Please read (Incredible doing some very strange S*%#t !! )Support

Last Updated:

1. juanito157

juanito157 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Today I discovered a very strange problem with my HTC incredible

When using Pandora it seemed to be skipping songs without me doing anything...... Or so I thought and then I figured out what was causing the problem, while having it connected via the 3.5 millimeter plug to my audio system I discovered that if I turn the male connector while using Pandora that the phone would switch songs!! I doubled and triple checked it and its for sure causing this issue "On my phone anyway" it even sometimes triggered voice call also by simply wiggling the 3.5 mil male plug (at the device end not the opposite end going into my receiver), I thought this was very strange and would like some incredible owners to check and see if my problem is unique or just an overall issue with this device..... Anyway please help

Advertisement
  2. BetterMost

BetterMost Banned

Have you tried using a different headset?

3. juanito157

No I havent, but I will and post update.

4. zemerick

zemerick Well-Known Member

When you wiggle the jack, does it feel like the male plug is wiggling inside of the port, or does it feel like the whole port is wiggling inside of the phone? I wonder if you have a loose connection inside the phone jack, and it is shorting/disconnecting.

5. juanito157

Definitely not loose in the phone its the male connector moving not the connection in the phone.

6. JCP SR

JCP SR Member

I tried on my I do not seem to have any problem seems to be a slight wiggle I mean ever so slight. I am not having any issues with it. I would take it back for a replacement.

7. trowpa

trowpa Well-Known Member

FYI - i had the same issue - phone freaked out when connected to the audio cable. Pandora skipping, voice dialer dialing, etc etc.

Turns out - the cheap _$$ radio shack cable i used was just that - CHEAP. improper shielding probably...

Anyway - i sprung a few more bucks and bought a gigaware cable - and problem solved.

Just buy a better cable. Keep your receipt and try it out in the store or in the parking lot.

Pandora in the car is sooooooooooo nice!

(repost from another thread where a 3rd person had this issue here: http://androidforums.com/htc-incredible/71258-pandora-lock-screen.html#post661585)

androy and juanito157 like this.
  8. Adamx

Adamx Well-Known Member

He's saying pandora is skipping to the next song, not just skipping during a song.

I think it's a pandora bug or feature. You can skip songs using your car controls when in bluetooth at least. It may be related.

juanito157 likes this.
  9. RedCamaroZSS

RedCamaroZSS Active Member

I had the same problem... it was the cable. It was doing it with the music player as well (so I knew it wasn't Pandora). I bought a Griffin cable at Best Buy and it works perfectly now. The icon should show headphones on top with a proper cable. (The bad improperly grounded cable confused the phone and displayed a wired headset with mic icon). New cable = you happier!

cmantelope and juanito157 like this.
  10. Tomoko

Tomoko Well-Known Member

For general information, this does not just happen with this phone, my old BB, my GF's current BB, and a couple old phones I have laying around ALL do this with cheap cables. I ran into this issue about a half year ago on my BB and did a little testing before considering my phone a failure (in many ways it was, but not in regards to cable issue)

juanito157 likes this.
  11. juanito157

Thank You all for the great replies and suggestions, I thought the cheap e-bay cable was probably the problem, so im pretty sure you guys are right on point.

Androidforums.com is the shit !!!

12. heavi5ide

heavi5ide Member

I have this same problem. As someone else said, I guess this is just a consequence of manufacturers deciding to cram more contacts into a 3.5mm jack -- what used to be a stereo jack now also has contacts for a mic input and a button input for headsets, so certain cables or headphones (I was using iPod earbuds to listen to podcasts) will cause weird behavior...

13. juanito157

switched to a pair of skullcandy headphones , problem seems to have been solved. The 3.5 millimeter jack works for a microphone , headphones and an FM antenna and it probably does have something to do with why its so buggy

14. belash

belash Active Member

I am having the same problem, with there also being a harsh audible crackle to go along with the skipping and voice call. I am so relieved to find out it's caused by my cheap Rat Shack cable. I went to monoprice.com and ordered a whole slew of cables to rectify this problem.

Thank you so much for figuring out what is wrong!

15. nate.kelmes

nate.kelmes Well-Known Member

hey all... not sure if the cable thing worked out or not but just wanted to alert you all to another thread discussing the same problem but finding out a different set of problems to possibly be the cause. Thought you may want to check it out.

http://androidforums.com/support-troubleshooting-incredible/72913-music-player-skipping-cause.html

According to myself and a few others there seems to be an issue when plugging in headphones that the INC will think it's headphones with a mic as opposed to standard headphones. This seems to cause the voice dialer to randomly activate and then cause the phone to start to tweak out.

Anyways... give it a read.

16. CheezWiz

CheezWiz Well-Known Member

I am having this problem in my truck. I put the same HU in both mine and my wife's vehicle. In mine I get the voice dialer popping up. In my wife's car, works fine. Only difference is the cable. Mine has a more expensive patch cable, hers has a cheap left-over from a computer speaker system... So expense is not the issue, this phone is just picky about cable ends..

17. k.electron

k.electron Well-Known Member

i have this problem in my car, because the port is designed to take in a headset with mic, and if the male adapter touches the mic part it treats that as you giving a voice command. the fix for me, was the make sure the male adapter is pushed in all the way.

18. androy

androy Well-Known Member

I'm having the exact same problem while my Inc. is hooked up to a pair of speakers. Pandora goes to the next track, voice dialer comes on , and the phone redials the last person I called(fortunately I have call confirm). I thought it had something to do with a grounding issue because I heard a lot of static, I guess its just the wire.

And YES, its a crappy but overpriced Radio Shack wire!! The wire is going in the garbage ASAP!

I have a Monoprice wire hooked up to my car stereo and it works perfect.

19. Asterdroid

Asterdroid Well-Known Member

I've noticed this issue too. As mentioned above, if you pay attention to the icon that appears in your notification bar, it will be a dead giveaway to whether or not you are going to have issues with the cable.

If the incredible thinks the cable is a cable with a microphone, you will have the issues mentioned above. If it recognizes the cable as a line-out only, you won't have an issue.

20. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

+1
    I had those headphone splitter things laying around and I use those on any RCA type cable I have laying around and it seems to solve the issue. the headphone jack on this phone is overly sensitive or something and if it thinks there is a mic attatched when there is none it makes it wig out. Eris did it too so I think its an HTC thing.

21. Asterdroid

Speaking of which, can anyone recommend a 3.5mm to 3.5mm aux cable for the Incredible that doesn't have this issue? I need one and don't want to make a purchase without a recommendation from one of you fine folks.

22. androy

androy Well-Known Member

I really hope HTC fixes this. I tried 3 other cables in my house and they all do the same thing.

The only one that works is in my car and it plugs directly into my stereo's left/right inputs.

Any recommendations on a proper male/male cable would be great.

23. Asterdroid

Bump for recommended cables.

24. trowpa

trowpa Well-Known Member

I first tried a few radio shack cables - none worked. I use a gigaware cable. No issues.

25. Asterdroid

Do you remember which one? Aren't those sold at radio shack?