• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Polaris Office - can't overwrite existing file

ianpwilliams

Sep 14, 2011
I have a Word document on my Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 phone, which I sometimes update on my PC, and sometimes update on my phone. And when I update the document on either device, I email it to myself to save and update it on the other device. But when I update the Word document in Polaris Office on my phone, I never have the option to "Save", just to "Save As" under a different name. I have a shortcut on my home screen to the Word document, so I want to be able to save the existing document.

Does anyone know why Polaris Office won't let me save the existing updated Word document as it is? I looked at the properties of the file, and it's not read-only or protected or anything.

I'd also be interested to know if there is a way of updating the outdated file on the other device through syncing, rather than emailing it to myself and saving over it, because when I download the attachment to my phone, it saves it under a long and random name, which is also an annoyance.

I notice that when I email myself documents to my gmail account they arrive write protected even though they were not when I sent them.

As for syncing documents between phone & pc dropbox or similar is probably the easiest free option. Documents to Go has a function that will sync desktop & phone but you need to by the unlock key.

Reactions: ianpwilliams
Upvote 0
I've put the Word document in my DropBox folder on PC and Android, and it updates it on the other device when I modify it. And for some reason I am also able to save now in Polaris Office. One thing I would like is if Polaris Office zoomed in on the text a bit when editing the document (maybe there is an option for it to do that), but apart from that, it's all working nicely. Thanks!

Reactions: nicka3200
Upvote 0
I have a Word document on my Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 phone, which I sometimes update on my PC, and sometimes update on my phone. And when I update the document on either device, I email it to myself to save and update it on the other device. But when I update the Word document in Polaris Office on my phone, I never have the option to "Save", just to "Save As" under a different name. I have a shortcut on my home screen to the Word document, so I want to be able to save the existing document.

Does anyone know why Polaris Office won't let me save the existing updated Word document as it is? I looked at the properties of the file, and it's not read-only or protected or anything.

I'd also be interested to know if there is a way of updating the outdated file on the other device through syncing, rather than emailing it to myself and saving over it, because when I download the attachment to my phone, it saves it under a long and random name, which is also an annoyance.
i have the same problem after updating the Polaris Office. Anyone has answer to this problem

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones