PocketPermissions (v2.0) - The app version of my security guide (updated)

1. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

yup, works the same way on Amazon.

In fact the Amazon version is a bit out of date so you will see an update there soon. It's just a minor feature update though. (you're not missing anything major)
  2. Arual

Arual Well-Known Member

Okiedokie, thank you VERY much for your help today!
  3. alostpacket

You're welcome :)
  4. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

Somehow missed this at the time. Brilliant idea. Purchased and 5-starred.
    alostpacket likes this.
  5. alostpacket

6. alostpacket

Just released 1.1 to the Android Market!

(it may take a few hours to show as updated)

Changes:

-New: Font size option in preferences
    -New: "Show all permissions" option in preferences
    -New: "Show tech details" about each permission, to see the official developer documentation about a permission
    -New: Color coded permission list to show importance
    -Improvement: more consisten font styles/some graphics tweaks

(previous)
    After searching by permission, click to be taken to the appilcation settings page.
    Updated "make phone calls"
    Better support for tablet-sized screens
  7. alostpacket

Oops, almost forgot: also posted the update to the Amazon app store so both version will be the same as soon as they approve the update.
  8. alostpacket

AF forum member MiscBec suggested a new feature:

At the end of a Permission description, add a list of permissions that are commonly requested with it.

This is under consideration for addition. Time permitting it will very likely be added over the next few weeks. Please feel free to suggest more!

(Thanks for the great idea MiscBec :) )
  9. alostpacket

Just wanted to post a sneak preview of what I'm working on now

PocketPermissions tablet preview:

[​IMG]
  10. Darkseas

Darkseas Well-Known Member

A tablet version! Outstanding!
    alostpacket likes this.
  11. Haleybop

Haleybop New Member

I just bought this on Amazon and gave it a five star rating. It is very helpful and helps to put my mind at ease. I'm very careful about what I download but somehow I am still getting someone else's pictures in my gallery (mostly adidas shoe ads). I'm hoping that by looking closer at some of the permissions, I'll figure out which app is accessing control of my sd card. Thanks for a great app!
    alostpacket likes this.
  12. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

Suggestion: why not colour the warning signs to show permission importance instead the shaded corner?
    alostpacket likes this.
  13. alostpacket

Dunno, I guess just a graphic style / UI thing. One of my plans is to add more information to that list -- so the look may very well change.

I'm considering rating on two factors: Importance, and potential impact. That is, certain things are important, but perhaps only have a moderate chance of causing harm, or vice versa. But I'm not sure if that creates more confusion. I also plan on adding a "sort by importance" feature :)

It's an idea I'm am toying with in my head, so we'll see -- I'll definitely keep your suggestion in mind in the process :)
  14. RobertB-DC

RobertB-DC Well-Known Member

I took the plunge and installed PocketPermissions, now that I've rooted my phone and am trying to squeeze out performance improvements. The list of apps with "start at boot" alone is worth the 99c, as was the list of users of the "read system logs" privilege (didn't know I'd installed so many -- though most are by indie devs who want to fix compatibility problems).

I would only ask for a couple of small enhancements:
    * Can you make the app movable to SD? It doesn't seem to have any functions that would preclude it.
    * When I read about a permission and hit the Back button, I'm back at the top of the list. Any chance you could return me to where I came from?

I'll post a 5-star rating ASAP. It's a shame the app doesn't have more downloads -- especially among rooters. Just because you know the permissions, doesn't mean you didn't let something slip past you when you were anxious to start angering those birds.
    alostpacket likes this.
  15. alostpacket

Thanks RobertB-DC -- these are quite the compliments, and are much appreciated :) Seriously -- it's really great to hear stuff like this.

As for your suggestions:

Technically it is movable to the SD, but the Android OS thinks it isn't because it targets Android 1.6. Android did not add the "move to SD" function natively until 2.2. However, with an outside app, or just a little ADB, you can certainly move it to the SD if you wish.

If you've rooted your device, I'm guessing you might know some adb commands.

Code:
    [COLOR=Black]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=Black][B]C:\your_folder_for_android_SDK\platform_tools>[/B] [COLOR=RoyalBlue][B]ADB Shell[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=Black]
    [/COLOR]

This will start the SDK command shell running. (you will probably see a dollar sign prompt $ next instead of the windows "greater than >"

Then enter the command:
    Code:
    [COLOR=Black]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Blue][B][COLOR=Black]$[/COLOR] pm setInstallLocation 2[/B][/COLOR]

This was from a helpful post in our Nexus One forums but should work on any android phone. You will now be able to move almost any app to the SD, (unless the dev specifically codes it to disallow).

Link: http://androidforums.com/nexus-one/225042-nexus-one-its-limited-internal-memory.html#post1932576

Yes! :) This will probably come after the tablet version is finished though, so hopefully just before the holidays.

Thanks again :)
  16. RobertB-DC

RobertB-DC Well-Known Member

I didn't quite go to that low a level... I let Titanium move it for me. In fact, I never even had to learn to use ADB, thanks to Z4Root. (I journaled my noob rooting experience here.)

So, if you do set the bit in the installation package that says "movable to SD", does that prevent the app from being installed on Android 1.6? That would definitely be an issue for an app like yours, that by its nature needs to support as many Android versions as possible.
    alostpacket likes this.
  17. alostpacket

Yeah that's basically it -- I cannot set the value for allowing the move to SD, (or disallowing), and support 1.6 at the same time. I double check but I'm pretty sure it caused it to crash on launch for 1.6 devices.

If I targeted Android 2.2 and up I could specify "auto", "prefer external" or "internal only"

With the adb trick, the only apps you wont be able to move are the ones that set it as "internal only"
  18. alostpacket

You know, after further investigating this I think the move to SD thing was an issue only with Android 1.5 which I no longer support.

I'll see about adding this when the next update comes out (tablet version)
  19. Mada

Mada Well-Known Member

Guess who is the newest buyer of this app!

:D
    alostpacket likes this.
  20. alostpacket

Thanks :) Much appreciated. Working on the tablet version now hopefully soon it will be ready. Managed to fix a few major flaws preventing release yesterday so things are looking good :)
  21. alostpacket

Oops, looks like i accidentally uploaded the new version 2.0! ;)

I may have to accidentally bump this thread again in the morning -- anyways, thanks again all.

I hope I dont wake up to tons of bug reports :D
  22. alostpacket

Fixed a nasty bug with the search feature, sorry about that

new build uploaded: 2.0.1
  23. bioforce

bioforce Well-Known Member

Should we be seeing this update on Amazon soon as well, or is that out of your hands? I've noticed they seem to be quicker about updates lately for some other apps.
    alostpacket likes this.
  24. alostpacket

Yep, absolutely. It will definitely be coming to Amazon soon. :)

I wanted to give it a few days on the Android Market first to be sure I caught all the little/hard to find bugs. Since the publish process is faster it's easier to fix whatever minor bugs are left first (I already fixed one within hours of release) then go through the more lengthy Amazon process.

But with a little luck it will be submitted to Amazon by the end of the week. At present I only know of 1-2 very minor bugs. But I can't promise anything of course, I'd rather make sure it's the best it can be :)
  25. alostpacket

Updated to 2.0.3

Mostly some minor bug fixes and performance enhancements :)