Poll: Squiggly Headphone Jack

Does your headphone jack squiggle a little?

1. Yes, it does.

44.4%
  2. Not at all. I plugged my headphones in and the jack didn't move a bit.

55.6%

Last Updated:

1. Bond J

Bond J Active Member This Topic's Starter

I have had three Droids and all of them have had a little squiggly jack. Just wondering how many of you have it.

Plug in the headphones. Hold your phone and try moving the the headphone connector a little in all directions. Its not that the connector inside the jack that squiggles its the whole connector that does.

Vote away.

Advertisement
  2. Bond J

Wow. No one has even a slightly loose jack?

3. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

Squiggly as in a squiggly line OR wiggly as in a loose connection?? And I dont think trying to make it wiggle is helping your situation :D

Mine is pretty solid for the time being.

4. Bond J

The connection is absolutely fine. Its the Jack where the headphones go in that moves in its place a little. Not the headphone connector but the whole connector assembly. Just a tiny little bit.

5. soulesschild

soulesschild Well-Known Member

I had issues on my old droid where the connector would wiggle and cause all sorts of audio problems. Replaced it and haven't really put it through it's paces yet but hopefully it'll be better.

6. Nepherim

Nepherim Well-Known Member

Mine has a slight wiggle. Nothing too major, but it does move, and probably shouldn't.

7. Bond J

I think all droids have a minor wiggle but hey thats just me. Maybe I was unlucky with two droids.

8. clemarr

clemarr Active Member

Mine wiggles. I notice how easy the plug goes into it. I have tried all 3 of my headsets and they all have the wiggle. I don't think it should do that. On my Ipod Touch you can tell how firm you have so push on it to get it to snap in. Makes me wonder how long it's going to last with it being that easy to insert on the Droid.

9. Bond J

You have to push the headphones in until it clicks.

10. teschoen

teschoen Well-Known Member

I use that jack a bunch and have no problems on mine..... Other than it is hard to find at night when the droid is in the car dock and I'm driving.

11. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Yes, it is wiggly. That was the first thing I noticed when I plugged in my headphones to my Droid. I also noticed that the feeling when the jack "clicks" into the port is different. It "clicks" only once when you push it all the way in.

Anyway, I thought it'd be an issue but I've had no problems so far with it, so whatever.

12. Bond J

SO I went into the store today to check the other droids out. 5/5 droids plus 3/3 on display all of them had loose headphone connectors.

13. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Food for thought...

I am of the opinion that what you are calling or perceiving as "loose" is actually the design of this particular output jack, and not necessarily a bad thing. The jack appears to have about 1/16" of wiggle room around where the jack sleeve fits into the plastic boss. Umm ... so what? The bottom line for me is functionality and durability. I have plugged and unplugged my DROID probably about 400 times already, and the connection is solid with no signs of that changing. The audio signal is very solid as well. I'm a happy man.

14. yerfdog2314

yerfdog2314 Member

I had two Droids because my first one had dust under the screen, and the headphone jack wiggled on that one. But on my new one it doesn't. My old one also had a loose battery cover too so it may have just been messed up in production somehow.

15. Bond J

I guess there is not end to my OCD.

I oberserved that when I pushed my headphones in, the socket where the jack goes in, receeds by about 1mm right before the push required to make the click between the headphones and the socket. I dont know if thats normal...

16. Nepherim

Agreed, the jack does have some wiggle room around the sleeve. I'm not sure I'd agree that this is by design though. It may be but without taking the unit apart, I'd be concerned with stress on the connections of the jack to the board.

My guess is that this is going to be a problem over time. However, this is based on the slack tolerances in other aspects of the phone (camera button, volume button, keyboard, etc), not on specific knowledge of how the headphone jack is connected.

17. Bond J

Maybe its to prevent tension on the socket from normal pulling of the headphones?

18. Bond J

Can someone please confirm the moving of the socket a little bit in and out even by a 1mm when plugging in and out?

19. Bond J

Bump bump bump

20. Nepherim

Yes, I see movement in and out, as well as laterally.

21. clintiepoo

clintiepoo Well-Known Member

My jack was loose when i put in headphones and made a bad popping sound in them. I exchanged it because of this and my new droid doesn't have this problem.