1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Pogo dock finally available for CDMA NexusTips

1. Richman21

Richman21 Well-Known Member

I ordered one.... I'm the only idiot I guess... don't care... absolutley HATE not have a dock at work. I was prepared to buy a Phillips Android bluetooth speaker/dock but the reviews have not been all that positive.
    Amazon.com: Philips AS351/37 Fidelio Docking Speaker for Android: MP3 Players & Accessories

I want one with the ability to plug in powered speakers to them, the Samsung is the only one that I've seen that does this. So, I guess I will let everyone know when I get it and my impressions. I know Mobilecityonline.com has had them for preorder forever now, the ship date keeps getting pushed back and back, now at March 22nd. So who knows at this point when they are getting them in.
    litrekid likes this.
  2. jackburnt

jackburnt Well-Known Member

Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act?

And I may pay half that for a car dock, but no way for a regular dock. Sheesh.
  3. ExDementia

ExDementia Active Member

I seriously can't believe the aftermarket hasn't swooped in to fill this void. Manufacturing the only decent dock available to us would make them a ton.
  4. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

The dock has an audio-out port on it. That must mean it's not just a charging dock - it has a Bluetooth module in it, to pair the phone and act as an audio transmitter.

Which partly explains the high price - I mean, that's still very expensive, but it's not "$90 for a charger" as indicated above.
  5. Richman21

Where do you see that it has Bluetooth?
  6. ALurker

ALurker Well-Known Member

The Samsung website says nothing about bluetooth for their dock but in another thread somebody said the following:
    Richman21 likes this.
  7. Richman21

8. flashdrive

flashdrive New Member

Eh, not really. depending on which one you go with they're around $5-$9 for the three-pin .100 pitch connector - and that's not bulk pricing.
    alostpacket likes this.
  9. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

The pins are incapable of transmitting audio, and the dock has a single stereo port for output. Therefore, the only way to make that port output audio is to have a Bluetooth pairing.

So the dock isn't just a passive charging station. It actually has a Bluetooth chipset for pairing and audio components for DAC and output.
    alostpacket and Richman21 like this.
  10. nkk

nkk Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where to get the pogo plugs? Just the plugs with connectors for input to the plugs. Possibly on a small circuit board, but not much more.

Thanks,
    nkk
  11. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

Now that everyone has got the pricing bashing out of the way:

Once it's docked, how do I wake up the phone? The power button is not accessible (think about how it's docked with the pogo pins).

Does VZW have this yet? Obviously this is Samsung retail pricing.
  12. Richman21

Pure speculation at this point, but I would guess that the phone does not automatically go into sleep mode when docked. I will know for sure on Tuesday afternoon when my dock is delivered. Hopefully I will have a chance to put together a short video of the dock on Tuesday when it comes in.
  13. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

That would suck if it never slept on the night stand, I'd be sending the dock back ASAP.

Let us know how it goes! Maybe the volume will wake it? Maybe not? Maybe it will wake it and modify your preset volume? ugh.

I have a razr maxx, and it docks, and all buttons are on the top, AND it can sleep, ie turn off the screen while I'm sleeping.

I'm hoping for the best with my VZW SGN!
  14. ALurker

ALurker Well-Known Member

I saw someone else suggest that since the power button is sitting against the dock maybe just pressing down on the side of the phone will depress the power button and wake the phone.
  15. crankerchick

crankerchick Well-Known Member

Meh. Docked on a nightstand = used as an alarm clock, of which some people would like to see the time. The dock app in previous versions of Android dim the screen in the dock, but I still see the benefit in turning it off completely. I can't imagine there's no way to toggle the screen in the dock, but stupider things have been known to be designed in such a way.
  16. alee0729

alee0729 Well-Known Member

Dock is here.

Fits extended battery, no problem.

Does not seem to consistently go into Dock mode.

Does not come with any power adapters.

Comes in a ziplock bag.

Have not tried audio.
    ALurker and Nabraham like this.
  17. Nabraham

Nabraham Well-Known Member

Do you have a case on your phone? No power cable is weak.

Thanks for the initial impressions. I look forward to the full review. Think you could take some pics or a quick video?
  18. alee0729

No case. Definitely will not fit with a case.

Very stable, no worries about it tipping over.

Will take pics tonight if nobody else beats me to it first. My 30 second assessment... it's nice, but definitely not $90 nice.
  19. alee0729

Had a few minutes... so here you go.

Attached Files:

20. jackburnt

jackburnt Well-Known Member

Looks great. If it were cheaper, I would actually pick one up.
  21. john30308

john30308 Well-Known Member

Without access to the power button, can you shut off the screen?? (See posts above)
  22. alee0729

Nope. I may see if I can set up a Tasker action to do that.

-Al
  23. ymDroid

ymDroid Well-Known Member

If you just want a nightstand dock....here's what I use with my Nexus.

http://www.ezestand.com/index.html

I had it remaining from my Droid X, but the Nexus fits perfectly.

*It does not activate a dock mode.
    *It does not all for HDMI out.
    *It does not allow for audio output.

It's just a stand, but a nice sturdy one. It holds my Nexus up, so I can see it in alarms clock mode at night.

For $12.99 with free shipping, I can select the desk clock mode myself and save $77.01 for a dock that does the samething.

You can choose the right angle or left angle charging cable for $2.99 depending on your preference of orientation tot he left or the right side.

ezeStand - Buy it Now!
    Ufkal and sneakking like this.
  24. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

What exactly is "Dock Mode"? Does it go to landscape on the lockscreen I assume>? Bring up any kind of weather widget? Is it just a clock that stays lit then when unlocked it's like normal user mode when undocked?
  25. streetfish

streetfish Well-Known Member

maybe if you just touch the screen it wakes :confused::confused: