• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Poor Battery life on Droid X?

How to prolong lithium-based batteries (BU34)
Battery research is focusing heavily on lithium chemistries, so much so that one could presume that all portable devices will be powered with lithium-ion batteries in the future. In many ways, lithium-ion is superior to nickel and lead-based chemistries and the applications for lithium-ion batteries are growing as a result.
Lithium-ion has not yet fully matured and is being improved continuously. New metal and chemical combinations are being tried every six months to increase energy density and prolong service life. The improvements in longevity after each change will not be known for a few years.
A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges.
Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as "digital memory". Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate.
So if I understand this correctly; its okay to charge my phone as many times as I want. Say, its 4:45PM and my phone is dying, I plug it in for 15 minutes, unplug, plug it back in when I get home to continue charging... unplug after 30 minutes, plug it into my car and then use---> THIS IS OKAY?! This sounds awesome if so... I'm not sure how much I trust this source though. I would want to read this from other sources as well.

Upvote 0
So if I understand this correctly; its okay to charge my phone as many times as I want. Say, its 4:45PM and my phone is dying, I plug it in for 15 minutes, unplug, plug it back in when I get home to continue charging... unplug after 30 minutes, plug it into my car and then use---> THIS IS OKAY?! This sounds awesome if so... I'm not sure how much I trust this source though. I would want to read this from other sources as well.

Yes it'll be fine.

Upvote 0
First I dont believe your story about a phone tester. Verizon doesn't need outsiders to test their equipment. Sounds like you have never owned a full screen smart phone. Battery life is always tricky. But id imagine a 4.3 inch screen on full brightness is going to drain faster than even the MOTO Droid with 3.7 inch screen. Maybe you could be more specifics about the length of charge your getting.

I really enjoy responding to people who don't know what they are talking about. First, I never said "tester", you did. I said I review phones for VZW. It's called the Verizon Wireless Customer Council. LOL, and I've owned more smartphones than most people have because of the Council, and because of my jobs with both Verizon Wireless and AT&T. You can doubt me with your obvious ignorance, but that's cool. If you just want proof, go to Howardforums and search Verizon Wireless Customer Council.

Upvote 0
As to battery life, I got mine last night (let's say, 12:30AMish). Charge was reading at 75% or so out of the box. Between then and the time it died (5 minutes ago, about 12:05), I was on the phone approximately 1.25 hours, played with it for about 1.5-1.75 hours and it got about 12 hours of battery life total...so not too bad from where I'm sitting but maybe I have low expectations

Upvote 0
I really enjoy responding to people who don't know what they are talking about. First, I never said "tester", you did. I said I review phones for VZW. It's called the Verizon Wireless Customer Council. LOL, and I've owned more smartphones than most people have because of the Council, and because of my jobs with both Verizon Wireless and AT&T. You can doubt me with your obvious ignorance, but that's cool. If you just want proof, go to Howardforums and search Verizon Wireless Customer Council.

I suggest not giving anymore of your time to this poster. The mods have already been contacted regarding his behavior.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones