Plugging captivate to computerSupport

Last Updated:

1. MechArm1

MechArm1 Member This Topic's Starter

I'm having some folder organization issues that should be minor, I just need some help.

When I plug my phone into the computer and mount it, I get "F" and "G" drive showing up. When I click on "F" the folders that show up are "DCIM" "download" and "sounds" if I click on "DCIM" inside there I get "camera" and "music"

I believe that's the SD card because when I open "DCIM" then into "Camera" I see all of the pictures and video that Ive taken.

One problem I had today was I tried to add a couple of pictures directly into the "camera" folder, from my computer, I see them in there, close everything down, unplug the phone, open up gallery and those pics just refuse to show up?? . .(I'm pretty sure its not a size issue they were relatively small files)

Next is the "G" drive. I click on that and see "albumthumbs" "android" "bluetooth" "DCIM" "download" "music" "sd" (which shows up as a hidden folder) "sounds" and "where". When I click on the "DCIM" folder in this drive I get ".thumbnails" and "camera" Inside the "thumbnail" folder I see a mixture of some pictures I've taken and any pictures I've saved from text or email.

I have no idea if this is the way the phone should show up when I plug it in. the two trees of folders seem very confusing.

when you plug your captivate in that has an SD card, how should it look when you hit "my computer" If you could give me a scenario of the "folder" tree, or trees. that would be cool.

I know its a long read, but THANK YOU for any info on this subject that you can give. . .

Advertisement
  2. LMaxwell

LMaxwell Well-Known Member

Before you disconnect, are you turning off USB storage on the phone? You should see a "Preparing storage" message, then a "media scanning complete" message in the notification area. If not, you might need to restart. I don't know if there's a way to manually run the scan.

3. MechArm1

yeah I'm waiting for that before i unplug it

4. DT

DT Well-Known Member

That sounds correct. FYI, when I was on Android v2.1 (currently on v2.2) the order of my drive letters was - from my perspective - reversed. i.e., the first letter was the external MicroSD and the second letter was the internal "sdcard" storage.

At any rate, your F drive with the folders you described is your MicroSD/external card.

Also, you can set the camera to use your external storage. If you've ever done this, it will create the DCIM/thumbs folder structures. I think the first time I used my MicroSD card it may have even prompted. I have mine set to use my internal storage (even though I still have the DCIM on my external card).

Your G drive is your internal sdcard storage, and you're seeing all the typical folders.

That all sounds normal - the internal and external storage always mount up as two logical drives (drive letters) under Winders

MechArm1 likes this.
  5. Myystical1

Myystical1 Member

Judging by the directiories you have described here, I believe the F drive is the SD card that you installed into the phone, whereas the G drive is the internal 16GB "SD card". I would guess that the reason there is a DCIM folder in both is that at some point you switched from storing photos/videos on the phone storage to your removable SD card.

EDIT: DT beat me to it :D

MechArm1 likes this.
  6. MechArm1

thanks you guys . . .top notch around here . . . .

7. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Just two thoughts:

1) Always make sure you do a proper disconnect of the USB connection before unplugging the cable. Unmount on both the Captivate and PC ends first.

2) This app is handy when media isn't appearing in lists:
    ScanMedia - Android app on AppBrain