the disclaimer left unsigned...

attachment.php

hope their repair better than their spelling!!

Attachments

• NO.JPG
    NO.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 120
Upvote 0
I am soooo far from the 3D thing! I often prefer photographs to films - and many of my favourite films totally ignore the opportunity for colour. I still marvel at stereo and have no desire (HD or otherwise) to buy into 5.1 so I can have explosions coming at me from all directions. I'm no techno-luddite but neither am I a technofreak/geek, but I do like having a suitcase load of useful stuff compressed to fit within my DHD.

Upvote 0
I am soooo far from the 3D thing! I often prefer photographs to films - and many of my favourite films totally ignore the opportunity for colour. I still marvel at stereo and have no desire (HD or otherwise) to buy into 5.1 so I can have explosions coming at me from all directions. I'm no techno-luddite but neither am I a technofreak/geek, but I do like having a suitcase load of useful stuff compressed to fit within my DHD.

There is some truth in that but....
Having seen the digital "coloured" remaster of "It's a wonderful life" I was blown away!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones