Poll: If 4G data costs more than 3G data for the EVO, will you still get it?

If 4G data is mandatory and costs more than 3G, will you get the EVO?

1. Yes! I don't care about monthly recurring costs.

19 vote(s)
    35.2%
  2. No! Price gouging is wrong. / I don't live in a 4G area

33 vote(s)
    61.1%
  3. What the hell is 4G?

2 vote(s)
    3.7%

Last Updated:

1. esone1ll

esone1ll Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Let's see if the price difference matters!

Advertisement
  2. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

pointless thread Hesse already stated publicly in a keynote just after the EVO announcement that they will NOT charge anything extra to use 4G, if you have a data plan you are covered... 4g is cheaper technology for them to utilize than 3g anyway, why would they charge EXTRA

SHO_ONE likes this.
  3. mybad

mybad Active Member

Anybody care to hazard a guess as to which one I chose?:confused:

4. esone1ll

1. HTC EVO 4G landing on Sprint mid-June, 4G to be a $10-20 add-on? -- Engadget Mobile

2. Just because something is cheaper does not mean a corporation will pass those "savings" on to the customer. (cf Verizon Wireless).

5. Covert_Death

yes i know engadget posted this, they were speculating... then Hesse publicly said in a keynote the next day that 4g would NOT be an extra charge ontop of 3g, if you pay for data then you get 4g with that

6. esone1ll

Covert_Death,

I hope hope HOPE you are correct. But I have been burned by VZW in the past w/r/t data charges, so I'm not making any bold claims until we all have proof. Real, PR-based proof.

7. Covert_Death

i'll get the video if i can find it and post back here... when Hesse says something, he makes sure his facts are straight, i'm pretty sure it ain't gonna cost extra

8. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

9. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

It's the hotspot feature that will be an addon and it's driving me nuts that these people are just repeating the incorrect info. Hesse and every insider info out there says it will not cost any more. It makes no sense to charge more.

Sprint and Verizon didn't start charging more when they upgraded from 1xRTT to EVDO or to EVDO Rev. A. TMo doesn't charge extra if you are lucky enough to get into an HSDPA+ area. It's suicidal to think people will pay an extra monthly fee for something that is an added feature in a growing number of areas.

What *is* common is to have carriers charge a bit extra for tethering plans. Tethering is seen as an addon and a premium feature so they typically charge more for it. There are always ways around that and I'm sure they will still exist. Still, it is cheaper than the old tethering plans.

Personally I will get this phone and use it on the Wimax network here in Baltimore. I will not be paying extra to tether but I may install a 3rd party program to enable tethering if I find I need it every so often. My laptop already has integrated Wimax so I'm not too pressed to tether here in town anyway.

10. dylan88

dylan88 Well-Known Member

i dont live in a 4G area :(

11. neodorian

Exactly. It is a new feature and rolling out over major cities and into others as time goes on. It would be stupid to charge or in any way separate this from the normal service. The way they have always presented it is that you can use your current plan and this phone just like you always would and when you enter an area where Wimax is available you will have faster speeds.

Think of it like the rollout of 3G. They didn't charge extra but as phones all started supporting it and it was available in more places, they changed their plans to be based on different amounts of minutes coupled with unlimited data. With the growing ubiquity of 3G it redefined the plan structure.

Likewise, as 4G becomes more common they will likely change the plan structure again in maybe 3-5 years. As it has been suggested by Sprint employees, the plans will likely be moving more to a data-only thing where you pay for different blocks of data (think of maybe a 5GB/15GB/Unlimited tier system rather than 450/900/Unlimited minutes with all-you-can-eat data).

12. SprintFun

SprintFun VIP Member VIP Member

My biggest fear is that they add a 4G charge onto the bill regardless if you want it or not, or even live in a 4G area. That's the only thing that would keep me from getting this phone.

13. Tasmin

Tasmin Well-Known Member

Since there was no price gouge for 3G AND this is supposed to be Sprint's ticket to competing with the big boys, I would certainly hope they wouldn't be stupid enough to charge extra for 4G. Of course, I also think it's stupid to require people to pay for a data plan if they get a smart phone through their service provider as well, so what do I know?

14. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

I wouldn't know until I know how much more it would be.

15. Oridus

Oridus Well-Known Member

I don't think it's stupid to require a data plan w/ a Smart Phone.

Either way, no matter how much it costs, once I get 4g in my area, i'm on board.

16. Novoken

Novoken Well-Known Member

They already said no extra charge.

17. SprintFun

SprintFun VIP Member VIP Member

That was far from official - until official prices start coming out I'm cautiously optimistic. They also said android 2.1 and the rumors is they're trying for the next android. Also Jackson says the RAM/ROM numbers could change. Just because they said it at the unveiling doesn't mean it will be in the final product 3 months or so down the road.

18. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

I don't really care either way, an extra $10 bucks a month won't stop me from getting the EVO. I know most carriers don't charge extra but look at AT&T, they went from a $20 data feature to $30 when the iPhone 3G came out. And please don't start flaming about Apple and AT&T, I'm just using them as a example. And really if you look hard you can see that VZW use to only charge $15 or so for data until they switched to EVDO Rev A/3G. But Sprint is the underdog here and they need to do everything they can to attract new customers so honestly I don't see them raising the price.

19. SHO_ONE

SHO_ONE Well-Known Member

Depend's on the price... honestly this poitn it moot. Sprint's CEO during CTIA stated there would be no extra charge. Seriously how could they?!?! There aren't enough cities with 4G to utilize the service and wi-fi is a service I already have at home and is provided free at most other places you would visit anyway... 3G is fine for me, I more than likly wouldn't be paying more.

20. Covert_Death

yes but they also said any of those could change... they did NOT however say "no extra charge for 4g!!! (to be changed in the near future)

when hesse says something he means it, he has never been one to over speak but always keeps it inside until he can guarantee what he says... how are they going to charge every evo owner in all 52 states 4g service when only ~30 markets actually have it???? some markets still waiting on 3g.....

21. djkleric

djkleric Well-Known Member

52 states? last i heard there was only 50. just giving you hell Covert, i enjoy your posts.

22. Eguy

Eguy Well-Known Member

I don't even care about 4G, I just want the phone!

23. evotitans

evotitans Well-Known Member

I voted yes, as I would pay (a little extra) for 4G.

But going back to what has been stated, Hesse clearly stated that 4G would NOT cost extra. All though I do believe they might charge for the 4G Hotspot.

Now before anyone says "Well Verizon doesnt charge for their Hotspot" lets remember, theirs would only be 3G, which I have a feeling was a little trick they are pulling to keep customers onboard.

If Sprint decides not to charge extra for either of the two, they are really going to be able to steal some customers.

Verizon gets the Incredible, 3G, while Sprint gets the EVO with 4G....if Sprint has (no extra charge) 4G w/ free Hotspot....and throw in the cheaper plan already, with free m2m.....

Well just which phone/service would you go with?(Albiet depending on your service location)

24. neodorian

But that was not the case for PDA phones. I knew a guy who was a ATT sales rep and I always told him that if he could cut me a deal and beat what I paid on Sprint that I would switch. Since I had a Treo at the time and later a Mogul, they had similar phones but it was $45/month for unlimited data on a PDA. I was under the impression that they actually lowered it for iPhones in order to hit a more mainstream price point.

That's what this comes down to. With something like data you aren't charging for a *thing* where you can base cost on materials, development, marketing, delivery, etc. You are charging for a service which is more nebulous. You need to count it in with total cost of operating the network but they have more room to adjust the price to maximize profits. A lot of times this means keeping a price lower to get more subscribers. Adding costs would lost them more money in potential subs than they would gain by adding on costs to the ones who go for it.

25. Mama Luigi

Mama Luigi Well-Known Member

If and when 4G comes to my area, I will definitely get it. Especially if I can use it as a replacement for my home DSL connection. As long as the tethering costs less than $48 a month it will save me money!

I live in St. Paul, which is about 10 miles away from Minneapolis... hopefully when they say "Minneapolis" in their upcoming 4G areas, they mean Minneapolis-St. Paul collectively rather than only Minneapolis.