• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Just bought two of these today, and they are now selling the model PMID701i. It comes with "Android 4.0" Not bad for a store price of $99. We do buy things at Big Lots and are in their affinity program. So yesterday we made our 10th purchase of $20 or more within a year, and our next purchase got us a 20% discount. By buying these today they cost us only $79 each!

Question: can this rooting technique work with 4.0?

Upvote 0
Just bought two of these today, and they are now selling the model PMID701i. It comes with "Android 4.0" Not bad for a store price of $99. We do buy things at Big Lots and are in their affinity program. So yesterday we made our 10th purchase of $20 or more within a year, and our next purchase got us a 20% discount. By buying these today they cost us only $79 each!

Question: can this rooting technique work with 4.0?
I bought one yesterday. I've got a variety of iOS and Android devices... this one is quite good for the price.

It appears to already be rooted... or at least "semi-rooted" as the previous 2.3 model was.

There is a blog post that describes how to add the Android Market to it... simply by copying over a few .apk files and running them. I tried it and it worked.

I don't have enough posts to post a link here, but if you look for...

"Polaroid's New Android 4.0 ICS Tablet is Now in Stores"

the first hit should be to the digital reader. He describes the process there.

Upvote 0
Hello, thanks again for the info. Picked one up for myself the other day. Has anybody had a problem watching videos with this tablet? The kids can watch dragonball on there mothers Kindle Fire, but not on the Polaroid. Web site dbz.tv. Any thoughts ?
Have d/l flash player yet? If not then u may want to go to Archived Flash Player versions Adobe Flash Player 11.1 for Android ver 11.1.102.59 this file is 12.85MB & won't store to the Ext. SD card but well worth the memory use. After d/l & installing hit done then go to the apps page & select "flash player settings" under Local Storage I checked only from sites I visit. I checked dbz.tv & it works fine u can also get Crackle, TV.com, THE CW, & other free tv apps from GETJAR, & Amazon app stores. I have been using it now for a while with no conflicts. I haven't rooted mine yet, I bought 2 & gave the other one to the kids ,have heard about some getting bricked & know if it happens to mine fat chance getting it from them.lol I have been wathing this forum & freaktab.com but am waiting for a good clear working set of instuctions, This is to NICE a pad to brick the whole family is enjoying them.

Reactions: byteslayer
Upvote 0
I am new to everything in the technical world. I just bought a Polaroid PMID701C and there is an error message under Wi-Fi in the Wi-Fi settings and the box will not check. When I first turned it on I touched Wi-Fi and it asked for my network info and I entered it, but, when I tried to go online I noticed that I was not connected. So I went bact to Wi-Fi settings and found that I culd not get the error to go away or even get the little green check mark in the box.
I have another tablet from panasonic and I have had no problems connecting to the internet.
I am not a tech savvy, but I can follow instructions quite well, so if anyone can help me solve this problem please explain as though you were talking to a five year old.

Upvote 0
I just wanted to give a heads up on this tablet. I performed a rom update using the instructions found on the southerntelecom website to upgrade my tablet to android 4.0 and then rooted using SuperOneClick with no issues. So if anyone wants to update to 4.0 you can do it no problem. I would recommend it actually it is a much smoother interface

Upvote 0
Was this in reference to my specific question? If so, would it be possible for you to elaborate a bit more seeing as how "slate droid" doesn't really help? You may want to quote whoever it is you're responding to in the future. Thanks.

This is not a tablet forum. We have a tablet section but it is mostly for mainstream tablets. Try slate droid. They have sections for all kinds of tablets you have heard of and a few that you haven't.

How was that for specific? Being in a phone forum you should realize that a keyboard is a luxury that is not always available. Google is your friend.

Upvote 0
This is not a tablet forum. We have a tablet section but it is mostly for mainstream tablets. Try slate droid. They have sections for all kinds of tablets you have heard of and a few that you haven't.

How was that for specific? Being in a phone forum you should realize that a keyboard is a luxury that is not always available. Google is your friend.

The fact alone that I posted a question on this "phone" forum's TABLET section regarding the exact same TABLET that was already being discussed, pours water on your apparent hot-headed retort. What I said about "quoting" someone so they know you are referencing them specifically is completely valid. Don't respond in a childish manner because you were told something that a supposed "senior member" with over 800 posts should have learned long ago. As for the "google is your friend" portion, if you were half as quick to READ as you are to spew a few words, you would have seen where I said SPECIFICALLY how I had already searched prior to asking. Look, I understand, everyone has a bad day and sometimes someone pisses in our cheerios, but it's up to you to decide whether or not you want to eat them.

Thanks, anyway, for the response. Have a pleasant day :)

Upvote 0
For those who don't already know, Big Lots recently got a shipment of Polaroid PMID701C 7 inch capacitive display tablets. I've been looking for a decent inexpensive tablet for two years and I finally found one that meets my price/performance ratio.

No custom ROMS yet but I rooted it with SuperOneClick v.2.3.3 and installed all of the Google Apps (it doesn't ship with Google Play or any other Google apps).

I'm attaching my post-root screenshot and shots from the box.

345ogu8.png

on this picture at the top of it from left to right you have home usb radio and bars. what do the bars do? i have them all the time but i have yet to figure out what they are for.

and what is that area called along the top so i know. thanks bp.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones