Please list WORKING options for charging accessoriesAccessories

Last Updated:

1. BBock727

BBock727 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I know theres a million threads about this, but they all seem to have links to devices that "sometimes work" or work for a "short time" and then stop working. Can anyone give me links to a car adapter/microusb wire and a AC adapter/microusb wire that works 100% for data and charging. Im looking to buy something tonight, preferably do not link me to the verizon store :), as I am looking for cheaper 3rd party solutions.

Thanks in advance, hopefully this will help a bunch of people from buying shoddy stuff! LINKS APPRECIATED! (COUPON CODES TOO!!)

Advertisement
  2. milnivlek

milnivlek Well-Known Member

3. ccoager

ccoager Well-Known Member

4. Tech Addiction

Tech Addiction Well-Known Member

5. coastal_carolina

coastal_carolina Well-Known Member

I bought this:

Retractable USB 2.0 A-B Micro 5-Pin Cable, 30 inches / 2.5 FT, Black

and this

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10826&cs_id=1082602&p_id=3523&seq=1&format=2

Its important to get a car charger and home charger that charge at 1000 milliamps or 1AMP.

Most of the cheap car chargers on Ebay, while they will work, are going to charge very slowly because they are 500 milliamps to 800 milliamps.

I like the retractable chargers for the car, but could not find any that retract up into the charger that are 1AMP so I got the next best thing.

brettlewis likes this.
  6. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

I have that monoprice car charger as well. It has been working fine for the past week or so. I noticed it does get hot though but it charges very fast.

7. BBock727

Any wall chargers from monoprice work? It seems that people are having really bad luck with them. I am getting the retractable cable with the car charger x2, but I also could use a home charger and a longer cable for the home charger (something like 3-4ft)

8. seVer

seVer Well-Known Member

so you want a quality charger on the cheap? yeah, let us know how that goes...

oh sorry... sorry.... I know you didn't want a link to verizon's website, but what about HTC? The adage "you get what you pay for" goes a long way. Why be cheap when you're talking about putting power to a $500+ phone??

9. BBock727

It also doesn't mean you cant get quality items from a 3rd party at half the cost. Branded accessories are available at high profit margins bc phones are not sold at high margins. I'm sure there is a Better charger for less without a Verizon or HTC tag on it .

10. INTREPID-NY

INTREPID-NY Well-Known Member

Any high quality (Motorola, Blackberry, etc.) micro-usb charger will work. This is by electrical design. There is no need to list "working" micro-usb chargers as they all must work by definition (assuming they are not cheap crap from China). All usb chargers are set at 5v and your computer's usb port will output at 500mA (1/2 amp) max. So using a micro-usb charger from 500mA and up will work fine. The phone will draw whatever current it needs to charge the batteries, so using a higher amp charger shouldn't be a problem since it simply won't draw all of that power. Think of it this way: Amps are pulled from the charger, not pushed to the phone. Voltages are pushed to the phone, not pulled from the charger. The OEM charger provides 5v (of course) at 1amp (1000mA). I'm also using chargers that provides 700mA and 850mA with no problems. Another person is using a 2amp Ipad charger with no problems as explained above.

Note: Using a charger with less than 1am (1000mA) will charge your phone a bit slower. However, if you just plug the phone in at night and go to sleep it will not matter as the phone will charge in a few hours anyway. If you need the FASTEST charge, find a charger that provides 1amp (this is what the HTC OEM charger provides). If you charge your phone by plugging it into your computer's usb port (500mA), then any charger 500mA up to 1amp will be faster.

I found these Blackberry chargers for only $4.50 Each on Amazon so I got 3!
    It's a micro-usb charger that provides 5v (standard) at 700mA - works great.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LRPN0S/ref=oss_product

Crashumbc likes this.
  11. BBock727

12. bob_loblaw

bob_loblaw Active Member

13. boilator

boilator Active Member

All chargers (wall, USB, car) that I had for my BB Storm work with this phone.

Lator

14. kingofme

kingofme Member

You gotta be f'ing kidding me. I just did order these exact two chargers a week ago. I have not recieved them yet. How bad are they?

15. brettlewis

brettlewis Well-Known Member

16. BBock727

Anyone else have an a/c solution

17. bob_loblaw

bob_loblaw Active Member

They take about 3.5 - 4 hrs to fully charge while powered off. I have the monoprice adapters too, not a big fan of those either.

18. kyler13

kyler13 Well-Known Member

This. Forget the rest. You won't get a better bottom line shipped price for what you want (one of the few places I know that will ship USPS at standard rates with no ridiculous handling fees). Monoprice is super-reputable and they stand behind their product quality. If there's a problem, send it back and they'll replace it. Easy as pie. No worries about where it's coming from, who is behind the internet storefront, or whether or not it'll even be up a month from now. I've been using their stuff for charging my Incredible and other usb connected devices including an ipod touch. I also have audio and hdmi I've been using for two years for my home theater set-up.

19. INTREPID-NY

INTREPID-NY Well-Known Member

20. coastal_carolina

coastal_carolina Well-Known Member

I have a followup to do on these. My first Monoprice charger was dead on arrival. The new one works, and seems to charge the phone pretty fast. Much faster than the piddly 500mAh charger it is replacing.

The retractable USB is to be desired. It gets tangled easily and you have to fiddle with it to get it to go back together perfect. If you don't have to undo all of the wire often though it will work fine.

Overall both are a much better alternative to spending $30. A retractable solution is definitely the best way to go for a car. Remember that Amps/mAh counts when you are buying a charger. Most on Ebay are 500mAh to 800mAh.

The phone needs a 1AMP/1000mAh charger to charge the fastest... this is what comes stock.

21. Randino

Randino Well-Known Member

Yep, use the factory charger that came in the box with the phone, nothing will charge it faster.

22. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

Buy a QUALITY charger for micro USB and it will work FINE...

End of discussion...

buy china E-bay and you might not get lucky...

Here's a hint: if the shipping is more than the cost of the charger it might not be a quality charger.

23. ikediggety

ikediggety Well-Known Member

That's what i thought too - until a clueless verizon csr sold me a micro usb charger that put out 5.5 volts. Half a volt doesn't seem like much, but it's a 10% overvoltage. Fortunately i noticed before plugging it in. the other charger i bought - this one from wal mart - makes my phone act crazy when plugged in.

24. BBock727

Now that the phone has been out 2 months or so, anyone have a 1A options for both car and outlet chargers? I need to pick some up ASAP!

25. bob_loblaw

bob_loblaw Active Member

I picked up a vzw car charger off ebay for $5. Actual vzw charger though, not the unbranded oem kind. Works great. Tried monoprice car charger, it works alright but gets pretty hot.

No luck on good ac adapters