2.1%
  5. Fifth One, fml

1 vote(s)
    0.5%

Last Updated:

1. brettlewis

brettlewis Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just got my FOURTH droid, this is how I got to #4

Droid 1: Cell Antenna busted after one month. No calls could be made or received.
    Droid 2: Proximity sensor stoped working + loose keyboard
    Droid 3: Pretty much DOA, faulty RAM, random reboots and resest
    Droid 4: Just got it yesterday, the earpiece doesn't seem work. the only way I can hear calls is if I put it on speaker

I did hear that once you get a fifth phone, they will give you a new phone of your choice? I like the droid, that is, I would like to keep one if it worked. but It doesn't seem that once you get your first refurb that there is a high chance of it working very long. They clearly dont fix them...

Advertisement
  2. MNewmansnow

MNewmansnow Member

Well I'm technically on my first, but I voted second one since i should be going to vzw to get a replacement tomorrow. The problem is that my headphones cut out when the cable is pushed on (basically anytime my droid's in my pocket and I move).

3. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

I'm on my first Droid...Knock on wood, I'm having no problems...Neither is my brother...Both of us are rooted and are running different roms...So far out of 9 people that I know that have Droids, none have had to replace them....

4. brettlewis

Yeah, I have heard of that issue a lot. I havent had the issue (yet)
    Word of advice, if you can, call the 1-800 number instead. they are a lot nicer and aren't hesitant in sending a new phone.

Last time I went to the Verizon store, they pretty much called me a liar and said I was only doing this cause I wanted a new phone. Thats when I talked the the manager who replaced it one site. However, Lots of stores dont have replacements on site, so calling is the best option.

MNewmansnow likes this.
  5. brettlewis

My second one lasted the longest. I think it was actually new since my first one broke in the first month. The problem is, once you get refurbs its all down hill. The phones have issues, and they don't seem to actually address them. I'm about 90% sure that they just clear it an reload the software, and then if it gets turned in again, they might scrap it or something.

I dont know who to blame.. The sticker on it says "Verizon certified like new phone" or some BS, but I doubt Verizon does any real repairs, so I'm assuming motorola is the real "fixer" of droids.

6. brettlewis

You can vote without responding. 100+ views with 10 votes makes me sad. I just want to see how things are for everyone else :)

7. skunkpbguy

skunkpbguy Well-Known Member

First Droid, had it since November with little to no problems.. every ill has been cured by reading this forum.

8. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

Technically, none of these things are QC related. They are, in fact, design flaws. It's the uper management and Engineering department that is to blame. (I work as QC in manufacturing.)
    It seems like Motorola's engineers have become too used to using proprietary phone jacks, and have underestimated the build requirements of the standard 3.5 mm phone jack. This is REALLY unfortunate because, for me at least, it is a huge selling point on any MP3 player phone. (I really hate those proprietary jacks where you're limited to the manufacturer's headset selection or the unlicensed knock-offs which tend to be very cheaply made.)
    Also on either the upper management or the Engineering Dept.'s shoulders is the responsibility for the decision to use a gold foiled white plastic for the camera button, and the paper thin perforated screen for the external speaker. Obviously these things were chosen to comply with atheistic design parameters, but engineers should know the strengths and weaknesses of the materials they plan to use, as well as the needs of the product they are designing.
    Admittedly, as I make these assumptions, I don't know what the interaction between manufacturer's design engineering group and the cost control (upper management) group is really like. As a QC department subordinate, I never get to witness such things. I do know, however, that often when we (in the QC dept.) find that everything about a produced part technically passes specs on a print, but demonstrates a fundamental weakness that is attributed to an engineering or design flaw, we submit either an acceptance request or a deviation request to the client we make the parts or component for. The first is paperwork confirming that they recognize that we have discovered and recognize the flaw, to cover our ass as a production company. The latter is a request to change the print by changing a dimension or substituting a different material to ensure that what we make is within spec and full compliance to the print. The buck's on the client, and sometimes they say "No", and we simply manufacture for them a part or assembly we know to be flawed in some way. Of course, all measures are taken to absolve us from any responsibility of liability.
    This happens more frequently than most people realize. So when there was a thread about Droids with different keyboards, it peaked my interest. Parts in assemblies are also often substituted with less expensive and even lesser quality ones if they are found to meet the design specifications.

...All you people bringing back your Droids... I feel very badly for you. -I really love my phone. But you are doing the rest of us a tremendous service because if you all didn't bring them back, Motorola wouldn't get hit in their wallet. Even if it's a really small, seemingly insignificant ding in their wallet, it really is the ONLY way they'll notice and raise the bar on build quality. I have a small business in addition to my day job, and when I get a return or an oder cancellation, it sticks out in my book keeping like a sore thumb!
    It is, after all, all about making money.

nycebo and 3devious like this.
  9. bucmoe

bucmoe New Member

I am on my third one. The first one the screen started moving on its own selecting this and constantly pulling down the status bar even when unplugged. The second phone had a scratch in the corner of the screen and the screen had a red hue to it. I don't understand how that one made it out as a "Like New Replacement" it obviously had a scratch and the screen looked terrible. No problems so far with this one but who knows why it went it. I kind of wish when you get a replacement that you would could get the information for why it was sent in. I guess though that would make you more paranoid and would probably keep sending it back to them.

10. 3devious

3devious Well-Known Member

Most of my Droid related issues are design flaws. As a person who had one of a handful of perfectly working Dares last year, I will enjoy my luck but I don't want to press it far enough to buy an HTC product.

11. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Second one. My first Droid was so loose in the lower left corner of the screen; it felt like a Blackberry Storm. My second one still rocks a little in the corner but it's usable, and I assume they can't get it to line up perfectly flush with the keyboard on a slider phone. I would have returned it but this phone is a good overclocker; it runs at 1200MHz all the time and even 1300MHz on some kernels! :)

12. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Second one as well. First one had a problem with the notification LED. Blue, Green, and all other colors wouldn't work (Missed call shows you all the LED colors available). My only notification LED that worked was Red...that's annoying :mad:

Second one (brand new...not refurbished)...no issues in 3 months.

13. Motormech

Motormech Well-Known Member

Droid #1 3G stopped completely
    Droid #2 3G stopped completely and headphone jack was loose
    Droid #3 3G stopped completely

I don't know what I am doing to them but I got a pattern going. I'm not rooted and I don't think I have any unusual apps. Just waiting to see what Droid #4 brings.

14. refuzeandrezizt

refuzeandrezizt Well-Known Member

On my first one, with no issues as of yet. I've had it for a little more than a month, and I treat it like it's part of the family. Reading all these posts with issues scares the crap out of me though. I will just continue to knock on wood every morning ;-)

15. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

On my first, no issues, even my battery cover is tight, my KB slide is tight, and the screen is scratchless.

I bought my phone on Nov 6 and it was delivered Nov 7....

16. jaydotelloh

jaydotelloh Well-Known Member

Yes, quality control and the design and manufacturing are quite different things. I am a mechanical engineer who actually specializes in design and manufacturing (they are closely linked). Whats very interesting is that Motorola is actually a Six Sigma company (Six Sigma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) where 99.99966% of the products they manufacture are "supposed" to be defect free (essentially 3 out of every million products produced). However, as you were saying, this all depends on what is "within specs".

The droid designers were probably very conscious of the costs of their design, BUT, with great quality comes great COSTS. Most engineers can design a perfect system, but the cost will obviously render this design un-manufacturable. Ive personally never had a problem with my Droid, but hearing about all of the people who have returned their droids tells me that either they are really picky about their phones, OR, Motorola needs to tighten up their specs!

17. brettlewis

I didnt mean to bash QC in anyway. I really doing know how they fix them and what department does. my bad. The Verizon lady told me they change hardware on refurbs, which just didn't seem reasonable to me. All of my issues have been hardware failures as far as I know.

However, When I went in today. We got my phone working for a minute and in that minute they blamed me for all the issues :confused:
    They said ALL issues are cause by users and apps the install.... This is why I will call the 800 number from now on...

18. jaydotelloh

jaydotelloh Well-Known Member

Before my droid I had HUGGGGEEE problems with razr's and my voyager, and I learned Verizon in-store tech support is (on average) some of the most knowledgeable "tech" people I have ever dealt with. Some of them are great and some do try to help, but it seems that it is NEVER the phones fault, its always user error (they told me having too many text messages was the reason my keyboard backlight on my razr no longer functioned...seriously???). Terrible business strategy to essentially call the customer stupid.

19. MNewmansnow

MNewmansnow Member

Thanks for the advice. I may still try going to the store though and see how that works out since I would like to look over the referb first to check for any problems. If they don't have referbs on site or deny my problem I will definitly call the 1-800 #. I really hope the first referb I get will also be the last.

Also I ended up not being able to go today as I thought I would. Hopefully I can get there tomorrow.

20. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

No worries, Brett. I didn't think you were bashing, and I wasn't trying to "straighten you out" on anything at all. But since I work QC I figured I could shed some light on what goes on in the pre-production stages, that's all. Some of it is pretty shady and clever in a weasely sort of way. The process of QC for manufacturing dates back to the Industrial Revolution. Here's a great example;
    Henry Ford would order engines for his cars in wooden crates. He specified that the crates had to be so long by so high by so wide, made with a specific wood, constructed using specifed fixtures, etc. His QC dept would reject the engines if they weren't crated according to spec.
    Know why?
    He was using the crates as his bench seat substraights.
    Crafty bastard!
    Manufacturers will do what ever it takes to deliver quality that is just good enough for as cheap as possible.

21. teschoen

teschoen Well-Known Member

I've had zero problems with the droid. I use it every single day to place calls, listen to music, navigate, write and read eamils and texts.

3.5mm jack is fine, keyboard is holding up. I've had it since release day, and have been nothing but pleased with it.

I can't help but wonder if I got lucky or if some of you flolks are just way too picky... or even install bad apps. I mean really, for the guy whose 3g cut out 3 times.. Is it possible you installed the same app all 3 times or made the same setting change all 3 times and just didn't realize it?

Every problem I've had with this phone I caused. A quick uninstall, or reversal of configuration change brought it all back.

Maybe being an AR Programmer has made me take things slowly and not screw the phone up too much.

22. screamster

screamster Well-Known Member

Kind of wondering this also.

How do you guys transport your phone? Do you "man handle" it?

I keep mine in my pocket and have never dropped it or anything like that. I have had my phone since November 2009 and it works flawlessly. Absolutely no issues. Am I just lucky?

23. 3devious

3devious Well-Known Member

I think it's luck. I am pretty abusive to my stuff. I also install bad things from time to time. (It is a shock that I haven't rooted yet, but doing things they way "you're supposed to" is an experiment for me this time.)

I've dropped my Droid. It's fine. My husband's was being a little flaky before he dropped it and is still only a little flaky.

24. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

I find that the slider feels loose if the phone is dropped. My first phone suffered a very hard fall after I took my pants out of my gym locker and it came out of my pocket and went flying across the floor. After I dropped this one once, it felt a little looser as well (barely noticable). Maybe it's a placebo with this phone, but my first one was DEFINITELY loose after falling on the hard locker room floor.

25. clintiepoo

clintiepoo Well-Known Member

I'm on my third. The first two had audio jack problems; cracking and popping.

Now this refurbished third, which I got Saturday, shows a ? in the battery icon. I'm going to return it too, sigh.