1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Podcasts on the Droid?

Last Updated:

1. Stangs55

Stangs55 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

If I end up switching to the Droid, I'm sure that one of the things I will miss the most will be grabbing podcasts on the fly...BUT, will I still be able to download podcasts through iTunes on my desktop and sync them to the droid?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

Have you tried Google Listen? This should work on the Droid as with any Android :)

3. dvalmont

dvalmont Active Member

Also check out CNet's app on the market. Besides Cnet casts and videos it seems to also search/play all kinds of podcasts.
    I'm new to this whole podcast concept, but this looks to be a good app from what I can tell...

4. sleepyEDB

sleepyEDB Well-Known Member

I haven't tried it, but as long as the podcast is an mp3 file, I don't see why not.

Google Listen works great for the podcasts it can find, but I think the biggest (and only) drawback to the app is that there isn't a large podcast catalog yet.

But, as is the case with many things Google is working on, I'm sure it will be great one day, so patience is key. ;)

sleepy

5. Edamame Guy

Edamame Guy Member

There hasnt been anything I wanted to find that I havent found on Google Listen, I think its got a decent selection and growing especially since there will be a lot of android phones coming to the market this year.

6. sleepyEDB

@Edamame Guy

You're right! The basis of my comment above was that I searched for 'poker' when first installing Google Listen a few weeks ago and barely returned any results, none of which were from dedicated poker shows. I just now performed the same search and there are 4 dedicated poker shows at the top of the list!

Thanks Google! :D

sleepy

7. germcevoy

germcevoy Well-Known Member

Listen is bloody fantastic. Podcasting was my main concern when switching from Symbian to Android. No more concerns

8. mtiday

mtiday New Member

The only thing that would make it perfect is if it was intergrated with listen.google.com. You could then subscribe online, arrange your que and it could sync automatically with your Droid. Someone tell Google!

9. Memitim

Memitim Member

Hugely agreed, but Google has this cloud-or-nothing mentality that drives everything Android, so I don't find that likely. Just look at the Android Market website on your computer for a perfect example of something that seems like it would be common sense to flesh out and provide complex search and filter capabilities, but gets relegated to being an advertisement for using the app on the handheld.

Love my Droid, but the insistence on keeping everything Internet-based really sucks for those of us looking to use Droid as part of our overall computing environment.

10. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

They are moving their apps to be available offline. For instance GMail has an option in the settings that allows you to access it offline. I am fully supportive of the way google is going.

11. greg72

greg72 Well-Known Member

I prefer Doggcatcher over Listen. Didn't have much luck getting listen to automatically download my podcasts. It's not free but worth the 6 bucks (I think it was).

12. picklemonkey

picklemonkey Member

You can subscribe your Android phone directly to podcasts in the iTunes store with Feed Flipper. It's a free web-based app that will convert an iTunes podcast into a usable RSS feed which can be subscribed to with the Android RSS reader of your choice (like Google Listen). No phone/PC install required.

Feed Flipper: Free iTunes Podcast to RSS Converter

13. sleepyEDB

This looks very promising...I will try it!

sleepy

14. ahammer

ahammer Active Member

im using dpod. best free podcast program I have found so far. Listen has a 6 hour delay that drove me nuts.

it only refreshes when you tell it to.. but you can setup an event in local to run a refresh.

15. mtiday

mtiday New Member

16. dondiego89

dondiego89 New Member

You can either drag and drop podcasts, or use dPod availabe for free from the Market which will do exactly what your iPhone/iPod Touch did.

Open iTunes
    Select Podcasts
    Right-click on podcast, select "Copy Podcast url"
    I created an email to myself and pasted all url's in the email
    Open email on phone
    Press and hold, select "Copy url"
    Open dPod
    Menu
    "Add podcast"
    "Enter podcast url"
    Press and hold, select "Paste"
    You can quickly switch back and forth between the email and dPod by pressing and holding the Home button

Hope that helps; not sure if anyone even checks this post anymore.

cleanermonkey likes this.
  17. bradamant

bradamant Member

I downloaded the trial of BeyondPod and ended up buying it. I like that it will download podcasts without my asking it to sync (and you can tell it to only do so on wifi, not 3G). It also has a nice widget that you can use to control playback from a home screen.

18. craighwk

craighwk Well-Known Member

I've tried a few and settled on Doggcatcher. No problems with it.

19. Laimbeersux

Laimbeersux Member

I am a recent convert from the iPhone world and have been having issues with having to carry two devices for a bit now in order to enjoy the podcasts that I love so much. I was getting a bit pissed about not being able to find a good app to enjoy them on my new Droid X, but this thread gave me a few ideas. Here's my take on the apps in this thread that I tried. Sticher while nice is a streaming one, and didn't have all the shows I wanted. Google Listen would have done the trick had it had access to all of the podcasts I like. I hesitate to pay for apps, unless it's something I think I'll get a constant use of. So far the only two Android apps I have actually paid for are the paid version of Shazam, and the podcast app that was recommended to me in this thread and serves all my podcast needs, Doggcatcher. If you are like me and love podcasts, 6 bucks for this is definitely the way to go.
    Laimbeeersux

I regularly listen to:
    Jay and Silent Bob Get Old
    The Best of the Dan Patrick Show
    and
    The Joe Rogan Experience

20. BothEyesShut

BothEyesShut New Member

I registered to add my solution.

I ended up downloading BeyondPod's free trial. I haven't bought it (yet), and I think seven dollars is awful steep for any app, but so far as I can tell, it does everything I want it to do. I will check the DoggCatcher app (or whatever it's called) also just to be a smarty consumer, but BeyondPod is delivering all the podcasts I want, so far.

Just adding in my personal experience. Would'a had to register on Droid Forums sooner or later, anyhow.

Cheers,

-Both

21. TulsaTime

TulsaTime Well-Known Member

I didn't have any luck with Listen either. I had PodTrapper before on my Blackberry & was able to switch it over to my Android without having to pay for it again. It is a paid app but has been the best and easiest one I've found. I tried BeyondPod but really much prefer PodTrapper

22. smitty0255

smitty0255 Member

+1 for podtrapper. i converted from the blackberry also.

23. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic VIP Member

I've gotta say DoggCatcher is the podcast app I settled on after trying many others. I listen to 40+ hours of podcasts weekly and out has yet to fail me. There is a search feature built in, you may also type the rss url manually or click on an rss url in the browser. The developer is great too and will address any concern you may have.

24. francomur99

francomur99 Member

Hi here is the list

Listen
    DogCatcher Podcast Player
    ACast
    Podtrapper
    Podkast (audio&video)
    MyPOD Podcast Manager + Key
    Then I find good podcast in Engadget site,
    Twit.by Mediafly

RssDemon is very good but you need lot of memory