Please read this if you are having reception issue...VZ internal update solves itSupport

Last Updated:

1. rcyphermd

rcyphermd Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have had the Incredible since its release. Love the phone. We have an eris and droid in our family also. I was getting poorer reception, with callers having trouble hearing me at times. There was no problem with the eris or droid. I ordered the VZ range extender. It helped.....but I did not like the slight "delay" in transmission (like a satellite delay).

So I called VZ to return it. The rep was very helpful and pulled up each of our phones stats. He said my phone was listed in "red", but the others were in black. He said I needed to do a *228 option 1 to update my phone. He said that should improve my signal.

I did that. My signal has improved 1 bar almost everywhere. The rep called me a few hours later to check on the update. He said my line was now "black and not red." I asked him why all "red" lines are not advised to update, and he said they only do that when customers call with reception problems.

Not sure what all this means.....but my Incredible definitely works better now. I hope this helps others.

Advertisement
    batjeeper, Wickiup and Ryd1ZZ like this.
  2. metalmenance

metalmenance Well-Known Member

option 1 is activate phone option 2 updates to towers near you n roaming

3. seVer

seVer Well-Known Member

option 1 programs the phone AND updates the PRL. it doesnt really matter which one you choose if updating your PRL is your end goal. Some reps choose to tell people 1 because it's less explaining.

4. nightfishing

nightfishing Well-Known Member

there was a PRL update a couple weeks ago to 51866 addressing some issues.

I always suggest running the roaming update ever 30 days or so jic.

GrandMasterB likes this.
  5. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

*22899 does everything without having to deal with the prompts.

tracerprix and batjeeper like this.
  6. batjeeper

batjeeper Well-Known Member

This worked nicely, thank you. My signal went from 96 to 86 after the update.

7. rcyphermd

rcyphermd Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yes I understand the difference between option 1 and 2. But I do not understand what the rep meant by my "red" or "black" listing on the company software. Any ideas?