Poor call quality confirmed by HTC & VZWGeneral

Last Updated:

1. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My Inc has gotten to the point that I do not like using it much to make calls, due to muddy call quality and voices dropping in and out. I tried the usual resets, *228 and assured my settings were CDMA & PRL. Today, I called Verzion and a rep stated very clearly that they have had a lot of calls about the problems and HTC is working on a software update. I then checked with stores and our company account rep is also aware of the issue. I am surprised Engadget and others have not picked up on this yet.

I asked one rep how they can be sure a software update would correct this and what happens if they can not. The rep then was empathic that it would be fixed by software update.

The issue must be the real deal, since everyone appeared to say the same thing- almost script level. The only people that appeared to be clueless were some at the local Best Buy in Lexington. A sales person said they had heard nothing, but another said they had got complaints.

I feel bad for doubting people that stressed concerns about this over a month ago. I had a few issues, but attributed it to the other person's connection, since I had not noticed it happen much. My call quality has seemed to have gotten worse in the past month. Everything else about the Inc rocks, but the phone function is a rather important one.

Question is, what happens if a software update does not fix the issue?

Thinking about it, the EVO cult may latch on this like clingfilm.... Nothing left to see, please move along....

Advertisement
  2. c_aus

c_aus Disabled

Then VZW and HTC will probably have a lot of damage control to be doing with their DINC owners!

3. winstonoboogie

winstonoboogie Well-Known Member

I'm sort of wondering how such a thing can even be fixed through software. Is it not simply a hardware limitation?

4. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

The bitrate/bandwidth utilized during the call can be adjusted via software. Generally, the more robust the codec, the better the audio quality...assuming one has link quality sufficient enough to support the higher bandwidth.

Radio transmit/receive power may be able to be adjusted as well.

SCARLETnGREY likes this.
  5. ckelly33

ckelly33 Well-Known Member

I've had issues with this as well. Looking forward to a fix.

6. Dex

Dex Well-Known Member

My call quality is fine. I live in Tennessee and I can go from an area with superb coverage to one that isn't quite as strong and don't notice so much as a hiccup. There are places "out in the country" that just doesn't get Verizon coverage at all, but so long as I've got a bar... my calls sound just fine.

I came from an LG Voyager that had amazing call quality, but I can say that it sounds better than the Droid or the Eris. Take that for what it's worth. I haven't gone through a bunch of tests, but I use my phone quite a bit.

7. teufeltexan

teufeltexan Well-Known Member

That's been my experience... My hearing sucks, and call quality has been my #1 complaint on every cell phone I've had for years.

The incredible marks the first time I don't find myself saying "What?" 10 times per call... I've also noticed that the folks I'm talking to aren't doing that to me anymore, as well...

I may be one of the luckiest Inc owners in the country - decent stock battery life (before I went with the 2150), no bugs and great call quality.

8. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

I've had the same issues with call quality. It's really my only complaint about the phone. People I'm calling haven't complained.

9. kenpo

kenpo Member

No problems here. I must be another lucky 1.

10. rushmore

I agree the issue is odd. I thought it may be network area related, but had the problem on a trip to DC. Same problem in DC, and east KY, WV, and Virginia. Phone signal was fine in most places, but call quality was consistently poor.

Used GPS a LOT and it was perfectly clear, but Inc audio call quality is poor, regardless of which speaker, so not an ear-speaker issue.

11. upther

upther Well-Known Member

The only time I've had issues with call quality is when I talked to my friend who had MetroPCS but she has since corrected that and all is well.

12. A.Nonymous

That's the same thing with me. I've not used my phone with a BT headset though and that may correct the issue though I doubt it. To clarify, the issue is with me hearing callers clearly. They're garbled and they break up. The people on the other end can hear me just fine with no complaints. I just have problems hearing them.

13. rfox54

rfox54 Active Member

My call quality problem is strictly volume, or lack of it. I sure hope they can figure something out, and I am sure they will.

14. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

When I spoke to a VZW tech support person, she told me that there was "trouble ticket" out on the DInc call quality. That means a lot of folks had been complaining and they're looking into it.

15. A.Nonymous

I've given people that line before.

16. Jeffruby

Jeffruby Well-Known Member

Switch to tower B on settings. Google it if your unsure what this means. Made a Huge difference for me

17. Trooper

Trooper Well-Known Member

Nice to see that they are aware of it. I just wish they would release this "software update" and get our phones in normal working order.

18. kyle1745

kyle1745 Well-Known Member

Strange and I wonder if it is a device or area specific issue. For my this is the best call quality I have ever had on a cell phone. Clear and clean on both ends.

19. sgtmilstack

sgtmilstack Well-Known Member

I received my new Incredible this morning to address the same call quality issue. The new device (manu. date 6/15/10) sounds about same as the old one (5/14/10). Calls taken place near home in NYC.

I feel that the Incredible isn't jiving well with my local towers, but what do I know.

Hoping that a solution arrives SOON.

20. Jeffruby

Guys, problem solved. Before i switched towers to b, heard soft muffled sounds. Need to google directions, but so easy. Google" tower b incredible" just dial 4 digit number to open tower options. Night and day!

21. smurfe

smurfe Well-Known Member

I did a few test calls on the floor model at the local store before I ordered mine. I thought the call quality and volume were superb. Hope mine is as good when I get it.

22. sgtmilstack

sgtmilstack Well-Known Member

Thanks! Is this solution the same as EVRC-B tower selection? If so then I'll give it another try (didn't quite improve call quality on my original Incredible).

23. Jeffruby

24. Jeffruby

25. rushmore

This only works in certain network areas and causes calls to not work at all in more areas than not. Most are not set to work with it.

"Beer", it's what's for dinner.

heyeaglefn and sgtmilstack like this.