Please recommend a launcherGeneral

1. tranceFusion

tranceFusion Well-Known Member

Can someone recommend a launcher?

I like the simple clean stock launcher, but there's a couple of features I would like:

1. The ability to see Unread count on Gmail, Email and Messaging apps (or ability to add 1x1 widget to the dock so I can use SMS Unread Count widget)
    2. Get rid of the search bar at the top
    3. Add more icons to the dock

I'm not so much concerned in having a ton of configuration a I am having the RIGHT configuration options and for it to be very lightweight and seamless.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Banished Angel

Banished Angel Well-Known Member

I'm quite happy with Nova Launcher. It does everything you need it to.
  3. Monygg85

Monygg85 Well-Known Member

Well I suppose I can chime in and say ADW Launcher EX. I've been with that launcher for quite awhile now. Tried others but nothing was as customizable and smooth at the same time as this for me. Has lots of options, worth a shot I think.
  4. blahblahyoutoo

blahblahyoutoo Well-Known Member

wait, nova launcher can do 1 on his list of requirements?
  5. tranceFusion

Is Launcher Pro not cool anymore I guess?
  6. OhSeven

OhSeven Well-Known Member Contributor

The paid version.

Launcher Pro hasn't been updated in almost 2 years!
  7. Krunk83

Krunk83 Well-Known Member

Apex is the best for me.
  8. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

I think Nova Launcher is definitely the best and does everything you're looking for.
  9. chong67

chong67 Well-Known Member

I try Nova Launcher and I cant get rid of the Top Google thing.
  10. GJTRUEFAITH

GJTRUEFAITH Active Member

I have Go Launcher & Love it.
    It's free updates continually has lots of free themes they along have free keyboards, SMS lockers.
  11. chrlswltrs

Nova Settings -> Desktop -> Persistent Search bar -> select "never"
  12. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

I love apex. I have both it and Nova pro. I use apex over Nova because you can't set a gesture in Nova to open android settings. And I don't like the page animations as much as apex.
  13. chrlswltrs

Set a gesture to open settings in Nova:
    Nova Settings -> Gestures and Buttons -> Select the gesture you want to use -> Select "SHORTCUTS" at the top -> Settings shortcut
    MacFett likes this.
  14. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

Nova Prime with halo locker & halo notifier.
  15. Yes. It's a free add-on to the paid version.

I don't know about removing the search bar. But I have Nova on my phone and added those notification options to the badges. Then removed it, because it was iCorn.
  16. chrlswltrs

Removed search bar
  17. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

I had tried this but did not go into settings shortcut. I actually found settings itself in apps. Going to tet Nova again for a while.

[Update] ugh yeah it goes right into settings. I like the apex menu that I can set with android settings and apex settings as options.
  18. desarenezitic

desarenezitic Well-Known Member

I'm using Apex on ParanoidAndroid primarily to get rid of the persistent search bar (does anyone actually use that?) and so I can get a larger grid size on my Expanded desktop FULL 4.7" display ;)
  19. charliecc

charliecc Well-Known Member

Gotta give a shout out to Nova Launcher. For me, it's very much like the stock launcher with all of the benefits you're after. I've found it extremely reliable and fast with no noticeable effect on the battery life.

As has been said, the paid version has unread counts.
  20. tranceFusion

Is there any downside to using Nova Launcher? Battery life?
  21. john30308

john30308 Well-Known Member

No impact on battery life.
  22. chrlswltrs

I'm doing the same thing with Nova. 5x7 grid :D
  23. desarenezitic

desarenezitic Well-Known Member

It just has to be done with all that space, not sure if I chose 5x7, will have to check now!
  24. charliecc

charliecc Well-Known Member

No downside, other than it'll suck your time fiddling with the plethora of settings.

Just download it and give it a try, it's free. If you don't like it, ditch it.

The other thing I like is the scroll in the app drawer rather than the pagination in the stock launcher. Makes getting to apps and widgets much quicker.

I have 5x6 with 125% icon size, in fact I uploaded a screen to another thread, http://androidforums.com/attachment...ens-thread-screenshot_2013-01-28-11-33-38.png.
  25. tranceFusion

The old wisdom was to remove all widgets and icons from stock launcher before installing custom launcher, because the old stuff would still be running in the background. Is that still true?