• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Poor ATT Service and Inspire

Akayak65

Lurker
Feb 20, 2011
Was curious if anyone else was having similar issues and maybe a solution? I purchased the Inspire 3 weeks after it came to the Denver market from Costco. I was previously using the BB Curve 8310 and have been an ATT customer for about 5 years. Compared to the BB, I really like this phone with all its features.

However, I am having major service related issues with the Inspire with poor call coverage and dropped calls in my house and on the road where ATT has historically had no issues. The two other phones in my house are a BB Bold 9000 and a new Samsung SGH-A667. The Denver market does not yet have 4g coverage. While in my home the Inspire shows 1 bar of service on the display and most times I’m not even able to make a call. I’ll go outside in my driveway or out to the sidewalk and the same poor service exists (according to the HTC website, you need at least 2 bars to make a call Unable to make or receive phone calls on the HTC Inspire

FWIW, I just got the Inspire, and at my house, where I normally get full bars w/AT&T, I'm being between 1-4 bars, as the indicator is fluctuating alot on H+. Signal strength is at best in the high -80s dBm. All my Nokias,and AT&T branded MOTO Q had full bars, and even my T-Mobile branded Motorola Defy, which has AT&T's 3G band, also gets full bars, at -60dBm to-75dBm.

All the AT&T branded HTC phones I've tried (Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2, Fuze) all exhibited similar tendencies. Got a deal on this and picked it up from co-worker, so my girl could play Angry Birds, but I wouldn't trust it for making calls if needed. If this were my first AT&T phone I'd also tend to think "it's the network".

Upvote 0
I was having this issue also, I went into an att store and talked to them about it, they gave me a free micro cell no strings attatched..They were totally cool about it...Funny thing is, another guy came in shortly after (same issue) and was threating to leave att just being a prick and they said sorry we cant help, I just laughed...
A Micro Cell will not help me if it is happening everywhere I go.

Upvote 0
I have had 7 weeks of this issue along with having problems receiving calls. I have a micro cell at my house and the issues were the same..... with or without the micro cell. I also have ATT and have talked to numerous technicians, numerous X's. The first inspire I got had a bad microphone and the ATT store replaced it with a new phone and now it is over 30 days and I can't return it. I love the phone but hate the issues with dropped calls and sometimes receiving calls and sometimes not. Finally, someone at ATT is shipping another Inspire. Should get it tomorrow. Wish me luck. I have had the micro cell since January and have had a full signal with my old phone, Xenon.

Upvote 0
I have had 7 weeks of this issue along with having problems receiving calls. I have a micro cell at my house and the issues were the same..... with or without the micro cell. I also have ATT and have talked to numerous technicians, numerous X's. The first inspire I got had a bad microphone and the ATT store replaced it with a new phone and now it is over 30 days and I can't return it. I love the phone but hate the issues with dropped calls and sometimes receiving calls and sometimes not. Finally, someone at ATT is shipping another Inspire. Should get it tomorrow. Wish me luck. I have had the micro cell since January and have had a full signal with my old phone, Xenon.
I am glad that I am not the only one. I am going to try to get out of my contract and hope they will let me without paying the ETF fee. I have called and complained and even have had one replaced with the same result. Now my Blackberry is only getting 3 bars wherever I go in town and I have a new sim card as well. So we will see.

Upvote 0
I am having the same issues- so many dropped calls- often having to dial the number more than once. I went to ATT store and they switched the SIM card and gave me a Micro Cell for the house and still not any better- my calls drop at home, in my office and in the car-- Everything else on the phone is fine but this is a serious issue and is beyond frustrating. I will go back to the ATT store and see if they will switch out the phone with another Inspire-

Upvote 0
I am having the same issues- so many dropped calls- often having to dial the number more than once. I went to ATT store and they switched the SIM card and gave me a Micro Cell for the house and still not any better- my calls drop at home, in my office and in the car-- Everything else on the phone is fine but this is a serious issue and is beyond frustrating. I will go back to the ATT store and see if they will switch out the phone with another Inspire-

I'm on my second. I wish you luck and pray this one is the one for me. It's a great phone otherwise just wish they'd take a look at the way its set to connect. The manager at my local store reset the tower lock by putting in a code to use GSM towers only. It's a recent update so I'd ask about that. Best wishes!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones