• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Podcast App Recommendations?

44cuse

Nov 29, 2009
This is quick and easy...Can I get a sampling of what people are using for podcasting apps and likes/dislikes?

Here is what I want to be able to do:

1. ESPN-"type" podcasts (scheduled, generally weekly, etc)
2. Semi-"custom" podcasts (hometown newspaper podcasts, generally not scheduled)

Would preferably like something I can can schedule to download at night.

Thanks in advance,

44cuse

Mediafly!! I love love this app. I found Listen much less user friendly than Mediafly. You set up an account online and select podcasts that you are interested in hearing. It syncs to your phone as a favorite list. The support forum online is very good as well.
Can't say enough about this app!!

Upvote 0
For MediaFly (let's go with MF for the rest of this post!)

Get your account online, pick your shows.

Open MF on your Droid.
Click menu/settings. Under "on touch/click episode" select show episode information.
Go back to your channels. Select one Category. Then select one show. It will open to the information about that show. Now hit menu again. A pop up will appear. Select Auto Download (by default it has a red X...meaning don't auto download.)

Now, the show you want, will auto download when there is a new episode.

From main MF menu, you can tell the app how many episodes of any show you want to keep/have on your phone. You can tell it to only download new content IF you are connected to WiFi.

It's been flawless for me, makes me purr :)

Upvote 0
Thanks. I tried Listen and for a couple different reasons was not that excited. Primarily, because it was not pulling the right content from one of the sources. Also, the search functionality was not that great. Did you have any issues manually adding feeds?

44cuse

What I like about Listen is its simplicity...haven't had any content issues but I'm primarily pulling from pretty major sources.

Upvote 0
I am new to podcasting but would love to hear podcasts from ESPN, Tom Leykis and a few others.
I have downloaded the free BeyondPod however how I can only listen to what comes up on the screen. I cannot search add etc.. is it because it is the free one or because I have no idea how to use it lol.

Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0
For MediaFly (let's go with MF for the rest of this post!)

Get your account online, pick your shows.

Open MF on your Droid.
Click menu/settings. Under "on touch/click episode" select show episode information.
Go back to your channels. Select one Category. Then select one show. It will open to the information about that show. Now hit menu again. A pop up will appear. Select Auto Download (by default it has a red X...meaning don't auto download.)

Now, the show you want, will auto download when there is a new episode.

From main MF menu, you can tell the app how many episodes of any show you want to keep/have on your phone. You can tell it to only download new content IF you are connected to WiFi.

It's been flawless for me, makes me purr :)
Thanks for this. For some reason, I haven't been able to stream video podcasts, SD or HD, wi-fi or 3g. They would buffer very slowly but for some reason, when I use your tip here, they download wicked fast.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones