• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Plugging in the HDMI makes me lose data.

jvillejoe

Android Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2011
In the swamp! Palm Bay, FL.
Ok, so here is the problem I am having. When I plug in the HDMI cable to the phone it starts up the connection with the tv. But, once I see my phone on the tv screen the data drops. By that I mean nothing, not even 1x. The bars on the phone are just grey. So at first I thought it was the kernel so I flash from the homeless kernel.
Well, I was wrong I flashed all the other kernels for the Esteem and all with the same results. So I said I'm just going to go back to the zvb roms From zvc and try all the kernels with the zvb. Well I am still having that problem. So now I said I am going to just flash back to zvb stock rom and kernel. Well the problem is still there. So I used the lg update tool and upgraded to zvc stock rom and kernel.
Guess what?
Same thing... So my question is. Has anyone had this problem? I also would like to know if any zva users have this problem? My internet got shut off till friday and I just want to watch netflix from my phone. I have re-rooted the zvc rom and installed a tethering app but I don't want to abuse the network. I would rather stream it through my phone if I can to avoid any Metropcs attention. Tethering once in a while is nice but like I said I dont want to abuse it and screw myself over and they cut my service or what ever they do. Thanks in advance.

Edit: To also add when I unplug the HDMI cable from the phone the 1x comes back. Then I place it in airplane mode and then turn it off and 4G comes right back.

I also wanted to mention that I have great 4g inside my house. Inside I get 2-3 bars of 4g and outside 3-4 bars of 4g. So its clear connecting the HDMI to the TV is not the one and only source of the problem. I have to connect the HDMI wait till it shows up on the TV and then try and stream Netflix, YouTube, or rhapsody for the data loss to occur.

Its not the version its the settings for hdmi, have you looked into it with any cut? when I have time I will try and look into it, but i cant promise anything, I know that hdmi out on phones do kill data not just on the esteem. on my gfs gx2 it kills too, I will have to see if it does on mine this weekend, but use any cut to check hdmi settings

Posting this here cause I don't want to hijack joshs thread but this is what he said and others have said they don't have a problem with that at all.

Am I the only one? Can others test this and see what happens?

Upvote 0
OK, so another thing that is also happening after booting everything works great. Plug in the HDMI and reboot while the HDMI is still in causes a reboot/boot loop unplug the HDMI everything works fine. So it seems to me HDMI affects the streaming of data and causes boot looping and reboots. If anyone can confirm or reproduce these problem I would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.-

Upvote 0
Well, flashed ldriftas theme and things get better but after about 2 minutes the signal goes CA put... not sure if you guys are going through this but by the looks of it HDMI is causing all of the problems. This goes for all roms. Kernels and while any theme is installed. Any input would be great. This seems like an isolated problem and more and more its looking like my phone is the problem and not the software so if anyone can replicate these problems I can then determine its not the hardware and is the software to blame. Thanks guys.

Upvote 0
So, I decided to change Hdmi cables. Well on my LG 50 inch TV it made me lose data again... Hmm.. So I checked my 32 inch Dynex TV and low and behold I did not lose data! So I went and checked my 32 inch Phillips TV and I didn't lose data wtf?!?! I am starting to think my TV is the problem and that cable. So, now I will be calling my TV tech to look at the TV. Good thing I have a 3 year warranty for my TV.:D

Reactions: KitNLauren
Upvote 0
HDCP compliant issues. There is always some bs involved with streaming services. Try netflix on Linux. Try watching a bluray DVD on a desktop pc that has a bluray drive. Hurdles roadblocks and detours. Just to watch a damn movie.
haa dammm i just read through all the comments and thought i had an idea of what it could be up untill i read the part about the guys tv being the issue but ill say my thought anyway :D

first i have a question, when you say streaming netflix, do you mean through an app on your phone to watch it on your tv? probly an obvious answer but i want to make sure!

second, when you lose your data. are you still able to stream videos? does the movie keep playing?

now my thought was maybe its a safety default if your phone needs stong connection for streaming it could possibly cut off your personal use of data so the streaming signal can be strong..

another thought is maybe lg/metro has limitations?

and my last (dumber) thought is maybe there just a statusbar icon that supposed to show up but it having the issue we were having before with location icon lol so you really do have data but it just covered by a blank icon :D lol just a thought...

but hopefully you guys get this problem solved, sorry i cant be of any further assistance since i dont even have/use an hdmi cord for the device

Upvote 0
So, I decided to change Hdmi cables. Well on my LG 50 inch TV it made me lose data again... Hmm.. So I checked my 32 inch Dynex TV and low and behold I did not lose data! So I went and checked my 32 inch Phillips TV and I didn't lose data wtf?!?! I am starting to think my TV is the problem and that cable. So, now I will be calling my TV tech to look at the TV. Good thing I have a 3 year warranty for my TV.:D
Holy Moly! I found this thread as a long shot googling the issue I'm having. (Also trying to watch Netflix on my tv, just moved and cable not installed till Monday)
Since I just moved to this new house a few days ago, I thought I jusT had terrible service in here. I was looking up signal boosters, Heck I even added home phone to my cable because I couldn't even get a text message with the freaking cord attached. I moved a king size bed and giant freaking dresser all the way around the room trying to put my phone in a better place for signal! Shoot me, nothing worked. But prop the phone up with a pillow and viola! signal is gorgeous. I'm using 50" Hisense, and I'll be switching out for the old, HEAVY, 46" Insignia plasma from the living room today!
Fingers crossed this works! I had no problem connecting my very first android to that tv years ago, but that cord is long since lost, and this one from cellular outfitters might be the problem. BOOOOO
Well at least y'all helped me discover I didn't need to attach some crazy contraption to my roof to get text messaging! Lol (was gonna Google THAT next) #LoveLove

Upvote 0
I had the same issue on IPhone. Was streaming using an apple adapter. I started borrowing my Xbox hdmi and everything worked fine. I purchased a new hdmi and my phone would obviously drop service when plugged in, but my gf’s would work fine. We both have straight talk, but hers uses Verizon towers and mine ATT. I tried mine again on the Xbox’s HDMI and mine works fine again. There’s some weird interference. I don’t have a definitive solution, but try different hdmi cables and inputs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones