Please use the search function before asking!General

Last Updated:

1. powerkiter

powerkiter Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

OK so every day a new group of folk get the X10 and then have questions to ask.

But please before you do, either read back through the pages of thread titles or search for what the problem is using the search function in the X10 section as the vast majority of questions have already been answered in previous posts.

This is a slight rant but for the last month there has been times that the same question has been asked on more than one thread and have even seen 3 of the same threads together on here. Now that is just lazy :eek:

So please search first or maybe even give google a try after all it is Android/Google :D

Rant over, for now till I get annoyed about SE lies even more so as my mate just installed 2.2 on his Desire and keeps taking the p!ss :mad:

OK rant over :p

Advertisement
  2. rosered

rosered VIP Member VIP Member

Plus 1 on the search function or just scanning through the first couple of pages at least, altho I am not the biggest lover of the search function on here but am a huge fan of Google.

Lol on the mickey taking, but the Desire is still butt ugly.

3. powerkiter

The thing is rose... When you start a new thread, as you type the title it will throw up threads that have similar wording and almost every time I have gone to ask a question about the phone the answer is there!

So really there should be no reason for it, plus the way mods/others move posts from the non phone specific sections :p

If the thread asks about an Android question like how do I do X, Y or Z on ??phone it gets moved... Why? it was a generic android question in the generic android section...

God I must be bored, no winds of late so cant go and do a Marry Poppins (fly a kite) :(

4. CuBz

CuBz Well-Known Member

Well I always search before I post something, but most of the time get told that it has already been posted, so I don't really think the search funtion is very accurate with most things

I try my best tho

5. powerkiter

Not aimed at you cubz as I saw your thread after I posted this one.

I have not been on for a week and because I gave up answering the same questions over and over I only started popping back in due to the 2.1 update that "was" due last month lol.

Since I joined in June it has basicly been the same questions time and time again and a look through previous posts would find almost all answers to questions.

The last question I really answered on here was a few weeks ago and regarded how to change the number of home screens and then the same question got asked 1-2 days later (lazy) and rosered answered it so that saved me from doing a copy and paste :)

6. CuBz

CuBz Well-Known Member

OK No problem :)

I rarely ask questions, I just come on here to try and help others. I seemed to have learned everything in the first week of getting my Xperia, even tho it is my first android phone, but I've always been a quick learner :D

7. powerkiter

Same as, go through the options or long press somewhere and everything can be sorted lol :D

8. MrWomble

MrWomble Well-Known Member

Should stay away from jobs in customer service then - as often, sorry already answered that - is considered rude lmao

9. carmendiva

carmendiva Well-Known Member

I have to kind of side with Mr Womble

and i agree with rosered

sometimes, this search fxn on AF
    is god awful

I don't think it is such a big deal to ask the same question
    especially if they are new Aff users

but i can see annoyance when you see 3 or 4 topics on
    when 2.1 is coming and they are all on the same page

10. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

I just want to clarify that it's OK for members to ask questions, even if they have been asked before. It'd be great if people do a quick search to find what they are looking for, but as some of you have noticed, the search function on AF has good days and bad :)

It's not against AF rules to ask the same question BUT it is if you're mean in your post and tell them to 'search for the answer, it's been asked countless of times already'. So telling people off and search will get you an infraction. If you can post that, you can post a quick link to the thread that has the answer :) Not hard to direct the member, especially if they are new to the proper threads. Remember we are here to help each other out :)

From the AF Rules/Guidelines
    _____________________________________________________...
    Can you show me some examples (you can PM me them). Sometimes the staffs can and do make mistakes, we're all human :) If you see a thread that shouldn't be in the forum it's in, please use the report button and alert us and we'll look into it :)

Also, if you see duplicate threads, just report them and have a link to the thread you think it should be merged to and a MOD will look into it :)

I hope I cleared some things up.

Cheers,
    -Roze-

allbutlost likes this.