• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

POLL: ARE YOU STILL USING YOUR GALAXY NOTE 7?

ARE YOU STILL USING YOUR GALAXY NOTE 7?

• Total voters
Yes, I'm still using mine. It's my second one. Green battery. Got it from Verizon in exchange for my first one, which I got from Verizon on pre-order. I still love it. I'm still using it because there's nothing else out there that comes close to qualifying as a substitute for another year, or even more?

Upvote 0
Yes, I'm still using mine. It's my second one. Green battery. Got it from Verizon in exchange for my first one, which I got from Verizon on pre-order. I still love it. I'm still using it because there's nothing else out there that comes close to qualifying as a substitute for another year, or even more?

This mandatory forced update is going out in Europe for all N7s including green battery icon, won't be long before it goes global.
http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-note-7-battery-limit-60-europe-724425/

Will you be happy to continue using a phone, where the battery is limited to 60% charge, and keeps on nagging for you to turn it off and return it?

Frankly I think they should have gone the whole hog, and locked them all into permanent airplane mode.

Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0
This mandatory forced update is going out in Europe for all N7s including green battery icon, won't be long before it goes global.
http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-note-7-battery-limit-60-europe-724425/

Will you be happy to continue using a phone, where the battery is limited to 60% charge, and keeps on nagging for you to turn it off and return it?

Frankly I think they should have gone the whole hog, and locked them all into permanent airplane mode.
And I hope all users see smart enough to freeze updates! Just make the recall mandatory if you really want it back and give everyone time to get what they really want!

Upvote 0
I don't think you can freeze the updates. When I had the first Galaxy Note7, I had auto-update disabled. One day I got a notification for an update and I knew it was going to limit the battery so of course I ignored it. A few hours later, my phone shut down in the middle of using it and installed the update.

They literally forced the update and there was no way to stop it.

If T-Mobile in the US does this with the replacement Note 7 as they did with the first Note, I'll go down to the S7 edge. I can't have my battery life limited.

What I don't understand is that if this issue is so urgent as the media likes to say, why didn't Samsung do this update already?

Upvote 0
I don't think you can freeze the updates. When I had the first Galaxy Note7, I had auto-update disabled. One day I got a notification for an update and I knew it was going to limit the battery so of course I ignored it. A few hours later, my phone shut down in the middle of using it and installed the update.

They literally forced the update and there was no way to stop it.

If T-Mobile in the US does this with the replacement Note 7 as they did with the first Note, I'll go down to the S7 edge. I can't have my battery life limited.

What I don't understand is that if this issue is so urgent as the media likes to say, why didn't Samsung do this update already?

I just got EZ Disabler (from the Play store) and disabled 'Software Updates' (com.sec.android.soagent). It no longer shows up listed in Application Manager, but I can still see it listed and disabled in EZ Disabler. I also disabled notifications from both the Samsung and Android instances of the 'System Updates' app.

I'm hopeful (but not absolutely certain) that will cover me from being forced into receiving or even being notified about a new OS version. I definitely don't want my battery capacity capped. I'm not interested in even considering it until we get a definitive, complete explanation of what causes the battery meltdowns.

Upvote 0
Yes, still have mine. I've looked for a new T-Mobile 64GB Note 5 to replace it with, but only finding used Swappa phones available. On top of that, I'm not excited about downgrading to a phone that's over a year old when my current one is running like a champ. I plan to keep it until new Note 5s are on sale or until the Note 8 comes out. Reducing me to 60% battery won't bother me as I have fast chargers everywhere.

Reactions: RaymondP
Upvote 0
Yes, still have mine. I've looked for a new T-Mobile 64GB Note 5 to replace it with, but only finding used Swappa phones available. On top of that, I'm not excited about downgrading to a phone that's over a year old when my current one is running like a champ. I plan to keep it until new Note 5s are on sale or until the Note 8 comes out. Reducing me to 60% battery won't bother me as I have fast chargers everywhere.
I'm counting down the days until the Huawei Mate 9 is available. If that turns out to be disappointing or too expensive for what's offered (looking at you, Apple, Google Pixel) I'll just get the Mate 8.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones