• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PLEASE READ: Reguarding the 2.1 Update for the Motorola Droid

This is not the case, at all! It does save to the SD card, I promise you that. Follow my method in the OP!
DISREGARD THAT POST!

Hi Trident,

I actually went to the trouble of flashing my Droid back to 2.0 (not 2.0.1):

Motorola Droid 2.0 .sbf leaked - Android Central Forums

then rooting 2.0 so that I could "watch" the update process. I can confirm that the 2.0.1 upgrade was downloaded to /cache/downloadfile.zip.

The confusion stems from the difference in how an automatic update was done (system downloads to /cache/ folder) vs. how the manual update was done (user placed download in /sdcard folder).

It's always possible that 2.1 will be applied differently. One issue I see is that the /cache partition is only about 90mb in size and some of that gets used by apps or the system. The 2.0.1 update was only about 10mb so it would fit fine but should 2.1 be 50mb or more, it might need to be saved to the sdcard where more space is available.

This all might be for nothing today anyways if BGR is correct :-(

Jay

Upvote 0
Hi Trident,

I actually went to the trouble of flashing my Droid back to 2.0 (not 2.0.1):

Motorola Droid 2.0 .sbf leaked - Android Central Forums

then rooting 2.0 so that I could "watch" the update process. I can confirm that the 2.0.1 upgrade was downloaded to /sdcard/downloadfile.zip.

The confusion stems from the difference in how an automatic update was done (system downloads to /cache/ folder) vs. how the manual update was done (user placed download in /sdcard folder).

It's always possible that 2.1 will be applied differently. One issue I see is that the /cache partition is only about 90mb in size and some of that gets used by apps or the system. The 2.0.1 update was only about 10mb so it would fit fine but should 2.1 be 50mb or more, it might need to be saved to the sdcard where more space is available.

This all might be for nothing today anyways if BGR is correct :-(

Jay

I'm very sorry for this. I had no way of knowing they were going to pull the update. This is getting off topic please continue further conversations here: http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/54342-update-bgr-says-motorola-droid-2-1-update-delayed.html

Upvote 0
I recieved the update about 20 minutes ago. It should still be coming. I will not upload the files though since it is ILLEGAL! and not right. I have uploaded a screenshot of the folder though so that you all dont think hes just lying! Im really not! I swear. It hasn't.

Heres the image:
2.1 pack.PNG

Just wait, as i am sure it will come!

Upvote 0
I recieved the update about 20 minutes ago. It should still be coming. I will not upload the files though since it is ILLEGAL! and not right. I have uploaded a screenshot of the folder though so that you all dont think hes just lying! Im really not! I swear. It hasn't.

Heres the image:
View attachment 2386

so u just want attention? smh -- ignored

Upvote 0

Heres the image:
View attachment 2386

I call BS! Open the update.zip file and take another screen shot. Then I'll believe you.

Upvote 0

Heres the image:
View attachment 2386

Neverhavemoney .... Money might not be able to buy you friends, but sending the update file to Trident so we could all share it would have definitely scored you some mad appreciation from all of the followers on this board. Especially since YOU would have been THE FIRST to receive it. Thanks for showing how great of a person you really are.

Upvote 0

Heres the image:
View attachment 2386

Why would you post a pic of folder and not host the file somewhere? I call BS. Prove me wrong and get a thanks. :)

Upvote 0

Heres the image:
View attachment 2386

I have an update.zip folder on my SD Card as well! Too bad it's the 2.0.1 OTA. Pics or it didn't happen.

Upvote 0
Neverhavemoney .... Money might not be able to buy you friends, but sending the update file to Trident so we could all share it would have definitely scored you some mad appreciation from all of the followers on this board. Especially since YOU would have been THE FIRST to receive it. Thanks for showing how great of a person you really are.
I'm working with him to get the file...

Upvote 0

Heres the image:
View attachment 2386

indian_face_m0r81rti.jpg

Upvote 0
I have a quick question this goes withe the 1000 if they go by who got the droids activated. I got my droid day one 5 46am central time zone don't ask me how but the vzw dude was letting me earlier cuz I had work. So I remember wen 2.0.1 was released it popped up right at 12.01 my time. Unforunately my toucscreen starting doin it own thing like it was a ghost writer and spazzing out I had no control over it this happened mon nite and I had to get it replaced on Tuesday I was real pissed but I had the bubbly keyboard and the golden plated volume side button I didn't get charged but that was my baby so rare. So neways my question is since I got a replacemnt and they had to activate again, am I not gonna be in the first 1000? cuz by how the 2.0.1 was handle they r going by which ones got the fones first.

Damn all that writing on this flat keyboard still gettin used to it. Sorry for no grammer and no puncation....

I think I already know my answer I am just in denial

Upvote 0
I have a quick question this goes withe the 1000 if they go by who got the droids activated. I got my droid day one 5 46am central time zone don't ask me how but the vzw dude was letting me earlier cuz I had work. So I remember wen 2.0.1 was released it popped up right at 12.01 my time. Unforunately my toucscreen starting doin it own thing like it was a ghost writer and spazzing out I had no control over it this happened mon nite and I had to get it replaced on Tuesday I was real pissed but I had the bubbly keyboard and the golden plated volume side button I didn't get charged but that was my baby so rare. So neways my question is since I got a replacemnt and they had to activate again, am I not gonna be in the first 1000? cuz by how the 2.0.1 was handle they r going by which ones got the fones first.

Damn all that writing on this flat keyboard still gettin used to it. Sorry for no grammer and no puncation....

I think I already know my answer I am just in denial

Well, since there will be no "first 1000" now, I don't think you have much to be worried about. But, to answer your question as if the OTA hadn't been cancelled for today, the first 1000 people were supposed to be randomly chosen.

Upvote 0
Well, since there will be no "first 1000" now, I don't think you have much to be worried about. But, to answer your question as if the OTA hadn't been cancelled for today, the first 1000 people were supposed to be randomly chosen.

I kno I'm going hypothetical thought why did the last update (2.0.1) I got instantly on the day they announced it would roll out

Upvote 0
my sentaments exactly i dont want an update that will require us to wait for the fix. i want a nicew flwless update. wut ever they have planed im sure its for the best. this just shows how dedicated they are to there users. i mean if they ddnt care they wouldnt have dedicated the last three months of there lives to deving this update. and whoever says anything bad o mean sure i know were your comin from but rlly? do you want a flawed update? i think not sir...

Upvote 0
wishful thinking that they will implement more screens (the biggest, and basically only factor im waiting for) .. sad to see such a well established company backing off consistently. i can understand if there was a bug or something wrong, but i wish they would do more testing before announcing to the million+ droid owners that they will be running 2.1 this weekend. when something is made official, it should be official, if i was to be in the business industry and made an official announcement to the public forum that your going to be pleasantly surprised with what we've done and you can anticipate it now because it is surely coming, then backing off is poor business practice. loyalty is everything, but so is being upfront with the community that is being loyal.. it goes both ways.

i dont take my droid as seriously as others, but to those that do love their droid as much as me, this is like saying christmas will be delayed to another time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones