Please help!!!!General

Last Updated:

1. mlc331

mlc331 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I purchased my Motorola Droid in December.... EASY.... stay with me..... and have enjoyed. For the most part that is....

Her is what I need help with. When I search for Droid vs. Eris stuff on the net, everything I find is dated Nov - Dec. I need some newer info from people who have had lots of seat time with both.

The reason I'm looking for info is that I've played with an Eris a bit and seem to really like it. Looks fantastic, feels better, and seems to be more responsive to my touch. My droid has the newest version of ANDROID, but there are issue with the droid.

1. Ugly as all get-out (IMO) :(
    2. Slide-out Keyboard is useless
    3. The screen/looks of the phone are very steril
    4. There are very few vital hard buttons for use. (Also, the buttons that are included on the droid are poorly place. I'm ALWAYS turning the camera on or lowering the volume)
    5. The touch screen especially when typing causes me great angst! The keyboard is almost TOO sensitive.

Now, I'm really considering the Eris as replacements for my wife and I, but I'm concerned about the lack of 2.1.

I REALLY enjoy the NAV, and being able to use the newer applications (however that might be misinformation on apps from 1.5 - 2.0(.1).

Am I missing something? Really just want to know what you Eris guys think.

How hard is it to convert to the 2.1 (LEAK)?

Thanks for your honesty in advance.

Advertisement
  2. Bad Cornflakes

Bad Cornflakes Active Member

Eris is slower than the Droid, but I bought it because it was: a)Cheaper b)Better looking c)More ergonomic d)I wasn't that big of a phone geek---but I have turned into one e)Does everything I need it to do.

As for going to 2.1, it was easy. Very easy. But if you get one you will probably just want to root it.

3. mlc331

mlc331 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

ok... not to be a moron... but what is rooting? :eek:

I'm not a super-phone freak, but I definitely like to have things work well and be comfortable.

Long story short... i was with verizon for YEARS. Left my kids, mother and mother-in-law on verizon and the wife and I went to iphones. To be honest, the iphone is the best invention in the last decade. But actually paid to get out of the contracts after 4 months. The service COMPLETELY sucked! Went back to the Blackberry. Well, once you have the iphone, the BB just aint gonna cut it. Went to the droid and I've been reasonably happy (except for the issues i mentioned above).

One of my employees has the Eris. I really like it's feel and look.

4. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

Click on the link below to learn all about Root:

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/45242-rooting-q.html

5. odaxium

odaxium Well-Known Member

Rooting = able to change system files

I wouldn't worry about 2.1 on the Eris, it really doesn't seem like it will be long before we get the OTA update

6. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

I had the MotoDroid for two weeks and returned it for some of the same reasons you listed. One other thing I would add is that the power/sleep button is in a really awkward place and not convenient (for a button that is used a lot).