Plug a controller into the tabletTips

1. Luke Jones

Luke Jones Member

Just wondering if it

Advertisement
    :
  2. sleezecheeze

sleezecheeze Well-Known Member

Well I'm no expert but I think you would need some sort of android compatible driver installed on the tablet to allow the controller to function.

Also, I believe power for PS3 controllers is drawn from the console via the USB cable? If so would the nexus 7 have enough grunt to power the controller? It would require a fair bit of energy.
  3. Luke Jones

Luke Jones Member

There are some drivers available for the nexus 7 that would allow me to map the buttons/sticks on the controller :).

The PS3 controller has a built-in battery. The nexus 7 USB doesn
  4. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

That's actually not true. If it were, you basically couldn't use any USB device unless it were self-powered.

Even my 500gb platter drive gets enough power to run off the N7. I suspect the N7 is going to provide a trickle charge to your controller.

Check out this thread:

http://androidforums.com/nexus-7/589205-adventures-usb-otg-what-you-using.html

One of the guys in there is using USB OTG for his Xbox controller. You just need a USB OTG cable.
  5. sleezecheeze

Sorry, I don't know much about PS3 controllers ha. Ask me anything about xbox controllers and I could tell you, but PS3 is an entirely different story.

If that is the case and PS3 controllers are battery powered then you would possibly encounter issues with trickle charging. Battery companies warn not to try to recharge disposable batteries in any way, and for good reason too. I guess you could probably counter that issue by using rechargeable batteries. :)
  6. perfectstranger

perfectstranger Well-Known Member

Wrong. The PS3 controller battery is a rechargeable lithium-ion or poly chemistry that can charge from the PS3 or any other USB source. Internal circuitry determines when to end the charge so there is no risk of overcharging.
  7. sleezecheeze

If you had of read the first two lines of my post you would have noticed I do not own, or intend to own a PS3 controller, hence I know nothing about them. Since I was informed they were battery powered I just brought up the point that the N7 port would trickle charge whatever is connected to the miniUSB port, meaning that IF the PS3 controller did NOT have rechargeable batteries then he could encounter issues.
  8. Luke Jones

Luke Jones Member

Thanks for your help, guys :).

In short, I just need a Micro-B USB OTG cable, which I’ve bought.

I’ll let you know if I can get a PS3 controller to work with the device, if you want.

In the meantime, stop nitpicking. It’s not becoming.
  9. JanComputerman

JanComputerman Well-Known Member

As Google recommends, plug into a powered usb hub!
  10. Luke Jones

Luke Jones Member

THAT is brilliant. Thanks :)
  11. stridermt2k

stridermt2k Well-Known Member

I just finished a great session of Dead Trigger using my Logitech Dual Action controller. In-game setup was a breeze.

I could definitely see packing this into the gear bag when I got to Boston next month for a two-week training session.

12. Luke Jones

Luke Jones Member

It
  13. Phoenix111

Phoenix111 Well-Known Member

Do you have to be rooted to use the logitech controller to control games on the Nexus 7?
  14. seVer

seVer Well-Known Member

Problem I have with my Logitech controller is that some games don't see it, but those same games will see Xbox/ps3 controllers just fine.