Poll: Does anyone actually use the trackball?

Ever use the trackball?

1. All the time, i can't live without it

15 vote(s)
    25.4%
  2. Only when i take a picture

6 vote(s)
    10.2%
  3. Only when i need to move the cursor one letter to the left

28 vote(s)
    47.5%
  4. Well, i guess it lights up to let me know i have mail...

6 vote(s)
    10.2%
  5. There's a trackball?

4 vote(s)
    6.8%

Last Updated:

1. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've had my hero for several weeks now, and i've barely used the trackball at all; once or twice for fine tuning the cursor position (functionality that could easily be replicated by a couple of cursor softkeys) and when using the camera (which is only because they *make* you use the trackball).
    I wouldnt be surprised if we start to see android phones released in the near future without the trackball.

I wouldnt mind, but i searched the app store and i couldnt find a marble madness clone anywhere! Does anyone use the thing on a regular basis or find it indispensable in any other way? Any good apps or games that make use of it?

While i'm at it - i dont think i've EVER pressed the call button (furthest one on the left), always use the touchscreen instead. I just pressed it now for the first time to see what it would do, and accidentally dialled somebody, they just called me back to see what i wanted, because all they could hear was the clacking of keys as i typed this post. :D

Advertisement
  2. spenspuma

spenspuma Well-Known Member

I use mine a bit when I'm on the net and there's a few clickables close together, it helps highlight the one I want more accurately...although I do wish it worked more like a mouse and controlled an actual cursor instead of it just highlighting clickable links.

I also find it invaluable when it glows to say I've had a message

3. Ziani

Ziani Well-Known Member

Think its cute, use mine quite a bit, fine tuning, camera - although since cupcake I also use the screen to focus and take pickies, nice to have the choice. Also need it for certain games like Mystique which I love. Also what I really love about it is the fact it flashes for messages etc, great when I have phone on silence or just missed them.

4. itsmoirob

itsmoirob Well-Known Member

Love the option for "Only when i need to move the cursor one letter to the left." :-D

That's me.

5. qdigga

qdigga Member

I use mine a bit. I'd say about 30-40% of the time. I switch between the two (touch and trackball) on the fly without even thinking about it. This setup is so intuitive and natural.

6. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

I mainly use the Trackball for taking photo's and Moving the line across text and every so often. I wish the HTC Magic like a camera button on the side though , that would be useful :D

7. darrinaltman

darrinaltman Well-Known Member

How do you enable the trackball notifications? Will it really do that?

Thanks in advance.

Darrin

8. malbon

malbon Well-Known Member

Good for glowing on notifications ! And xgalaga !

9. qdigga

qdigga Member

How do you get your trackball to glow on notification??? Thanks

10. malbon

malbon Well-Known Member

See other thread on this page

11. t3monkey boy

t3monkey boy Member

Bloody hell had the phone for 2 months and didn't realise you could use it to scroll through a message or email. Been struggling for no reason. Use it mostly for games.

12. CitizenErazed

CitizenErazed Well-Known Member

Thinking about it, I do use it to scroll webpages in landscape mode, because I'm left handed and if I use my left hand to scroll via the touchscreen it tends to cover the light sensor, making the screen darker.

13. joeyscar

joeyscar New Member

Never use it, except for moving one letter over to correct a text error.

14. quantumrand

quantumrand Well-Known Member

With addition to using it for fine tuning cursor positions and clicking the right link, I also use it to scroll through menus when my finger would be in the way (like the Featured Apps in the app store).

15. Archon810

Archon810 Well-Known Member

I only use it for moving a few characters around where I type. In general, it's pretty crappy right now as it takes ages to scroll through even a few characters. It should be a lot more accurate and pick up speed as you scroll more to be usable.