• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Plex (Netflix, Hulu, Etc. NO SUBSCRIPTION!)

RMM

Oct 13, 2010
I looked real quick and I didn't see any threads on this awesome app. I have been using it for about a month now and I absolutely love it.

Check out their website at:
Plex - A Complete Media Solution

You can also search for "Plex" on the Android Market.

Like many of you, I have been disappointed with not having Netflix or Hulu on our phones. I began to search for a work around and I found PlayOn... I did the trial and while it worked OK. The quality/interface wasn't that great and the $40 per year subscription turned me off. I searched for alternatives and I stumbled upon Plex. I decided to give it a try and it has been well worth my time and money.

I now have Netflix, Hulu, ESPN 3, South Park, etc. streaming on my phone over both WiFi and 3G. I also have my huge selection of TV Shows, Movies, etc. that are on my home computer at my fingertips anywhere I go.

You can select your own quality settings on the phone based on your connection speed. Also, it remembers what shows you've watched, where you left off etc.

The only downside right now to Plex is that the media server for Windows does NOT currently support Netflix or Hulu, but it does support and work well with your own videos/music that are on the computer. If you have a Mac all is well.

You also have to have a decent internet connection at home, and know how to set up port forwarding if you want remote (3G) access.

This is far from a complete review but I just wanted to get the word out there. These guys are hard working developers and have fixed all of the bugs that I have reported so far.

Give it a try! If you really don't like it the devs. will refund you after the 15 minute Android Market refund period.

So I have to setup a plex media server on my PC or mac and then stream it to my phone from there? The app also costs $4.99, if I am seeing the right one, which isn't bad, but certainly not free. I'd consider it if it didn't also require my computer running 24/7

who shuts down their computer still? I mean an occasional reboot, sure, but you power down every day/night? :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones