1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Please help with Apex Launcher issueSupport

1. Salvi

Salvi Member

I love the Apex Launcher, ever since my factory reset and subsequent install of ICS 4.0.3 I have used it (on GB I used TWLauncher, didn't even know about Apex and was going to use TW again until someone told me to try Apex and I haven't looked back since).

I have an issue, and within it, a question about functionality.

How does Apex, or other after market launchers, work? Do they just work like all other apps, meaning that they launch from the regular ICS launcher and then take over, running over top? This would explain the issue I'm about to talk about, but also means that after market launchers do not replace the original, but merely run on top if it (which seems like a waste to me, like installing LINUX then having Windows 7 runs from it).

Here is what is happening on my phone:

Every so often, perhaps once every 20 launches of an app, or once every 10 gmail launches, when I exit the app (usually Gmail, but I noticed it happenes with others apps to, albeit very rarely), instead of seeing Apex Launcher, I see the original ICS launcher.

Luckily, the APEX icon is right there, so it's just a push, and instantly APEX is back up and running, smooth and fast as ever. But somehow it bothers me, it doesn't feel right (I mean the whole reverting to ICS launcher once in a blue moon, then having to launch the APEX with an icon). It feels as if I'm just running an app (APEX) over top the ICS launcher, and it bothers me.

Maybe that is the way it has to be, the way it was designed, for whatever purpose, but if someone could clear this up for me that would be grand.

Furthermore, any ideas why my phone sometimes reverts to the ICS launcher at all? Like I said, it happens rarely, and when it does, it's no bother, it's just a push of the APEX icon and I'm back in APEX.

Is there a way to remove the ICS launcher and make APEX the actual launcher, the ONLY launcher? Is that advisable?

What do you guys make of this?

While I'm at it, is APEX the best out there? From your experience, should I give another a try? It is definitely superior to TWLauncher which I used with GB before it crashed and forced me to do a factory reset (and get ICS, which was an awesome relief, I went from agony to extacy in 12 hours (my phone froze on boot when Kies tried updating, and I freaked out, but learned the three button trick to get to BIOS and do a reset from there)).

Thank you in advance if you're able to shed some light on my issue and also on my questions. I would greatly appreciate any input you may have relating to any or all of the above!

Advertisement
    :
  2. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

Only your default launcher will be resident, so TW Launcher will not (or at least should not) be running behind Apex. If you look at your running programs, only your default launcher should be running. If after booting you start off a non-default launcher I would suspect the 2 would be in memory at the same time until you manually stop the program, or reboot. Perhaps Andoroid kills it automatically, but I couldnt say for sure.

If you are rooted, you can use Titanium Backup to uninstall, or even better, freeze TW Launcher. I have TW Launcher and TW-UX on mine, both frozen, in favour of Apex.

So in answer to your other question, I agree with you regarding Apex. It is in my opinion is an extremely good launcher. As good as, if not better than any available. I find it very smooth, slick, configurable and reliable. Go Launcher and Nova are very good too, but Apex tops the lot for me.
  3. Salvi

Salvi Member

I'm a little confused. So, as I expected, my APEX is running on top of the normal launcher that comes with ICS. But how do I check what exactly is running in the background? I'm not rooted, but when I go to task manager, there is only a tab for "active apps" which shows nothing (except when gmail or opera or whatever is open, but doesn't show background apps and processes) and when I got to "ram" is only gives the "clear ram" option. How do I access everything that is running, see it? Like I do in Win 7 process manager? And how do I access everything that is on my phone and choose to uninstall it or whether to run it on boot, is that possible? Is there maybe an app for that if ICS doesn't support it out of the box?
  4. vosg

vosg Well-Known Member

Your APX is not running on top of the stock launcher. This isn't windows. You can disable TW launcher in Applications.

Go to settings, Applications,then click the All tab. Scroll down to TWLauncher, click it and select Disable.