Poor Battery Life-Exchanged

Last Updated:

1. dburch48

dburch48 Member This Topic's Starter

I thought my battery was performing bad (battery lasts about six hours at normal use). So I returned it and got a new one. I then deleted all of my widgets that automatically update. So far the I have had the phone off the charger for 11 hours and I only have 30% left, with below normal use.

I have used all of the apps to look at battery use and what has been draining it.

My question is for Android Veterans...will the battery life get better with updates? Am I doing something wrong? Battery use is almost all android system. Any insight on this would be amazing.

Advertisement
  2. bruceo

bruceo Well-Known Member

What smartphone have you had that you can get 11 hours and still have 30% left? My past experience is with 10+ yrs with pocketPC and windows mobile and on my last touch pro I would be lucky to get 4-6 hours without using the phone at all, just in standby with screen off. I have been amazed to get 6-8 hours hardcore use and 12+ hours of moderate use with Hero Dorid and Eris, hero was the longest by far, but to me that rocks

3. dburch48

I used to have the original Storm. I could use it heavily for a day and a half on one charge. I haven't been able to make it from when I get up to when I go to bed so far.

4. hagar852

hagar852 Active Member

I also had the storm and got the same battery life you were getting with it. Just remember one thing, the droid is far more powerful hardware wise than the storm. I have roughly 40% left at 10:08pm with it being off the charger at 7:00am. Yes it isn't as good as the storm but look at what this phone does over the storm. More power usually requires more juice. At first I was still adjusting to the battery life of this phone and thought oh man the battery doesn't last quite as long but when I use this as much as I used the storm it does last me through the day like today for example.

But when I first got the droid I. Couldn't stop playing with it. I love this phone, and was only getting 12 hours but when I don't play with it every 5 min it lasts a lot longer

5. dburch48

I'd be fine that that fact if thats what I knew thats what I was getting into...I read that standby with no use the battery would last 11.25 days and almost 6.5 hours of continuous use.

Yesterday I didn't pick it up to check my email or anything and it lasted 12 hours...I knew that I wasn't going to be near a place that I could charge it.

I love the phone and the widgets, but if I can't use any widgets to use my phone throughout the day it is pretty tough to keep around.

I was just looking for insight on if updates will help with this? I don't want to take it back but I don't want to lose out if it will always be like this.

6. vzwdroidtech

vzwdroidtech Active Member

Manufacturer posted battery life specs are a YMMV situation. Under lab conditions & no widgets, maybe 11.25 days is possible. Fluctuating signal, widgets, sync, wi-fi, GPS, etc. will negatively impact life.

I too, had Storm 1, and would get up to 16 hours a day of hard use and have 30% on average left over. Like an earlier poster said, the DROID is FAR more powerful than Storm 1 or 2.

It is a trade-off to be able to do more, and I can live with it. I also used to have the Samsung i760, and regularly kept two extended batteries with me everyday, and needed it. Now, one battery, 12 hours, still looking for the app for global domination (there's an app for that LOL). I love this phone! :cool:

7. e39e60

e39e60 Well-Known Member

I can say that it "feels" like the battery gets better after a week or so of use. I could just be crazy.

I tend to kill all apps with advanced killy thing late at night. Overnight some tweets and email come in but in the morning I'm at 80% up to 90% charged.

I don't keep the Droid on charger overnight. I charge in the car and when I get home I top it off in the cradle.

Mostly I've slept today so no voice calls. Battery is at 40% with all radios turned on (inc. Bluetooth).

Running apps include Meebo that was logged in to two accounts for a few hours, Market, FeedR doing it's updates, e-mail, Last.fm but not actvive, Twidget Lit Locale.

Last night I listened to about 2 hours of podcasts streamed to my BT speaker via Bluetooth.

That's about 18 hours I think off charge. Last time it was on cradle was right before I took it off to check a setting for someone here last night.

I think that's pretty good with music listening via BT and multiple MULTITASKING apps.

8. Legacystar

Legacystar Well-Known Member

6.5 hours talk time, not continuous use with the screen, thats talk time with screen off