• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Poor battery life.

exBBuser

Android Expert
Jun 6, 2010
Miami,FL
Ok,this is my first android phone,coming from a bb I've notice that the battery life on my EVO sucks,I bought the phone yesterday and put it to charge while playing around with it.I unplugged the phone this morning at 7am,I make a 5min call,watched a 5min video on YouTube,I had Friend Stream running until noon along with Background Data,surged the web for around 2min,listened to 2 songs and a couple of txt messages and the battery on my phone is @ 40% as I'm writting this,notice that background data was turned off around 1pm at that point battery life was @ 60%.is there any way to improve this?I am not running ATk,by the way I love the phone,a lil bit of help will be apreciated.Thanks in advance.

Like you, I, too, traded in my beloved Blackberry and took the plunge to Droid. I love my Droid Incredible, but the battery sucks on it. Correction, the way I use the Droid Incredible drains the battery very quickly. I'm basically using it in the same manner I used my Blackberry; Having Twicca fetch my tweets every 5 minutes, the weather syncing every hour and BuzzBox pulling down news feeds every hour. Of course, that excludes sms messages, occasional web surfing and phone calls. If I unplug it at 7 am, I'd be charging it again by noon. If I can go 12 hours on a charge, without too much sacrifice in the form of use, I would be grateful.

Upvote 0
I suspect that friendstream may be causing some drain to the battery as it may be constantly updating itself and using data.

About how long does it take for your battery to get to 15%? If you can get more than 11hrs of moderate use on the phone before it gets under 5%, your doing better than me. The most I can get on a regular/normal 8 hour working day is about 11 hours before it drops under 5%.

Im using a Moment btw.

Don't give up, there are a few tips and strategies out there for improving battery life. Just gotta be a little proactive :)

Upvote 0
I'm having a similar problem with my Evo although it's not as bad as your situation. I unplug it at 7am, I run Ebuddy in the background and that's it. 30 minutes of browsing the web, 5-10 minutes of video, casually checking it every 30 minutes and I played about an hour of games on and 10 minutes of youtube. The battery was dead and I didn't have it for my bus ride home. So I made it to around 12:30-1pm my time from 7. I didn't seem like I used it too much really, 45% of my battery usage was for cell standy and Android System. I'm thinking about getting a second battery and charger so I can swap out during the day and not have to worry about it.

Upvote 0
I suspect that friendstream may be causing some drain to the battery as it may be constantly updating itself and using data.

About how long does it take for your battery to get to 15%? If you can get more than 11hrs of moderate use on the phone before it gets under 5%, your doing better than me. The most I can get on a regular/normal 8 hour working day is about 11 hours before it drops under 5%.

Im using a Moment btw.

Don't give up, there are a few tips and strategies out there for improving battery life. Just gotta be a little proactive :)

I'm definitely not giving up,it took me about 10 hours before dropped to 5%.I did a couple of tricks that I got from here earlier and it seems to be working,I been playing with the phone for about an hour on a 3g network and battery is @ 78%..

Upvote 0
Since my previous response, I downloaded & installed Advanced Task Cleaner 2.0, completely charged my Droid and then unplugged it. I set the Task Cleaner app to my liking and started using it with moderate use and I am shocked that I was able to go about 20 hours before I needed to charge it again. Hopefully, that;s not a fluke and will be the norm. Only time will tell.

Upvote 0
Let the battery run down. Plug it in to charge. After two or three cycles, you should notice a distinct improvement in battery life.

Like you, I, too, traded in my beloved Blackberry and took the plunge to Droid. I love my Droid Incredible, but the battery sucks on it. Correction, the way I use the Droid Incredible drains the battery very quickly. I'm basically using it in the same manner I used my Blackberry;

Yeah, and what processor powered your BB? Did it have a 3.7-inch screen with a 480x860 resolution? Run at 1 GHz? No. It ran on a rubbish, outdated processor and it had a shittastic worthless screen that comes with a shittastic, worthless, low-res display (whatever model it was, all BBs are like that); of course it consumed less power. A little realism here, please.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones