Podcast App Recommendations?

Last Updated:

1. 44cuse

44cuse Member This Topic's Starter

This is quick and easy...Can I get a sampling of what people are using for podcasting apps and likes/dislikes?

Here is what I want to be able to do:

1. ESPN-"type" podcasts (scheduled, generally weekly, etc)
    2. Semi-"custom" podcasts (hometown newspaper podcasts, generally not scheduled)

Would preferably like something I can can schedule to download at night.

Thanks in advance,

44cuse

Advertisement
  2. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Try Google Listen. Very configurable, seems to not be a resource hog, and UI is pretty good. Allows you to subscribe, download, schedule when to download (on external power or on WiFi, or both), etc.

3. Nidisa

Nidisa Well-Known Member

Mediafly!! I love love this app. I found Listen much less user friendly than Mediafly. You set up an account online and select podcasts that you are interested in hearing. It syncs to your phone as a favorite list. The support forum online is very good as well.
    Can't say enough about this app!!

4. Redflea

Hmm..didn't like the mediafly UI...too much going on. But to each his own. :)

5. caneshockey1433

caneshockey1433 Member

STITCHER!!! I had this app on the Storm and loved it....finally its here for Android!!

6. 44cuse

Thanks. I tried Listen and for a couple different reasons was not that excited. Primarily, because it was not pulling the right content from one of the sources. Also, the search functionality was not that great. Did you have any issues manually adding feeds?

44cuse

7. 44cuse

I downloaded Mediafly and so far it is OK...but the content on my 1st download will not play. Also, how do I tell if the "Auto Download" functionality is working/scheduled? That seems to be a limitation (if you cannot tell if that functionality is working).

44cuse

8. craighwk

craighwk Well-Known Member

I was using Doggcatcher, but after seeing this thread and checking out Mediafly, I think I may have to switch. :)

9. bcromwell

bcromwell Member

Beyondpod is my favorite, Used to for years on my WM6 phone and the android version is even better.

Listen would never auto download that was my main complaint with it.

10. Nidisa

Nidisa Well-Known Member

For MediaFly (let's go with MF for the rest of this post!)

Get your account online, pick your shows.

Open MF on your Droid.
    Click menu/settings. Under "on touch/click episode" select show episode information.
    Go back to your channels. Select one Category. Then select one show. It will open to the information about that show. Now hit menu again. A pop up will appear. Select Auto Download (by default it has a red X...meaning don't auto download.)

Now, the show you want, will auto download when there is a new episode.

From main MF menu, you can tell the app how many episodes of any show you want to keep/have on your phone. You can tell it to only download new content IF you are connected to WiFi.

It's been flawless for me, makes me purr :)

jhemmi and Loco Leeep like this.
  11. Redflea

Odd...works fine for me, subscriptions are auto-downloaded as expected.

Answering previous question - I haven't done any manual adds...

12. Redflea

What I like about Listen is its simplicity...haven't had any content issues but I'm primarily pulling from pretty major sources.

13. bthoward

bthoward Well-Known Member

I'll add another voice to Beyondpod... I'll admit I didn't try a whole lot of other apps... I just tried Beyondpod and it did all I wanted so then I just quit looking and purchased it..

14. 44cuse

Nidisa....thanks for the tutorial. I suppose I eventually would (may?) have found that, but thanks again for the clarification. I just went in and made those changes so we'll see how it works. Do you know how to add a manual feed?

44cuse

15. 44cuse

Thanks RedFlea...much appreciated.

44cuse

16. devarshib

devarshib New Member

Listen is still buggy for me at pulling new episodes. The auto download wasn't working for me either. I'm using acast right now. It's free, isn't the prettiest, and works perfectly. I also use it for audiobooks for it's bookmarking ability. Mypod was functional but ugly too.

17. John566

John566 Active Member

BeyondPod is my favorite by far and I've tried 4 different podcast apps. The developer is very responsive and has made quite a few improvements in the last month.

18. techsamaritan

techsamaritan New Member

I looked in the App Catalog and I cannot find it! I love stitcher too! Is it listed under another name?

19. troybal

troybal Active Member

I am new to podcasting but would love to hear podcasts from ESPN, Tom Leykis and a few others.
    I have downloaded the free BeyondPod however how I can only listen to what comes up on the screen. I cannot search add etc.. is it because it is the free one or because I have no idea how to use it lol.

Thanks for the help!

20. Loco Leeep

Loco Leeep Well-Known Member

Thanks for this. For some reason, I haven't been able to stream video podcasts, SD or HD, wi-fi or 3g. They would buffer very slowly but for some reason, when I use your tip here, they download wicked fast.

21. Loco Leeep

Loco Leeep Well-Known Member

BTW, I use mediafly because I have a Chumby and Chumby has (not very robust) Mediafly audio podcast built in. Now I can listen to my podcasts anywhere, anytime.