• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PocketPermissions (v2.0) - The app version of my security guide (updated)

I love this app and how you try to help the few people left that value thier privacy. Thanks so much for your great work.

I was wondering if it is possible to DENY individual permissions that these apps are asking for? I currently use LBE privacy guard (on a rooted phone - hope that is ok to say) which does a FANTASTIC job, but they do not update it and it doesn't work on my Thrive tablet. I assume this is a massive amout of work, but I would be willing to pau up for it and assume others would as well. No other app does this except LBE so there is room to take over the niche.

Anyway. thanks for the great app.

Reactions: alostpacket
Upvote 0
I love this app and how you try to help the few people left that value thier privacy. Thanks so much for your great work.

I was wondering if it is possible to DENY individual permissions that these apps are asking for? I currently use LBE privacy guard (on a rooted phone - hope that is ok to say) which does a FANTASTIC job, but they do not update it and it doesn't work on my Thrive tablet. I assume this is a massive amout of work, but I would be willing to pau up for it and assume others would as well. No other app does this except LBE so there is room to take over the niche.

Anyway. thanks for the great app.

Hi skafan00 -- thanks so much for your kind words. As for apps that blocker permissions, I can't really specifically recommend them as they will cause some apps to crash. I also have not tested any myself. However some people have found relatively few crashes, so that's up to you. But there are at least 2 other besides LBE I know of.

My recommendation (sorta):

I do know that one of the apps is developed by a guy named Stericson, and he has been a big contributor to the open source community and the root/ROM community.

Here's his app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stericson.permissions.donate

Like I said I cannot endorse any particular permission blocking app, but I do respect this particular dev. I hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Here's something interesting that I found with PocketPermissions on my T-Mobile HTC MyTouch 4G Slide (unrooted). It has a System app with "Brick" permission. You noted "Should only ever be granted to System apps, but even then I don't think I have ever seen it in use."

You said to let you know if it shows up in the wild... it sounds strange enough that I figured I'd post it here. Not just to let you know, but to show how cool the app is. :)

App details: it's called "DoubleshotAndroidZipgroups", com.zipwhip.zipgroups.doubleshot, version 1.0b13935. The app has a mind-blowing total of 115 permissions! So if there's any other rare permissions you'd like to see in action... it's probably using them.

Reactions: alostpacket
Upvote 0
Here's something interesting that I found with PocketPermissions on my T-Mobile HTC MyTouch 4G Slide (unrooted). It has a System app with "Brick" permission. You noted "Should only ever be granted to System apps, but even then I don't think I have ever seen it in use."

You said to let you know if it shows up in the wild... it sounds strange enough that I figured I'd post it here. Not just to let you know, but to show how cool the app is. :)

Yes thanks for much letting me know. I wonder why they have that.

App details: it's called "DoubleshotAndroidZipgroups", com.zipwhip.zipgroups.doubleshot, version 1.0b13935. The app has a mind-blowing total of 115 permissions! So if there's any other rare permissions you'd like to see in action... it's probably using them.

Holy moly! That's a ton of permissions -- scary! A quick Google for that app's name makes it sound like it might be spyware. Be careful :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones