Policy Change July 1st 2010.General

Last Updated:

1. Clittzen

Clittzen Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I posted this on the Verizon board, but I thought I would as well on the HTC Incredible board since it applies and people may want to know.

So. Thought I would let everyone know that on July 1st Verizon changed it's policy for early upgrades and replacement phones. This entails that Verizon will not under any circumstances early upgrade unless it's one month from upgrade date, or under any circumstances exchange phones outside of 30 day policy as well as defect problems.

Before they would offer you early upgrades whenever it seemed, or let you exchange if you had too many problems.

I found this out because I have TWO defective phones currently from Verizon.

One being a Droid Incredible, which I recieved June 1st and activated. Thus discovering during my first 30 days that all Incredibles have a 60 day worry free guarantee due to backorder. So they are sending me an X instead which I am very pleased about so I don't have to wait another month and a half for a replacement Incredible.

Second being a Moto Droid, bought and activated at Christmas time 09. On the 4th phone in 2 weeks now... all defective.

So, best friend works at corporate. I asked her advice if it is possible to get upgrade or a new phone due to all the issues. She states that, "Yeah policy just changed. July 1st. No trade out periods. Unless you happen to get outsource rep. No exceptions on Droids on corporate end. Against policy to send you a brand new phone or even a early upgrade."

She continued to explain I am an EXCEPTION due to the Incredibles 60 day policy.

So you can still get refurbs... That's about it though.

Advertisement
    waynester likes this.
  2. Terabethia

Terabethia Well-Known Member

Well that's good to know! I tend to have good luck with phones so I just hope that my luck continues to hold out with the DINC so none of this will effect me.

If it ever gets here! LOL.

3. jayochs

jayochs Well-Known Member

wait, i'm confused....

i've got new every two, and i'm up in feb...however, on the phone with tech support over my crappy eris the other night, i was told that since i'm the primary line i get early upgrade for no apparent reason whatsoever, and i can go and get a new phone at the NE2 pricing right now...this was a few days ago, so it was still july. was their info wrong? do i have to wait till jan/feb now?

4. Clittzen

Clittzen Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

It just changed so I am told. But, you could be getting someone that...

A. Isn't aware of it.
    B. Who knows. Not everyone follows policy at VZW I guess?

So grab that NE2! :) I'm crossing my fingers to find someone that will do what they did for you for the Moto Droid.

5. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

Thats called "Annual Upgrade" and not any special exception. All primary lines are eligible for annual upgrade if they meet the minimum monthly requirements.

Answers to FAQs

6. jayochs

really?! so for the past 8 or so years, i could've been getting a new phone at the NE2 discount after having the phone for only a year?

so right now, i can get the Inc for 199. that's the same price for NE2, right? so it's the same pricing, but a year earlier? hmm....

7. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

Yes 2 year contract price but you do forfeit your NE2 credit and the meter for it restarts, 100% worth it imo. I get a new phone every year, I have never actually used a NE2 credit :cool:

gidget likes this.
  8. Terabethia

$199 is the normal upgrade cost. NE2 gives you an extra $50 off, making it $149.99.

And if you are like me, there is an additional promotion upgrade for yet another $50 off.

Ordered DINC's for myself and my fiance and we paid $99.99 each. Both of us used the NE2 discount and whatever that promotional thing was (never had it before and didn't bother to ask the details, just accepted my extra $50/off without question! :D).

9. jayochs

OH! Ok, so the NE2 is practically $100 off (because yeah, I usually get that two $50's off) alright...so hmm.

i want the INC. don't want to wait a month for it. don't want the X because it's gigantic and I hate the UI. sick of my eris because its slow/laggy as shit when i text.

UGH. what to do.

10. PaulG1488

PaulG1488 Guest

Definitely good to know thanks for info

11. EgoDogg

EgoDogg Well-Known Member

I would wait 1 more month. $50 off is a lot of dough, and the Dinc is so backordered right now, you likely wouldn't get it until after your ne2 credit would be available anyways (if you go through verizon). You said your ne2 is up soon, right?

12. mister_tu

mister_tu Well-Known Member

clittzen, noodz.

13. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

I got my Incredible on release date and I only have 17 months until NE2

14. gidget

gidget Well-Known Member

i did not know that! i absolutely did not know that. that is so weird. so that means if i bought my phone in november 09 (my droid, but my inc exchange did not restart the clock), i can get another phone at the 2 year contract price this coming november? NE2 is just another $50 off? there's fine print i haven't been reading, isn't there? curses!

thanks for the info!

15. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

It is true you can upgrade each year, but not sure that qualifies for everyone. I believe there is a minimum monthly dollar amount your line needs to be to qualify. Additionally you lose the NE2 discount and there is a $20 early upgrade fee associated with it. I'm under a corporate account so there is more leniency there...

16. mdonova33

mdonova33 Well-Known Member

That's awesome! !!!!!!!!
    Sent from my HTC Droid Incredible

17. dgold82

dgold82 Well-Known Member

I can confirm this, we are on a family plan and we are all constantly using each others upgrades. We never get the $50 NE2 credit because we never wait long enough but I also don't remember having to pay the early upgrade fee...In fact, most of the times we are granted exceptions to upgrade even earlier that once a year.

18. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

I most likely won't be upgrading my phone until NE2.

This phone is hella sick and I'll be milkin this baby for another 17 months.

Anyways, LTE won't be any good until maybe the start of 2012 which would be the only reason to upgrade from this phone. That and Super AMOLED.

19. Terabethia

That's my thinking, too. I am pretty good at keeping my phone the full 2 years, my only exception was the LG Chocolate. I hated that thing!

I also tend to get attached to things so it has to be one helluva upgrade for me to change.

20. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

same here!

21. kyler13

kyler13 Well-Known Member

You mean 2011. Expect LTE phones next Spring.

22. Terabethia

I think he was saying that you don't necessarly want to jump on the first LTE model that comes out. Wait a bit and let them work out the kinks before getting one.

It's kind of like Apple products. They don't even remotely begin to get it correct until the 4th or 5th gen. :D

23. jayochs

naww, it's up in february lol

24. Terabethia

Well in that case, I would just spend the extra $50 and order it now. Waiting a month for the DINC is better than waiting until Feb for whatever else :)

Assuming that you really don't like your current phone and are itching to get a new one, that is!

25. jlb0305

jlb0305 Well-Known Member

From my experience with verizon defective phones in past 2 years. You must have 5 defective phones in 6 months for a different phone. I had 7 defective centros in 13 months but not 5 in 6 months so unfortunately I had to stay with the piece of junk centro until I got my inc.

I think the early upgrade thing only effects the ne2 discount. You can still get a new phone at 2 yr price after 12 months from what they told me I did have to pay a $25 upgrade fee though when I got the centro b4 my old contact was up.