• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Podcast player with pause?

Don't all the podcast apps have pause? I thought that was fairly standard.

Yes, I agree.
(I am the original poster.)
I said: "without searching for the right pixel to tap"
I should have said: I would like the pause button to be a physical hardware button, so it could be found in the dark or without searching for it.

I keep going back to my Sansa Fuze to listen to podcasts because of this. It is just to hard to pull my droid out, un-sleep it, then find the right area to tap, without accidentally jumping to the next podcast. To many steps. On my Fuze, I just reach up and tap the top of the circle wheel.

$7 for doggcatcher is STEEP for an Android app. I hate to pay that, then find out it is not suited for me.

The pause on Listen is to small for on-screen finding, to suit me.

I may be forced into writing a widget for a hardware pause. My Incredible has a physical button in the optical joystick, also used as the camera shutter. I am not a good programmer.

Upvote 0
As far as DoggCatcher... I agree $7 is steep, and I for one would almost never consider paying more than a couple bucks for an app, but went ahead and paid it, and it is a great app. I listen to podcasts every day at work, and DoggCatcher works the way I like it to. It is very configurable. I tried Google Listen and hated it. You do have 24 hours to evaluate the app, and can get a refund if you don't like it. Just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
If you use itunes and an ipod, all you have to do is put the item into a playlist. It can be the only item in the playlist if you want. When you stop listening, even if you go to another category to listen to songs on your ipod, or even if you shut the computer off, it picks up where you left off next time you come back.

Upvote 0
Have a look at mortplayer. It also has a widget which you can use to pause. It's free as well :D

If you use itunes and an ipod, all you have to do is put the item into a playlist. It can be the only item in the playlist if you want. When you stop listening, even if you go to another category to listen to songs on your ipod, or even if you shut the computer off, it picks up where you left off next time you come back.

All podcast players pretty much do this without the need to make a playlist, as does my sensa clip+ and the other halfs SE W810 phone. If someone wants a seperate device then I would strongly recommend the Clip series as the sound quality is far better than any phone/ipod out there.

Upvote 0
Have a look at mortplayer. It also has a widget which you can use to pause. It's free as well

I've downloaded it and the widget and will try them shortly. Thanks! :)

As for other posts about what hardware to use ... :mad: Gee, do I need to grace that with an opinion? Is this an Apple forum? Was that post an add? Do I care? NO! :eek:

Reactions: stainlessray
Upvote 0
OK, I tried it. Nice podcast player. But, with my Droid Inc. in sleep mode, the swipe to pause does not work. The screen must be active for that to work, which would drain the battery dead in an hour or so.

So, nice player, but it doesn't solve my pause problem. Thanks, I'll keep it for now.

It's not the ideal way but you do know if you unplug your earphones it pauses and resumes when you plug them in. Extra wear and tear on the jack but it might be a short term solution.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones