pls enlighten meSupport

Last Updated:

1. spasm

spasm Member This Topic's Starter

Jul 31, 2010
    ok ive been reading some of the threads on here about firmware & froyo, now im normally pretty good with these things but i just cant get it lol.
    im currently using i9000xxjf3 firmware, do i need to upgrade ?? and i dont understand this froyo thing and 2.2 firmware. sorry for sounding stupid lol but wots it all about and if i need to do these things can someone make an easy to follow guide (using a macbook pro) many thanks.
    by the way i luv this phone, i bought an iphone4 and got rid of it in a week lol i hated the restrictions. this galaxy beats them all hands down

2. melll

melll Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    You can upgrade the firmware via Samsung Kies, its a program you have to download, link below. Now, that is firmware, which is related to your phone.

Official 2.2 Froyo, which is the Operating System "OS" has yet to come out for the Galaxy S. When it comes out, you will have a notification to download it Over The Air, "OTA".

If you Root your phone, which I dont know anything about only except that you have to upgrade the OS manually some different way I believe...

So, upgrade your phones firmware using Samsung Kies, if theres any upgrade available.

And, wait for the 2.2 Froyo OTA to be available sometime in September.
  3. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Rooting your phone does not affect KIES update in anyway. It' flashing a custom firmware that will make it incompatible.

Whenever you upgrade the firmware, you lose everything in the phone root directory. All the data in your internal memory will still be there, but things like sms, mini diary entries, contacts, calendar, game saves, apps, etc. will be gone like they never existed. You can use Astro File Manager to back up apps that you downloaded from the market, but to backup apps such as mini diary and sms messages, you will need to root your phone and use titanium backup.

Rooting is by no means a dangerous process. It's flashing that you need to be wary of.