Plugging in USB causing Droid to Reboot over and over.Support

Last Updated:

1. opeyonline

opeyonline Member This Topic's Starter

I've had my droid since December and couldn't be happier, except for today. I really don't do anything out of the ordnary with my Droid except tether my laptop. I have several apps but I've never rooted and I use the factory OS.

But today out of the blue for no apparent reason when I plug my Droid into my USB on my laptop it starts rebooting over and over. It will go through the start up Moto sign and Droid Eye but once it gets to the home screen BAM it reboots again.

My droid is in good shape and never been damaged or in liquid. I haven't had a chance to plug it into a travel charger nor have I tried a different USB cord. I will do that as soon as I get home.

Anyone else had this issue?

Advertisement
  2. chadwick108

chadwick108 Well-Known Member

Had a similar issue althought wasn't rebooting have you tried a system restor to the last known time you know it was working?

3. opeyonline

I haven't tried that yet but I got home and tested out on the wall charger and it charges fine, but if I plug it into any computer or laptop it starts rebooting.

4. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Have you tried a battery pull?

5. opeyonline

Battery Pulled several times.. Now unplugged sitting alone its rebooting by all by itself... Can someone link me the factory reset thread I may resort to that.

6. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Well, there is the whole Settings --> Privacy --> Factory Data Reset option, but IIRC this erases all of the installed apps as well....

7. huskie2husker

huskie2husker Member

I've had the same problem a few times in the last week where it would reboot over and over. I was NOT plugged into a computer, but it was after it had been plugged into the wall for awhile.

Battery pulls did not work and after waiting for awhile it would eventually stop restarting and worked fine (sometimes after waiting a couple hours).

I have no idea if this is hardware or software related, but I uninstalled all apps that I downloaded in the last few weeks and I've still seen it once since then. I guess if I see it one more time I will try the factory reset or take it into Verizon...

8. xjestersdeadx

xjestersdeadx Well-Known Member

I take it your using stock software and not rooted? This happened on one of my phones and it was because of some app...never could figure out which one. But, if I restored with no market apps, everything was fine, but when I restored all my apps that I had downloaded...bingo...it would start into the reboot loop. I gave up and just started over, and will be more careful when installing apps to check and see if each one causes a problem. Good luck!